Upset

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
So I have a cat. I have had him for 8 years. For about 6 of those years.. he has seemed to have hairball problems. He heaved but almost never actually thew up a hairball. I thought that was normal. But recently it has gotten much worse and none of the things I gave him for hairballs seemed to work. I googled it and came upon asthma. I thought... no... couldn't be. But last night he pressed the point having something like 10 attacks during the night. I tried to get him into his carrier but he won't go into that on a normal day... never mind when he was sick. I had a box from moving and I put him into that and taped it up and went. OMG what a nightmare. First, I almost got into a car accident because he found a weakness and almost got out... then I get there (I had to go to an emergency place) and they tell me it is asthma. But he is so bad they had to give him some sort of sedation just to get an x-ray.

You know... any other day-- ANY OTHER-- my vet which is 5 minutes down the street would have been opened. But due to the holiday and the fact that it is Sunday... nope.

After all that... I take him home and he is a mess. First, he cries like it is hurting him to go to the bathroom. Then he sounds much worse breathing wise (even though they gave him o2 and abuderall there). They wanted me to give him the meds tonight but I don't want to do that because of the sedation which hasn't worn off. I want to see any side effects in the morning.

They gave me meds but apparently I have to give it to him in a certain way and I have NO idea if he will actually eat the meds.

Of course I begin a period at work where I can't take time off.

I just hope it helps. I guess I am just really mad at myself for not recognizing that it wasn't hairballs.

{{{ hugs }}}

Poor kitty. Hope things calm down so you both can feel better. Its hard diagnosing medical issues with pets and cats hide problems, its like they try to remedy themselves before they ask for help.

There's no point being angry at yourself. There is no way you could have known that it was asthma and not hairballs. You know what it is now and you've got him the medical care he needs, so you're doing your bit. I know countless pet owners that are willing to give up their pet or have them euthanised at the first sign of having to pay out any money, so on that score you come out miles ahead.

I hope that you and the kitty are feeling better today.

I'm so sorry Lonely Sutton to hear that your cat is poorly.
If only they could talk and let us know what's wrong. It would be far easier than having to guess.
You've sought medical help now so don't beat yourself up.
Do you need to give the medication orally as I find wrapping mine in a big towel and cradling them like a baby helps. You can then prise their mouth open, put the tablet in and then shut their mouth till they swallow. Or alternatively wrap it in a piece of their favourite treat.
I hope you were able to give him his meds and you and he are better today.

Big *****hugs ***** from me to you.

I'm sorry, OP.

But you got your cat help, so you know he's okay. I have a cat with kidney disease, and recently he went through a 2 week stay at a vet's office...he was healthy up until then. I am glad I saw the sign that he was sick, because he could have died, but I wish I had seen it sooner.

Glad to hear that your kitty has a diagnosis, and I understand that you feel bad, but cats really are little imps when it comes to hiding being unwell.

If your cat is anything like my three, giving them medication if it is in tablet form will soon make you think 'you absolute furry little monster,' as you disinfect your bleeding scratches, and contemplate the tablet you thought they had swallowed being spat out on the floor with complete contempt.....

Gotta love 'em :D

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, LS. I hope that he will be okay soon. :\

Thanks everyone. It is possible... possible.. I figured out the problem. I hope. This coughing really picked up in the last three months. But I have noticed issues with him before that as I mentioned. For the last two years they seemed to be coming about every three months. So I presumed it was hairballs. But about 4 months ago I got a new faucet. He had always liked drinking out of the old one which was much lower and had less water pressure. So it was easier for him to drink out of. Now he is very bad at drinking out of this faucet.

Today he did that and immediately went into an attack. And I thought... is water going up his nose and into his lungs? The faucet before he was higher than the faucet. This one he is lower and he awkwardly tips his head under it to get the stream.

I think this could be it...

Latest posts

Back