Username problems

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Oceanmist23

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly wasn't able to write more than 10 characters in the Username field when trying to log in.
Since I have 11 characters in my username I had to go via a no permissions page and log in from there.
I don't know why it works on no permission pages and not on the normal log in page.
I also can't PM anyone who's username is longer than 10 characters!
I use the Firefox browser, but the same problem occurs in Explorer too.
Another member has the same problem, so I'm guessing the problem lies within the forum engine somewhere?
Moderators please help, I can't PM people with long usernames :(

Qui, I got an email saying you had replied to my post but I can't see any reply lol did you take it away??

I saw you wrote that you can't PM evanescencefan91, me neither!!

Lol evanescencefan91, if you're reading this, we can't contact you! :(

i was having the same problem earlier. have you figured out how to fix it?
Oceanmist23 said:
Qui, I got an email saying you had replied to my post but I can't see any reply lol did you take it away??

Hi there. firstly you should of made this thread in feed back.

I well look into it. Well BRB

OK It was set to only allow members to have up to 10 letters in a name. It must of been different when you registered. Anyway I have changed it to 15 letters so you should not have a problem now. I well PM you (Oceanmist23) A link to this thread so you don't miss it :) If its still not working all thou it should be OK now but if not post here are PM me.

Bluey said:
OK It was set to only allow members to have up to 10 letters in a name. It must of been different when you registered. Anyway I have changed it to 15 letters so you should not have a problem now. I well PM you (Oceanmist23) A link to this thread so you don't miss it :) If its still not working all thou it should be OK now but if not post here are PM me.

I'm wondering what made you look into this problem now when only two weeks ago I notified you of the same issue and the only thing you felt necessary to reply was, and I quote: "I use FireFox and I have never had a problem with PM,s"

And why in the world do you have username limits? I see you finally allowed space as a character, so it won't destroy the table layouts, so what's with the character limiting after you already have hundreds of members? If you made mistakes that drew problems, then you can't punish your members because of it. I must have lost at least 10 long PMs because of this problem (because MyBB doesn't even cache text on the post reply page, let alone the QR one) and I don't even want to start talking about log in problems that others have had.

BTW, 15 is not enough, there are some members here I keep in touch with who have more, like evanessencefan91 and some others, if you care at all.

And BTW, this isn't related to characters, you could send PMs in Opera, it has to do with an error on the server where for some reason character limits are imposed on PMs as well.

wah said:
I'm wondering what made you look into this problem now when only two weeks ago I notified you of the same issue and the only thing you felt necessary to reply was, and I quote: "I use FireFox and I have never had a problem with PM,s"

Yes about two weeks ago you said you have had some problems with PM,s. You for some reason thought that had something to do with firefox. You did not specify your problem the same as Oceanmist23 has done other wise I would had done this two weeks ago.

And why in the world do you have username limits? I see you finally allowed space as a character, so it won't destroy the table layouts.

BTW, 15 is not enough, there are some members here I keep in touch with who have more, like evanessencefan91 and some others, if you care at all.

We have username limits cos you would get some spammer that would make a name stupidly long and stretch the page across the page which would make the reading of a thread moor difficult. I have seen this done on other message Bord's.

I think that maybe there was no limit on this Bord to start with. Maybe one of the other old admins changed it for the reason I gave but by which time some users had already gotten names longer then 10 characters.

I see your point in that some members have names longer then that. I well change it again but this time to 20. If a user has a name longer then that I well have to change there name to what ever they like under 20 characters.

And of course I care. I would not be here if I did not. Nobody makes me come to this place and if I do not come I don't meas out on any pay check or anything. I come here cos I loves de place and the ppl that come here I have a lot in common with and can relate to most of what they say.

I am not going to be able to solve every little problem. I am not some technically minded genus. In fact I think your probably a lot moor tecnecly able to run a place like this moor then me. I say tecnecly able cos I do believe that there are other quality's that are moor important then being technically minded that are needed to run a forum such as this one.

I read every PM that is sent to me and try to reply to them all. I took all your suggestions seriously.

Bluey said:
Yes about two weeks ago you said you have had some problems with PM,s. You for some reason thought that had something to do with firefox. You did not specify your problem the same as Oceanmist23 has done other wise I would had done this two weeks ago.

