To those of you who are single and usually feel hopeless about finding love...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Panda Bear,

Your a hoot :) I think you should have been a comedian!
That was too funny :)

***In my experience (and this was true for me before I became a cynical *******) people like to put love up on a pedestal. They like to think of it as a kind of sheer joy that fills up your soul, as if your heart was laughing.

This is what keeps people from finding it. They're convinced it will happen all at once, as though they meet someone and they have to constantly search for some kind of connection. Most of these people will find nothing.

Love creeps up on you, and grabs you in its grips before you know it. If you're waiting for it, it will not show. You have to go forth assuming it will come eventually but never expecting it to come on time, because if you expect it, you'll usually force yourself into a relationship that will burn out quickly. Love is that evanescent, perfectly bloomed rose; you cannot will it to grow- you must chance upon the right weather.******

Naleena has it spot on...as usual.

It does find you when you least expect it and we do try too hard to go looking for it.

One thing that has always worried me though...why do we all expect us to fall in love and then wait for all of our problems to disappear...there are many things I have to face about myself and deal with...and yes I am in love...and yes my partner is wonderful...but I need to resolve my own issues so that I don't carry them into what I think maybe the rest of my life.

Dave,
Just thought you should know, zraskolnikov wrote that piece....lol I tried to quote him by adding the stars. I have to give credit where it's due...lol It wasn't my piece. It was a cynical panda bear who wrote it...lol :)

davechaos said:
Naleena has it spot on...as usual.

It does find you when you least expect it and we do try too hard to go looking for it.

One thing that has always worried me though...why do we all expect us to fall in love and then wait for all of our problems to disappear...there are many things I have to face about myself and deal with...and yes I am in love...and yes my partner is wonderful...but I need to resolve my own issues so that I don't carry them into what I think maybe the rest of my life.

I will never be able to get into the online dating thing. The reason for this is because it seems that all good dating sites want you to spend some money to gain better access to their sites, but I just don't have the will to spend the time fishing for women.

I have tried replying to an ad once in craigslist but the girl deleted her profile less than day after I replied.

Oh god. I sucks.

EveWasFramed said:
Bloody hell, I nearly spewed the water I was drinking as I read this!:p I'm still chuckling. I pitty the women in your area, if that's what they're into, dude. Maybe you should consider relocating. :p

Believe me, I would love to get out of here. Unfortunately there are certain obligations that keep me tethered to the Sooner state (Oklahoma).

I was exaggerating a bit...but only a TINY bit. :)

I can not give any reason why I have been single through all of Junior High and High School, other than because of luck. I have good looks, I'm talented, and I'm a really great person to be around once you know me. These are things people tell me all the time. Yet everytime I find a girl that's attractive to me for more than just her looks (though those are important too ;)) one of three things will happen:
1)She moves away
2)She has a boyfriend already
3)She turns out to be someone who I am completely incompatable with.

I know that eventually I'll meet someone who will love me, but the pain untill then is almost debilatating.

This surely is the $24,000 dollar question, isn’t it? (long winded, wordy, and perhaps boring post to follow…)

I think I can safely say that there is no single answer to this that will solve this age old dilemma for everyone. I think the first thing anyone should do is to first look at their own self.

For some of us, we may be so shy and afraid that we just don’t know what to do. I am not a shy person anymore, but I used to be very so in my younger days. It is so hard for someone who is afraid of talking to people to go out and try to meet someone…let alone tell someone that you are attracted to or romantically interested in them. The horror of this scenario roots us in our tracks.

Some of us feel sorry for ourselves. We withdraw and don’t do anything. We conclude that we have done everything required to ‘fix’ the situation and have therefore labeled it as something that just can’t be fixed. We then try to resolve ourselves to be lonely for the rest of our lives, but deep down our heart yearns so much for that special someone. We see eHarmony TV commercials and immediately change the channel. We go out and see happy couples, holding hands and whispering sweet nothings to each other. We see this and our soul cries. Oh how we want that happiness that they have so easily obtained, but for us has been nothing but fruitless.

