To outsiders, there is no way I could feel lonely.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalaleah

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post here. Nice to "meet" you all. :p

Here's my deal: I am divorced and single, I have a very active social life. I usually have something planned on my days off with friends, and if not, I have lots of hobbies and interests to fill my time. I don't sit at home and mope around. I work long shifts 4 days/week, and the other days are pretty packed with dinners with friends, guitar lessons, lunch with my dad, going to the beach, reading, errands, doctors appts... you catch my drift.

I still feel lonely inside when i think about real connections with people. It's so weird, because I am SO busy, and I have a social life. How can I possibly be lonely, right? One thing I should mention is that I have a sort of "phone fear", when it comes to personal calls. I take a ton of calls for work everyday, so maybe that's why. I am not good with being in constant communication with anyone, therfor I do not create close connections with anyone (even though I have a lot of "friends").

I have a pretty bad relationship with my mom (she's bipolar), and she lives 1000 miles from me. I see my dad every 2 weeks, but we don't talk much otherwise. Other than that, I don't have any real connection to family. A random phone call once a month to relatives in FL (again, phone fear) is all I can muster so far.

I guess I have a form of social anxiety when it comes to daily closeness with someone. I have never seen this before in anyone else. I have NO trouble striking up a conversation over dinner with friends. I do that almost every weekend, so I am not sure what my issue is. Maybe I am just so used to being "alone" that I don't find the need to talk abotu daily manotony? I find myself feeling empty inside and jealous of people who have close relationships with their parents/friends/family. I see coworkers taling to peopel that they are close to on the phone and it makes me want that, but I just don't have it.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Hi!
I have a pretty active life too, mainly because I have a 3 year old and she's not down for staying home all the time. I do have a few close friends and looking back, we've become close because they took that extra step to reach out and get to know me better and I'm very thankful for that. That's the only insight I can think of - to try and take an extra step to get to know someone better, maybe invite someone over for lunch or dinner or to some event that you wouldn't normally invite someone else to. Making friends does take effort and sometimes you strike out and meet a dud but sometimes you find friends that you can really connect with.
Welcome to the forum!

Teresa

Latest posts

Back