Exactly how more specific should "I can't send PMs to some members at all in Firefox" get? And what is necessary to prompt a reaction other than "I don't have any problems, sorry, mate"?

Doesn't it seem to make at least a little sense to ask "Tell me more, what exactly is happening that you can't send messages"? If you cared at least that much (as every admin should), I would have investigated into this further. It's not my job to tell you what's wrong, it's yours. I didn't realize at the time it had to do with character limits because it makes no sense (especially if there are no problems in another browser), and even if I did, it's not my responsibility to tell you what, why and how. I'm not running this site, so I can't know what's going on.

And yes, it did have to do with Firefox because, as I said, Opera didn't have this problem. It's a server issue.

We have username limits cos you would get some spammer that would make a name stupidly long and stretch the page across the page which would make the reading of a thread moor difficult. I have seen this done on other message Bord's.

Of course you will have username limits, but if space character is enabled and there were members who registered their usernames with more, then there's no reason to lower it all the way to 10 as you did, especially not if the site is run on such an unstable engine like MyBB. This can often trigger weird behavior, especially if the base hasn't been optimized in a while. The standard username character limit is 30 and that's usually the default in most forum software.

And of course I care. I would not be here if I did not. Nobody makes me come to this place and if I do not come I don't meas out on any pay check or anything. I come here cos I loves de place and the ppl that come here I have a lot in common with and can relate to most of what they say.

Very few admins, mods or supermods are on a payroll, unless it's an official company forum or an extremely revenue-oriented site. And if they are, I assure you they don't have the "I don't have that problem, so sorry" attitude, just as most of those who don't earn a penny don't either. I've ran a forum and I never felt necessary to remind anyone I don't earn a buck, and yet when something was reported, I looked into it immediately, even if I didn't have the same issue on my end.

And the fact that I've offered this site a $200 software which would take care of most of the problems and engage even more people for free and the owner didn't even feel appropriate to reply says more about the level of interest than I ever could. I know this has nothing to do with you, but it needs a mention.

Wah, i don't find Bluey fit for the administrator position either, because he's too good of a counsellor to waste time on that. But either way, he's not just another unpaid admin, he's been living a quite rough life for quite a few years. Even though i don't think he meant to shuffle Your problem to the side, don't You think he deserves to not have to deal with everyone's problems all the time? I'm totally on Your side when it comes to how important that administrator role is, regardless of a potential salary or not, but Bluey's done enough for people, for a long time.

Just felt like that needed mention too, just like Yours about offering the author of this website that software. Talking about the author, i've been down the same road, with many long PMs and e-mails in the attempt, lol. He's not the easiest guy to convince that there are better options to...

wah said:
Exactly how more specific should "I can't send PMs to some members at all in Firefox" get? And what is necessary to prompt a reaction other than "I don't have any problems, sorry, mate"?

Look, if I don't see a problem with a PM what would you like me to do? At that time I could see no reason to why you was having a problem with PM. I currently have 3,147 PM's sent and resolved and I have never had a problem. As soon as am addressed with a problem I can solve I do it. Simply saying I have a problems with sending a PM dose not give me a lot to go on. Plus that was only one thing you munched with in lots of other things.

I did rather think you had a point with the HTLM. So now that can not be used with in a PM or sig. So I do listen and do act if I am able to.

The standard username character limit is 30 and that's usually the default in most forum software.

I did say in the post be for this that I did not make it 10. I have just simply changed it to 15 then 20 cos as you pointed out that we have members that have names over 15 characters long. I think 20 is long enough. If you have a problem with how am running the site then you are always welcome to PM/mail bjarne. I can only do my best.

Very few admins, mods or supermods are on a payroll, unless it's an official company forum or an extremely revenue-oriented site. And if they are, I assure you they don't have the "I don't have that problem, so sorry" attitude, just as most of those who don't earn a penny don't either. I've ran a forum and I never felt necessary to remind anyone I don't earn a buck, and yet when something was reported, I looked into it immediately, even if I didn't have the same issue on my end.