Some of us don’t do anything. Maybe we are cynical, or shy, or scared, or maybe just don’t know any better. We sit at home, and each passing day our loneliness compounds itself. It starts to build up, fill up our lives until we start to drown in it. We are trapped by it, and we grasp for hope like a floundering swimmer desperately trying to get one more grasp of air…

Some of us feel we are totally and completely unlovable. We are too fat. Too skinny. Too ugly. Too poor. Too trapped by a horrible circumstance. Why would anyone want to be with us? We look at the brutal, honest truth…I would never go out with me, why should I expect someone else to?

So what can we do about it?

Well, if you are too shy then the only way to overcome that is to get out there and take the hits. Get rejected. It hurts BAD, when someone you really like, care about, or love rejects you, no matter how gently they try. Eventually you learn to deal with it, and it will no longer affect your confidence. Perhaps a story from a chapter in my life may help. When I was a much younger man, I was terrified of a lot of things. In an attempt to get into shape I started to take ‘boxing’ classes. I never intended to get in the ring with anyone, but as it turned out, I agreed to spar our instructor. I was still a bit shy then, and felt that when he asked me to go a couple rounds I had to say yes. We went full contact, and I was terrified. Here was this experienced, big, strong, and highly skilled boxer getting ready to fight me. Well, the round started and it took only a few seconds for me to get hit…hard…right in the grill. And you know what? It didn’t really hurt! It wasn’t that bad. I took a few more shots and realized that I was not going to die if I got hit. I started throwing punches back. I got into the match. I did my best, referring to my minimal training and instincts. I got into the fight and held my own. Yeah, he was taking it easy on me but still…I had something I had not had in a long time. Confidence. I was no longer afraid to get into a match. I volunteered for a few other matches later that day, and every week I would come in one or two nights to the gym and spar a round or two. Even strangers. I was an ok fighter, could hold my own with some, totally dominate others, and get knocked around by those more skilled than I was. But the self respect I earned knowing that I could ‘take a punch’ really did so much for my psyche. Those I fought became friends with me, out of the respect they had not only for me getting into the ring with them, but also for that respect I had finally found within myself. Suddenly going up to a pretty girl and telling them how pretty they looked wasn’t so hard anymore. I am not saying to anyone that is shy to go out and start getting in fights with anyone! Or even getting into boxing. But I use this event as a parable. It is always scary to do something that you know will end up hurting you somehow. There is nothing that you or anyone can do to make it easy, you just have to do it. And then when you do get hit with those shots you realize that it isn’t so bad. Expect rejection. Expect to be laughed at or ridiculed. And when it happens, take it dead on the chin. You will find a great amount of strength within you, strength you thought you never had.

Feeling sorry for ourselves is a trap. And such an easy one to fall into. We start out resolved to fix our problem. We are gonna do it! We are going to get out of this house and meet people, dammit! I am going to talk to that girl and tell her how wonderful I think she is! I am going to sign up for that dating service! Who cares how scared I may or may not be. Then we fail. We go out and try to meet people, only to find no one really wants to know us. We try and try and yet nothing. We take better care of ourselves, dress nicely, and get out there and engage the world. We join clubs, join a gym, go to the driving range, join a bowling league, an arts and crafts club…only to find that we end up sitting alone within the club, looking at others happily engaging in their social circles. They just don’t seem interested in us at all. The dating service you sign up for won’t even take you as a client! Or of they do no one ever responds to your ad. Or they are fake, scams, shallow people. After so much rejection, so much failure we start to give up. I have done everything, I have tried it all, and it just doesn’t work for me. This becomes our mantra. This is where I find myself at right now. We have 2 choices. Throw our hands up in defeat, or keep fighting. Every night I say to myself at least once ‘that’s it, Its over. I will be alone forever’. But I still force myself to be a part of life. I bake brownies for my neighbors, even thought I have never met them and they have not once said ‘hi’ to me. I have bought some chew toys and given them to someone I see walking their dog. I buy lunch for someone at work for no reason at all. I offer someone a ride when they need it. I help someone move something heavy. I help carry in someone’s groceries. And they still seem to keep me at a distance, and I still may be alone, but in my own sorrow and loneliness I can look in the mirror and say ‘yup, I have done something’. If no one ever appreciates me then I still find some comfort in the fact I have made the world around me a better place. It also gives me hope. Hope that eventually my kindness will not go unnoticed. Hope that the seeds I plant will eventually bloom into a garden of love and friendship. As long as there is hope, then there is a reason to wake up everyday.

