Weekend Depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howtobealone

Reaction score
The weekends are always worse for me, and this one is no exception. I have one ticket to see my favorite band tonight, but I'm worried I'm just going to feel more alone going to a concert by myself. I'm still recovering from a breakup too, so that doesn't help.

How do you deal with weekend depression?

If anyone else has a tough weekend alone and wants to send me a pm, that would be welcome.

Feel you on this one. Around Sunday afternoon I start to feel really alone in the world.

Sometimes going to a movie helps. Kills large parts of the day and gives you something to ponder.

LonelySutton said:
Feel you on this one. Around Sunday afternoon I start to feel really alone in the world.

I love sunday afternoons.. just me, the beach and a great meal.

Same boat. It's gotten to the point I don't look forward to weekends anymore. It's two days of trying to fill in time, mostly to no avail. Most weekends the only words I mutter are 'thanks, you too' to a cashier when they tell me to have a nice day. On Saturday nights, I'll sit on my deck smoking, looking out, and thinking, out there, there are people sitting around bonfires, on dates, cuddling to netflix, with their families, having fun doing whatever people do on Saturday nights... and here I am, watching over them all, alone in my tower of solitude, do they see me? Do they wonder? Can they hear my silent screams? By Sunday, I have to talk out loud to myself sometimes just to hear a human voice, if even just whispering to myself. The whispers you think you hear some nights are the ghosts of my whispers.

But yeah, weekends suck. Then when it's back to work on Monday, I don't want to be there either.

What gets me the most is Friday afternoon and everyone going "what are you dong this weekend?" They have been doing this for 10 years. I know they don't expect a real answer but what am I supposed to say? I frankly don't understand anyway how people can do anything on the weekends. When do they get their errands done? Do they have a maid? Do not get.

LonelySutton said:
What gets me the most is Friday afternoon and everyone going "what are you dong this weekend?" They have been doing this for 10 years. I know they don't expect a real answer but what am I supposed to say? I frankly don't understand anyway how people can do anything on the weekends. When do they get their errands done? Do they have a maid? Do not get.

When people at work ask me, instead of telling them the truth that I have absolutely nothing going on, I'll lie and make up something so as not to look like a total loser. Sometimes this includes having to lie on Monday to tell them how my weekend went. I feel no one at works really knows me. I don't even think they know I've been divorced for 2 years already.

redbeard 44 said:
When people at work ask me, instead of telling them the truth that I have absolutely nothing going on, I'll lie and make up something so as not to look like a total loser. Sometimes this includes having to lie on Monday to tell them how my weekend went.

I did that at first but I am a bad liar and can't keep my stories straight. Why do they still ask? But I really would like to know how they can spend an entire Saturday at a wedding and still get all the errands done?

A few years ago I got into this circle of trying to actually come up with things for people to ohhh and ahh about. Some of this included the home search and moving. But, I am sick to death of doing things for their amusement. Which is all it was. When something went wrong or I was having a problem... well that was my problem.

LonelySutton said:

Yes I never know what to answer on that, i mostly say not much. I have nothing to do during the weekends only a bit of sport on sunday but that's about it. It's worse at nights because then thoughts starts popping up. I do want to change it though but it takes lots of courage for me to do so. The only answer i sometimes can think of if they ask that question is play videogames and that's about the only thing during my weekends all the time ...

The weekends are hard for me because I occasionally I'll see an event I would like to goto, a movie I wanted to check out, or a restaurant I wanted to try. But than I remember what's the point of just going somewhere filled with people while feeling utterly alone.

I honestly try not to be alone... join social activities and groups, because if I go out by myself it never ever happens that I can strike a conversation with strangers - like, never
Otherwise I go in solitary mode and either work or work on my hobbies, so that I forget about the weekend, but then I need to go out during the week otherwise it's too much work :)
Also, Lonelysutton is right, people who work the whole week really need time for errands

I used to suffer quite badly from this. I can still at times but it's got a lot better. I think the key to it which isn't easy, and it took me a long time with lots of fairy steps. I found starting to invite people to things. For instance I know some people don't have family or they are not local. If you do why not invite them Sunday for their dinner or supper. It will give you something to prepare. Or if no family do you have a friendly neighbour who you always talk with who might appreciate a meal and company.

If you have any friends, why not suggest a walk with a picnic on the Saturday. If you don't have friends have you any work colleagues that you like and think they might enjoy doing something like that. Doesn't have to be a walk, could be pictures or coffee and that might run into something else.

What about inviting people you like to your place Saturday evening to watch something, a sporting event, a film, something big on tv have nibbles and either with or without alcohol.

Another possibility is if you are looking for friends, have you considered joining a community project, you would be helping but may making connections.

I know it may sound hard to stick your neck out and leave yourself slightly vulnerable, but I think it is worth a try.

Please forgive if what I have suggested doesn't suit you, but good luck and let us know how you get on.

howtobealone said:
The weekends are always worse for me, and this one is no exception. I have one ticket to see my favorite band tonight, but I'm worried I'm just going to feel more alone going to a concert by myself. I'm still recovering from a breakup too, so that doesn't help.

How do you deal with weekend depression?

If anyone else has a tough weekend alone and wants to send me a pm, that would be welcome.

What band did you go see? I go to concerts as well as the movies and restaurants alone. Sure you get the gawkers who you can tell are talking about you, but oh well. Weekends are hard for me too, especially if I have them off from work. A lot of times I will call my job to see if anyone has called out so I could come into work. But usually I just sit and watch tv or listen to my Ipod to deal with the depression. Sometimes I'll smoke pot and just sleep through the weekend too.

howtobealone said:
I have one ticket to see my favorite band tonight, but I'm worried I'm just going to feel more alone going to a concert by myself.

Same here. I had bought two tickets with the hopes of finding a date (@ $195 per ticket) but even with 4th row I couldn't get a date. And it's two MAJOR bands...Boston and Kansas. :(

At least I'll have plenty of elbow room.

I hope the concert went well and you managed to lose yourself to the music. I often find myself alone, so I do things that don't require more than one person like reading, watching a movie (it's surprisingly easy to find a seat just for yourself in the theater and then the lights dim so no one is paying attention to you anyway), or going on hikes.

However, there are times when I have had enough of being alone. I recently had some people turn down my invitation which was crushing but then one person I did meet turned out to be really negative and judgmental, which really affected me. I went back into my cocoon because of this, which was pretty unhealthy.

My suggestion is to try a meetup group or some type of class, where you can do something you enjoy with other people, without things becoming potentially too personal.

Latest posts

Back