I was not trying to remind anyone that I do this just out of passion. Your now twisting my words. I was simply trying to emphasize the point that I give my time cos I wont to. Because I feel this place is a place that's worth doing that for. And my attitude is good I think. If am not able to help with something then I say so. That's simply just what I did. I just said to you sorry but am not able to help. That dose not mean I did not try or look into it. I did.

Am sorry if you think my attitude is a poor one. Again if you have a problem with me then your moor then welcome to PM/mail bjarne and have him look into how I am running things for him. If him or the members wold prefer me to become a normal member then I would be happy to do that.

And the fact that I've offered this site a $200 software which would take care of most of the problems and engage even more people for free and the owner didn't even feel appropriate to reply says more about the level of interest than I ever could. I know this has nothing to do with you, but it needs a mention.

This is what I think all this comes down to. I have done all I can and forwarded your PM to bjarne. The PM is still unread by him. I also have another PM I would like him to read. Not even that long a PM but that is still unread as well. There is nothing I can do about bjarne's constant absence of this place.

I am not the sort of person that well get into an argument, Its pointers don't you think. As I say if you have a problem with me then Write bjarne.

Robin said:
Wah, i don't find Bluey fit for the administrator position either, because he's too good of a counsellor to waste time on that. But either way, he's not just another unpaid admin, he's been living a quite rough life for quite a few years. Even though i don't think he meant to shuffle Your problem to the side, don't You think he deserves to not have to deal with everyone's problems all the time? I'm totally on Your side when it comes to how important that administrator role is, regardless of a potential salary or not, but Bluey's done enough for people, for a long time.

Just felt like that needed mention too, just like Yours about offering the author of this website that software. Talking about the author, i've been down the same road, with many long PMs and e-mails in the attempt, lol. He's not the easiest guy to convince that there are better options to...

Well then. I did check your IP from an old post you had made be for I activated your account. So I know it was actually the robin we all know here be for I activated your account. I activated it even though if am honest I would rather you be gone from this place. But I think you have a right to be here and I hope you get something from it. I think your a very troubled young man. Talented in lots of ways. But I well never be able to be your friend again. What you write to me in that mail was nothing short of poisoners, filled with hate. I have done nothing to justify that kinder mail of anyone. I did not reply cos one, you said you would not read it anyway and two, I would never reply to such a horrid mail as that. I apologized to cleo for what I had said. She did not reply back to me and instead showed you my mail that I had sent her. I think for her to delete her account over one disagreement was a bit OTT. I cant help think you had a hand in her doing that. I am sorry to lose her as a friend. I am sorry to say that you and I well never be friends. Not after that mail you sent me. I hope you find what your looking for in life. I really do. But I well not be the one to help you find that. I activated your account even thou most ppl who in my persuasion and after receiving such a mail would not had done. That's all I owed you. I do not wont your help in this matter or any matter. I am moor then capable in looking after myself. If the members here wont a different admin then they can say and I well become just a normal member.

Your moor then welcome to stay here as long as you like. I well not be welcoming you back but I have no problem in you staying here. But if I see you say anything as hateful as what you said to me I well have no problem in baning you. As long as I have the power to do that I well not let you talk to anyone like you did me. Its a good job that am not a sensitive type or I would had done something stupid after reading that mail of yours. Ye you hurt me, And I partly blame you for taking my friend away from me. I well not ever forgive you. This is my last word on this. I well not get into a silly debate about nonsense stuff.

Robin said:

We're all living very rough lives here.

I'm not talking about the ablility to fix but the absence of will to even try finding out what's going on.

Bluey said:
Look, if I don't see a problem with a PM what would you like me to do?

This is the attitude I'm talking about.

At that time I could see no reason to why you was having a problem with PM. I currently have 3,147 PM's sent and resolved and I have never had a problem.

Do you even know how mySQL works? If you don't have problems with the base it doesn't mean others don't either. Judging by the nature of the issue, I'd say something's seriously wrong with the installation.

How hard is it to ask what's happening exactly? Sorry, mate, but the only thing I could read from that reaction was that you couldn't possibly care less. I have more than enough experience with uninterested admins not to see when I'm just wasting my time.

And your notion that I might be the troll even after everything I did to help you and offered a free vB to the owner and explaining to you step-by-step how to check if I'm the troll or not speaks for itself.