If you find yourself not doing anything, just sitting at home all the time, then you will only remain lonely. Whatever demon prevents you from getting out into life you must learn to face. Start small. Post something on the forms. Then pm someone. Pm me. I promise I will do whatever I can to make you smile! Then go for a walk and say ‘hi’ to someone. If you see a pretty girl/handsome guy, say ‘hey! Not to sound like I am coming on to you or anything, but I just wanted to say that you look nice/have a nice smile/hair/pretty dress/sharp tie/etc…’. Smile and walk on. Then before you know it you can jump right into life. You can’t win if you never play the game. Life is about so many things, and pain is one of them. No one ever goes through life without A LOT of pain. But some of the most successful people learn from it and move forward.

Ultimately, we must take inventory of ourselves. We have to look in the mirror. I don’t know about any of you guys, but I usually hate what I see. Physically I consider myself fat and ugly. When we hate ourselves it is painted upon our very beings. Sometimes we may be lucky and find someone that can see beyond our self hate…but we can never count on that. Self improvement begins within ourselves. No matter where you find yourself, there is always a path that leads to change. It may be long and hard for a lot of people, but it is there. Find what it is that we hate so much about ourselves and challenge it. Take steps to improve it. If I am fat, then I go to the gym. Screw the people that laugh at me. I know that when I come home I do feel better. If I am always broke, then what can I do to improve this? Make a budget? Get a better job? If I can’t get a better job why not? Maybe I need to go back to school. I may be physically ugly, and their may not be much for me to do about it. Well screw the world then! I will be so nice, so kind, and so generous that the bright light that shines from within my soul will overshadow any physical ailment I may have. I will learn to play the guitar. I will become the best chef I can possibly be. I will let the world see my poetry instead of my physical appearance. I will bring tears of joy with my art so that it may overshadow your own grotesqueness.

Sorry for being so long winded. I don’t’ have all the answers…if I did I would not be so lonely, nor would I have found these forums. These are just my ceaseless ramblings that I have been known to do from time to time. If anything I did made any sense to you, or made you feel better, then that will make me smile. If not, then I am sorry. If I could ever do anything to make anyone smile, please feel free to ask!

jjam said:
what do you think the problem is? What do you think needs to change before your situation can change?

that an easy one with a impossible solution. If I weren't ME. It that EaZy, and yet it that impossible

grundel70 said:
This surely is the $24,000 dollar question, isn’t it? (long winded, wordy, and perhaps boring post to follow…)

I think I can safely say that there is no single answer to this that will solve this age old dilemma for everyone. I think the first thing anyone should do is to first look at their own self.

For some of us, we may be so shy and afraid that we just don’t know what to do. I am not a shy person anymore, but I used to be very so in my younger days. It is so hard for someone who is afraid of talking to people to go out and try to meet someone…let alone tell someone that you are attracted to or romantically interested in them. The horror of this scenario roots us in our tracks.

Some of us feel sorry for ourselves. We withdraw and don’t do anything. We conclude that we have done everything required to ‘fix’ the situation and have therefore labeled it as something that just can’t be fixed. We then try to resolve ourselves to be lonely for the rest of our lives, but deep down our heart yearns so much for that special someone. We see eHarmony TV commercials and immediately change the channel. We go out and see happy couples, holding hands and whispering sweet nothings to each other. We see this and our soul cries. Oh how we want that happiness that they have so easily obtained, but for us has been nothing but fruitless.

Some of us don’t do anything. Maybe we are cynical, or shy, or scared, or maybe just don’t know any better. We sit at home, and each passing day our loneliness compounds itself. It starts to build up, fill up our lives until we start to drown in it. We are trapped by it, and we grasp for hope like a floundering swimmer desperately trying to get one more grasp of air…

Some of us feel we are totally and completely unlovable. We are too fat. Too skinny. Too ugly. Too poor. Too trapped by a horrible circumstance. Why would anyone want to be with us? We look at the brutal, honest truth…I would never go out with me, why should I expect someone else to?

