Thinking of Joining a Social Anxiety Group

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Apothecary

Reaction score
Over the past 9 weeks or so, I've been trying to work on my anxiety and depression with mixed results. I've had several visits my psychologist so far, and she's mentioned a social anxiety group a few times. I'm always hesitant about this sort of thing, but I think I'm going to call her and get some more details about it tomorrow and maybe give it a shot when it starts up. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with groups based around similar problems, and, if so, were they good or bad experiences?

With support groups it is basically the luck of the draw. Some are helpful and others less so.
I go to two reading groups which are also support groups for people with a range of problems-mental health issues, loneliness, alcohol problems etc and find them very helpful. It's nice to be able to go somewhere where I can just be me. I did go to another support group though which I didn't find helpful.
In your place I would give the support group a try. If you go and then find it isn't for you, at least you will have tried it.

I went to an Aspergers support group a couple of weeks ago and found it really good. As problems with people are a big part of Aspergers Syndrome probably a social anxiety group would be fairly similiar. It felt relaxing to be with people where I didn't feel different, where it was normal to find relationships a massive struggle and where holding down a job was seen as something absolutely terrifying and so stressful because of having to work with others. I didn't feel like a worthless failure there.

If you went, you should give us an update. Maybe it will encourage others to try.

I've always liked the idea of joining a support group for something like social anxiety. I'd probably relate to people well there because I have the symptoms of social anxiety, aspergers, and just not being able to relate to others in general.

The problem is, where the heck do you find such a group?
If I ever knew about one, I would join, but I've never seen or heard of them.
I think I've searched online for ones before but didn't really find anything.

I used to be a part of social anxiety group for about 5 months.. It helped me so much it's beyond words and i highly suggest that you should try it out.

el Jay said:
How does one even find such groups?

And msbxa also asked this question too :)

You can find them at community centres, hospitals, "mood disorder's" clinics, and other mental health centres. Your doctor might also know, and there might be a local distress/crisis line that can point you to resources.

Sarah_Lbnz said:
el Jay said:
How does one even find such groups?

And msbxa also asked this question too :)

You can find them at community centres, hospitals, "mood disorder's" clinics, and other mental health centres. Your doctor might also know, and there might be a local distress/crisis line that can point you to resources.

I guess my next question would be how do I find any of those places, and find out if they have help groups? My doctor didn't really have any leads when I asked him a while ago.

Masque said:
If you went, you should give us an update. Maybe it will encourage others to try.

I'll be sure to do that if/when I do go, but, as of now, it hasn't gone ahead, or at least not as far as I know. The psychologist I've been seeing said she'd let me know before it starts up, but it's been a while since I last saw her, and my next appointment isn't until the 30th. I think I'll call her tomorrow to check. I'm worried I may have missed her call, or that she may have simply forgotten about letting me know.

As for finding a group, I really don't have any advice there. The psychologist I was seeing just so happened to be one of the two people who were thinking about starting the group up. She suggested it to me, so I didn't even have to go looking for it. My only suggestion would be to inquire at local clinics and talk to psychologists working in your area about it (maybe a psychologist would be willing to start up a group if there are none currently available in your area).

Latest posts

Back