This is what I think all this comes down to. I have done all I can and forwarded your PM to bjarne. The PM is still unread by him. I also have another PM I would like him to read. Not even that long a PM but that is still unread as well. There is nothing I can do about bjarne's constant absence of this place.

It doesn't come down to this. It has nothing to do with this. As you know, there were five other guys in line for the best forum software for free and that's where my vB copy went.

Don't worry, I talked to bjarne myself on MSN.

I am not the sort of person that well get into an argument, Its pointers don't you think. As I say if you have a problem with me then Write bjarne.

The only thing I have a problem with is the way the courtesy of forum members who really go their way in trying to make the site run like it should is treated. I've been there before. I would point out these things to anyone if the site was seriosuly compromised by the lack of interest of its leaders. I'm not saying it's all your fault, I'm saying the site needs serious repair and we all know what that comes down to. But if the owner couldn't care less about the site, then I sure as heck don't either.

If you have a problem with how am running the site then you are always welcome to PM/mail bjarne. I can only do my best.

Am sorry if you think my attitude is a poor one. Again if you have a problem with me then your moor then welcome to PM/mail bjarne and have him look into how I am running things for him.

I'm not going to PM anyone.

Bluey said:
Well then. I did check your IP from an old post you had made be for I activated your account. So I know it was actually the robin we all know here be for I activated your account. I activated it even though if am honest I would rather you be gone from this place. But I think you have a right to be here and I hope you get something from it. I think your a very troubled young man. Talented in lots of ways. But I well never be able to be your friend again. What you write to me in that mail was nothing short of poisoners, filled with hate. I have done nothing to justify that kinder mail of anyone. I did not reply cos one, you said you would not read it anyway and two, I would never reply to such a horrid mail as that. I apologized to cleo for what I had said. She did not reply back to me and instead showed you my mail that I had sent her. I think for her to delete her account over one disagreement was a bit OTT. I cant help think you had a hand in her doing that. I am sorry to lose her as a friend. I am sorry to say that you and I well never be friends. Not after that mail you sent me. I hope you find what your looking for in life. I really do. But I well not be the one to help you find that. I activated your account even thou most ppl who in my persuasion and after receiving such a mail would not had done. That's all I owed you. I do not wont your help in this matter or any matter. I am moor then capable in looking after myself. If the members here wont a different admin then they can say and I well become just a normal member.

Your moor then welcome to stay here as long as you like. I well not be welcoming you back but I have no problem in you staying here. But if I see you say anything as hateful as what you said to me I well have no problem in baning you. As long as I have the power to do that I well not let you talk to anyone like you did me. Its a good job that am not a sensitive type or I would had done something stupid after reading that mail of yours. Ye you hurt me, And I partly blame you for taking my friend away from me. I well not ever forgive you. This is my last word on this. I well not get into a silly debate about nonsense stuff.

I only actually registered again to send some PMs that i promised to send. I'll do my best to only post to help people, until my own place needs me more. I'm guilty of feeling useless when i can't do enough, but if You'd ever feel good in doing so, feel free to take from me like i apparently took from You.

I didn't write the previous post because of the friendship we had, but because i'd do it for anyone who i knew was doing a good job elsewhere.

Well thank You for welcoming me. If the e-mail i sent You didn't turn You around, well.. good luck i guess. The fact that You didn't makes me certain that the ultimatum i gave will stand forever. So i wish that You find all that You're looking for too.

Firstly, thank you Bluey for fixing this issue.

Secondly, dear oh dear.... It saddens me that there's so much hostility (whatever you want to call it, negativity...) amongst members of this site. I wish everyone would stop and think about what really matters in life. Friendship, happiness, forgiveness...
At least on this forum, because it's an important place to so many people...

Anyway, I'm not going to go more into this issue.
Again, thanks for fixing the username problem.

ya i had the same problem as well, i found that if i clicked on the guest hive and clicked on make a new thread, it would ask you to sign in and i could do it there.

thats okay i understand, and i'm currently having internet issues at home, so it's been taking me a while to reply to pms,

so don't worry i haven't forgotten about any of you,

:D

Oceanmist23 said:

no I didn't. but I remember replying :S
weird.

Latest posts

Back