Well, if you are too shy then the only way to overcome that is to get out there and take the hits. Get rejected. It hurts BAD, when someone you really like, care about, or love rejects you, no matter how gently they try. Eventually you learn to deal with it, and it will no longer affect your confidence. Perhaps a story from a chapter in my life may help. When I was a much younger man, I was terrified of a lot of things. In an attempt to get into shape I started to take ‘boxing’ classes. I never intended to get in the ring with anyone, but as it turned out, I agreed to spar our instructor. I was still a bit shy then, and felt that when he asked me to go a couple rounds I had to say yes. We went full contact, and I was terrified. Here was this experienced, big, strong, and highly skilled boxer getting ready to fight me. Well, the round started and it took only a few seconds for me to get hit…hard…right in the grill. And you know what? It didn’t really hurt! It wasn’t that bad. I took a few more shots and realized that I was not going to die if I got hit. I started throwing punches back. I got into the match. I did my best, referring to my minimal training and instincts. I got into the fight and held my own. Yeah, he was taking it easy on me but still…I had something I had not had in a long time. Confidence. I was no longer afraid to get into a match. I volunteered for a few other matches later that day, and every week I would come in one or two nights to the gym and spar a round or two. Even strangers. I was an ok fighter, could hold my own with some, totally dominate others, and get knocked around by those more skilled than I was. But the self respect I earned knowing that I could ‘take a punch’ really did so much for my psyche. Those I fought became friends with me, out of the respect they had not only for me getting into the ring with them, but also for that respect I had finally found within myself. Suddenly going up to a pretty girl and telling them how pretty they looked wasn’t so hard anymore. I am not saying to anyone that is shy to go out and start getting in fights with anyone! Or even getting into boxing. But I use this event as a parable. It is always scary to do something that you know will end up hurting you somehow. There is nothing that you or anyone can do to make it easy, you just have to do it. And then when you do get hit with those shots you realize that it isn’t so bad. Expect rejection. Expect to be laughed at or ridiculed. And when it happens, take it dead on the chin. You will find a great amount of strength within you, strength you thought you never had.

Feeling sorry for ourselves is a trap. And such an easy one to fall into. We start out resolved to fix our problem. We are gonna do it! We are going to get out of this house and meet people, dammit! I am going to talk to that girl and tell her how wonderful I think she is! I am going to sign up for that dating service! Who cares how scared I may or may not be. Then we fail. We go out and try to meet people, only to find no one really wants to know us. We try and try and yet nothing. We take better care of ourselves, dress nicely, and get out there and engage the world. We join clubs, join a gym, go to the driving range, join a bowling league, an arts and crafts club…only to find that we end up sitting alone within the club, looking at others happily engaging in their social circles. They just don’t seem interested in us at all. The dating service you sign up for won’t even take you as a client! Or of they do no one ever responds to your ad. Or they are fake, scams, shallow people. After so much rejection, so much failure we start to give up. I have done everything, I have tried it all, and it just doesn’t work for me. This becomes our mantra. This is where I find myself at right now. We have 2 choices. Throw our hands up in defeat, or keep fighting. Every night I say to myself at least once ‘that’s it, Its over. I will be alone forever’. But I still force myself to be a part of life. I bake brownies for my neighbors, even thought I have never met them and they have not once said ‘hi’ to me. I have bought some chew toys and given them to someone I see walking their dog. I buy lunch for someone at work for no reason at all. I offer someone a ride when they need it. I help someone move something heavy. I help carry in someone’s groceries. And they still seem to keep me at a distance, and I still may be alone, but in my own sorrow and loneliness I can look in the mirror and say ‘yup, I have done something’. If no one ever appreciates me then I still find some comfort in the fact I have made the world around me a better place. It also gives me hope. Hope that eventually my kindness will not go unnoticed. Hope that the seeds I plant will eventually bloom into a garden of love and friendship. As long as there is hope, then there is a reason to wake up everyday.

If you find yourself not doing anything, just sitting at home all the time, then you will only remain lonely. Whatever demon prevents you from getting out into life you must learn to face. Start small. Post something on the forms. Then pm someone. Pm me. I promise I will do whatever I can to make you smile! Then go for a walk and say ‘hi’ to someone. If you see a pretty girl/handsome guy, say ‘hey! Not to sound like I am coming on to you or anything, but I just wanted to say that you look nice/have a nice smile/hair/pretty dress/sharp tie/etc…’. Smile and walk on. Then before you know it you can jump right into life. You can’t win if you never play the game. Life is about so many things, and pain is one of them. No one ever goes through life without A LOT of pain. But some of the most successful people learn from it and move forward.

