To Sup With A Long Spoon...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaedron

Reaction score
This is one of those obscure phrases / idioms that no one really understands. The object of this game is to post a meaning for the phrase, make up something about it, or use the words "long spoon" and "sup" in a sentence. We can also post other phrases / idioms with similar rules and reply to the poster above with a phrase or defining / sentence made of their phrase.

I'll just start with where I saw the phrase:

"He needs a long spoon who sups with the devil."

I think it started with Shakespeare

Stay at a safe distance from evil people or organizations, so that you don't get influenced by them,

Set a beggar on horseback, and he'll ride to the devil.

How very interesting, there is a long history of the phrase 'sup with a long spoon' used locally as

"It taks a lang spoon tae sup wi a Fifer!"

In these parts it's generally taken to have the meaning that people of this area are proud in being cunning/devious/canny.

It's also interesting about the talk of the Devil, there are much legends that have to do with the Deil himself being around these parts, one of my favourite local legends involves a wizard who is said to have made a bet with the Deil that he couldn't turn the sand on the beach here into rope-legend has it that the Deil is still busy out toiling on the sands to this day.

Lilianna said:
Stay at a safe distance from evil people or organizations, so that you don't get influenced by them,

Set a beggar on horseback, and he'll ride to the devil.

if you're poor and given a horse then you will become corrupt...

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...<i had never heard of this until i watched antique road show>...:rolleyes:

In Hell people are starving, nobody helps you,in Heaven,people are happy and well fed,they sup by feeding each other with a long spoon.

You show me a rich Man and I'll show you a thief. You show me a poor Man and I'll show you an honest one.

Latest posts

Back