Trying really hard to be social :-/

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoogieHK

Reaction score
Hello,
I am feeling really anxious am at a turning point in my life:
End of relationship, sold house, bought a new house, looking forward trying to be positive, but really just like to be on my own.

I'm lonley but just uncomfortable about people

Am trying really hard to go out and be social but really struggle / feel anxious and out of place :-(

Tips please ?

I guess it's important to recognize these feelings, you are very brave to go out and be social, probably you feel anxious because you still don't have some people around who you can trust/who are safe for you.
Focus on how it is good for you to try and be a bit social, and sometimes just acknowledge your feelings and give yourself a break with some nice activities that you can do by yourself, stress free

Find things that you feel comfortable with... See if you can find groups or social events that interest you... You can be social & be comfortable because it's about something you enjoy...

I agree with the above. when you pursue avenues you're most interested in, you'll never know who will turn up. Many people don't do this.

Above all, patience is especially important. I can't tell you how many times to the most innocuous situations that fear and anxiety tend to exasperate things. Rationalize that you are bombarded and take the time to calm down.

I feel that's the best advice I can come up with. I struggle to follow it to the letter.

The good news is that feeling nervous and uncomfortable around people is very common. The bad news is there is no way around it.

You just have to dive in and hope for the best. In my experience - I've found that once you actually get out and meet people, they're not as bad as you may have thought they were.

Meeting new people can be very difficult - these days people are so wrapped up in stressful jobs, financial troubles and too much information coming at them 24 hrs a day. Don't take it too personally / don't let it discourage you if someone brushes you off initially. Easier said than done - but life goes on - and so must you!

I think life is more complex now than it has ever been - we're all adjusting and nobody is perfect!

Latest posts

Back