Ultimately, we must take inventory of ourselves. We have to look in the mirror. I don’t know about any of you guys, but I usually hate what I see. Physically I consider myself fat and ugly. When we hate ourselves it is painted upon our very beings. Sometimes we may be lucky and find someone that can see beyond our self hate…but we can never count on that. Self improvement begins within ourselves. No matter where you find yourself, there is always a path that leads to change. It may be long and hard for a lot of people, but it is there. Find what it is that we hate so much about ourselves and challenge it. Take steps to improve it. If I am fat, then I go to the gym. Screw the people that laugh at me. I know that when I come home I do feel better. If I am always broke, then what can I do to improve this? Make a budget? Get a better job? If I can’t get a better job why not? Maybe I need to go back to school. I may be physically ugly, and their may not be much for me to do about it. Well screw the world then! I will be so nice, so kind, and so generous that the bright light that shines from within my soul will overshadow any physical ailment I may have. I will learn to play the guitar. I will become the best chef I can possibly be. I will let the world see my poetry instead of my physical appearance. I will bring tears of joy with my art so that it may overshadow your own grotesqueness.

Sorry for being so long winded. I don’t’ have all the answers…if I did I would not be so lonely, nor would I have found these forums. These are just my ceaseless ramblings that I have been known to do from time to time. If anything I did made any sense to you, or made you feel better, then that will make me smile. If not, then I am sorry. If I could ever do anything to make anyone smile, please feel free to ask!

That was awesome.

Sixtyten said:
grundel70 said:

That was awesome.

Yeah, man, that was probably one of the best things I've read on here.

"Then go for a walk and say ‘hi’ to someone. If you see a pretty girl/handsome guy, say ‘hey! Not to sound like I am coming on to you or anything, but I just wanted to say that you look nice/have a nice smile/hair/pretty dress/sharp tie/etc…’. Smile and walk on. Then before you know it you can jump right into life"

If youdid that where I lived people would think you were some kind of nutter

"what do you think the problem is? What do you think needs to change before your situation can change?"
- I do not think you can change it. But then again, as I "always" say:
There is a solution to everything.
To this, I really don't know the solution... after a while you stop caring. Especially if you have been rejected a amount of times.

But sometimes (sometimes) I say to myself that a love relationship is not worth. Because; as they say - love hurts. Yeah, if you got a boyfriend/girlfriend, and she dumps you, be ready to enter hell. Being rejected is can be depressive, but being left alone is probably 100 times worse, without trying it myself.

Janus said:
Sixtyten said:
grundel70 said:

That was awesome.

Yeah, man, that was probably one of the best things I've read on here.

Great stuff!

I've given up on love and companionship, I can't even make friends. I can't imagine what women think when they see me, no normal woman would willfully approach anything intimite with me. It's weird when I think about it, I don't know what my role in life is going to be but I know it won't invovle sharing it with anyone. Its so interesting watching you guys talk about relationships, good luck to all of yous

seekingpeace said:
I've given up on love and companionship, I can't even make friends.

I'm wearing similar shoes. My first and last "love" was one of early teen years, and I am now 26. I feel like I've become super envious of couples. I feel like I'm going crazy when I'm sitting in my apartment "hearing" the sounds of couples next door celebrating their love. However, I feel "giving up" is an unacceptable path to take. I want love, so I choose to remain hopeful. I'm not looking hard, but I believe just changing things about myself would be like changing my deck of cards. Honestly, just working on my posture could probably make some difference. Appearance is probably the very least of my problem. I'm actually a good looking person, despite some flaws. Something inside is terribly off, however. I've grown dark, and I need to find a way to lighten up. People can sense my darkness ALL the time it seems, and that, my friend, has GOT to be some kind of turn off.

I had a partner before obviously, but the guy got what he wanted and i was stupid and naive and he left me pregnant, it will be hard for me to trust someone now.
Maybe i was born to be alone? who knows, no one is interested in me i think, im not pretty enough and mind you i have a child and most men dont want that as a responsibility. If i find someone, that person has to love me and my daughter.

A very weird thing happened this morning though and i dont know if i should act upon it.

Latest posts

Back