Trivia

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spare

Reaction score
This thread is for posting trivia. The more useless the better.

Zeus was the king of the gods, the most supreme of beings. Another name for Zeus is Jupiter. Another name for Jupiter is Jove. So when someone says "By Jove!" (as in, 'By Jove, I think I've got it'), they are essentially saying "By God!" without the blasphemy.

Well, since you brought up Zeus...
He is well-known for having incestuous relationships. :p Even married his sister, Hera.

Useless? Okay

Tupac Shakur is the only artist ever to have an album at number one on the Billboard 200 while serving a prison sentence.

Minus said:
Useless? Okay

Tupac Shakur is the only artist ever to have an album at number one on the Billboard 200 while serving a prison sentence.

lol, nice Minus. :D

Tony Burrows was a "One Hit Wonder" in fact he seems to hold the record by being a "One Hit Wonder" having been one five times. He also holds the record for having for having four records in the British Top Ten at once.

That would seem to mean that everyone would know the name Tony Burrows.

Okay, how can you be a "One Hit Wonder" five times, much less remain pretty unknown.

"The British session vocalist sang Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)," White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'," the Pipkins' ridiculous "Gimme Dat Ding," and the Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand," all of which were big hits in both the U.S. and U.K. in 1970. With his high range and pleasantly anonymous yet versatile pipes, Burrows was an ideal tool for songwriters looking to craft bubblegum or light pop/rock for the AM airwaves -- they were looking for hit songs, not for hit artists, and what did it matter to most consumers that the "groups" didn't really exist?"

The fifth "Hit" was in 1974, as the singer for studio band First Class' No. 4 hit, the Beach Boys tribute 'Beach Baby.'

"In Britain, the beloved BBC TV music countdown show 'Top of the Pops' would weekly feature a performance (usually lip-synced) of several of the bands currently inhabiting the Top 20 U.K. singles chart. On a February 1970 edition of the program, three of the hit groups invited to mime along to their current smash were Brotherhood of Man ('United We Stand'), White Plains ('My Baby Loves Loving') and Edison Lighthouse ('Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes'). When Brotherhood of Man were announced, out came Tony Burrows to sing the hit song. After completion, he strolled offstage to make room for another act, White Plains -- who just happened to be represented by Burrows, who once again took his place in front of the microphone. At the show's conclusion, when the No. 1 hit was finally announced, chart-toppers Edison Lighthouse were invited up to perform -- and, yes, it was Tony Burrows once more.

The show's producers were aghast, and after wiping the egg off their faces, reportedly unofficially banned the three-timing Burrows from 'Top of the Pops' out of sheer embarrassment. "

The phrase "It was a dark and stormy night" was first published in the 1830 novel 'Paul Clifford', by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. It is, of course, the opening line.

Spare said:
..."It was a dark and stormy night" ...

The annual Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest was formed to "celebrate" the worst extremes in this style. The contest, sponsored by the English Department of San Jose State University, recognizes the worst examples of "dark and stormy night" writing.

Minus said:
Spare said:
..."It was a dark and stormy night" ...

The annual Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest was formed to "celebrate" the worst extremes in this style. The contest, sponsored by the English Department of San Jose State University, recognizes the worst examples of "dark and stormy night" writing.

I bet that's a blast!

In June 1999 37% of all flights in Europe were late.

The sitars first known use in a western pop song was in 1965, when The Yardbirds hired a sitar player to provide the main riff of their "Heart Full Of Soul" single. That version and the band's original take of "Shapes Of Things" also featuring the sitar, were however not released at the time.

The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. It was the fashion in Renaissance Florence to shave them off!

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!

great thread

:D

lol
here i thought
I'd add this one

"evanescence" means a dissipation or disappearance like vapor.

:)

Female pigs have 30 minute orgasms?
Of course at the end of it, they're still going to wind up as bacon.

In France there is a law forbidding the sale of dolls that don't have human faces.

Shocking Blue was a Dutch rock band from The Hague whos biggest hit, "Venus," went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in February 1970. Dutch act Stars on 45 reached number one with a medley which included the opening guitar riff from "Venus". Five years later, British girl group Bananarama covered the song [Venus] and likewise scored a major hit worldwide: the song was number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week of September 6, 1986 and it was also the top single of 1986 in Australia. This makes it the only song in the history of the Billboard charts to hit number one three times (albeit the Stars on 45 song only included a portion of it).

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water in England during the 1500s. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and children, and last of all, the babies. By then, the water was so dirty, you could actually lose someone in it.. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water."

The team of a geneticist, a philosopher, and a chicken farmer have determined that the egg came first.

"Blueberry Hill"

The music was written by Vincent Rose, the lyrics by Al Lewis and Larry Stock, published in 1940.

Originally recorded in 1941 by Gene Autry and appears in the movie "The Singing Hill", later it was recorded by Glen Miller, in 1956 it was a hit for Fats Domino.

As trivia on trivia, the Al Lewis who co-wrote the lyrics is the same Al Lewis who played Grandpa on "The Munsters" TV series.

Some local folks in Enlgand during the 1500s started running out of places to bury people. Consequently, they would dig up coffins and take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside, and they realized they had been burying people alive. So, as a result they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, "saved by the bell."

Latest posts

Back