What are you feeling, hoping, thinking, or remembering right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solitary of the fall said:
Cataplasme said:
I would like to learn a new language. Maybe Spanish, maybe something else ?
Is there people who speak other languages here ?

I speak French since that's the first language I learned. Also Portuguese and just a little, but very little of German because I'm really bad. Of course I learned English and I do everything on my computer in English.
**** I already speak French as my first language... Are you French or French Canadian, Belgian, Swiss or it has nothing to do with that and why not ?
Portuguese pronunciation just seem to harsh to learn for me... I did 8 years of German in class but I'm still bad, I don't think it's a good language to learn for me (at least for now).

Cataplasme said:
Solitary of the fall said:
Cataplasme said:
I would like to learn a new language. Maybe Spanish, maybe something else ?
Is there people who speak other languages here ?

I speak French since that's the first language I learned. Also Portuguese and just a little, but very little of German because I'm really bad. Of course I learned English and I do everything on my computer in English.
**** I already speak French as my first language... Are you French or French Canadian, Belgian, Swiss or it has nothing to do with that and why not ?
Portuguese pronunciation just seem to harsh to learn for me... I did 8 years of German in class but I'm still bad, I don't think it's a good language to learn for me (at least for now).

I'm Swiss, well I live there but my nationality isn't Swiss. I agree with what you say about German, I have a lot of difficulty learning this language, and I don't know why. I already did 7-8 years of German and I still have problems writing a letter, I have two years of German ahead to graduate and I don't know how I'm going to do.
And you, where did you learn to speak French ?

Cataplasme said:
I did 8 years of German in class but I'm still bad, I don't think it's a good language to learn for me (at least for now).

*raises arm* "GERMAN HERE! *lowers arm* ...never attempt that in public.

On topic: As a native I've seen a lot of learners having difficulties with it. Whether it's with the pronounciation, the seemingly illogical grammar or else. As with all languages, regular use keeps the knowledge alive. Otherwise even years can go to waste after a while. At least that's what happened with Latin for me...my own **** fault for learning a dead language.

TheSkaFish said:
Triple Bogey said:
it was all happening 2 years ago this month.
What a joke !
Knew she would choose some other guy over me.
I called it from when it started.

I'm sorry to hear that and I feel your pain.

It was probably for the best since she had 4 kids and had 'issues'
It was nice though while it lasted. Felt like somebody cared.
Her attitude changed dramatically though when she met me for real.
I will never forget that. So easy to type things, not so easy to say them.

@Solitary of the fall
In France, I am French. And good luck for your graduation ! I am curious about your nationality now.

@Rodent
Hey, never be ashamed of that, it's always cool to speak more than one language.
It's also have with the fact I never learnt properly language at school, I learnt English after by myself. And I don't feel like learning German now anyway because I won't have much use of German and there is not much things where I can actually practice German in my daily life (which is what helps to learn and remember a language).

I did some latin too I think it's interesting for etymology and cultural aspect but I didn't understand why they made us learn the grammar, what's the point since it's a dead language ? I mean, after when you are in a higher level of Latin ok, but teaching that in the first years, I don't see the point really. It shows even more how badly they teach languages at school (at least in the French ones)...

Cataplasme said:
Hey, never be ashamed of that, it's always cool to speak more than one language.
It's also have with the fact I never learnt properly language at school, I learnt English after by myself. And I don't feel like learning German now anyway because I won't have much use of German and there is not much things where I can actually practice German in my daily life (which is what helps to learn and remember a language).

I did some latin too I think it's interesting for etymology and cultural aspect but I didn't understand why they made us learn the grammar, what's the point since it's a dead language ? I mean, after when you are in a higher level of Latin ok, but teaching that in the first years, I don't see the point really. It shows even more how badly they teach languages at school (at least in the French ones)...

Oh, that's not my fault. Shame comes with our cultural identity...just kidding of course.
There have been a couple of times when I considered learning more languages, but I found no "useful" one. I need German and English daily but I'm probably not gonna move away from here, so that's that.

Yeah, the culture and history was quite interesting. Epecially when I was on a school trip down to Italy and saw it live (or as live as it gets). And Latin helps to relate certain words in many European languages since there are common roots. I had grammar early on and I think it was necessary because we did a lot of translation work and since there's a rule for everything in Latin, there was not much room for interpretation. That was the fun part actually. Later on we had poetry and that would've killed Latin completely for me if I hadn't been dead already. Dived from straight A down to C- though. So it goes.

Cataplasme said:
I learnt English after by myself.

You learned English by yourself? I gotta say that you're doing pretty great with it if you learned it all by yourself. Well done! How long did it take you to get this far with it?

Cos I'm also learning another language right now by myself, but at a very very slow pace because it is very challenging to do it on your own, especially trying to get the phonetics right just from hearing a computerised version of it or in YouTube videos. I've only been doing this for 2 months (yikes has it been that long!) and I still feel like I haven't progressed that much.

ladyforsaken said:
Cataplasme said:
I learnt English after by myself.

You learned English by yourself? I gotta say that you're doing pretty great with it if you learned it all by yourself. Well done! How long did it take you to get this far with it?

Cos I'm also learning another language right now by myself, but at a very very slow pace because it is very challenging to do it on your own, especially trying to get the phonetics right just from hearing a computerised version of it or in YouTube videos. I've only been doing this for 2 months (yikes has it been that long!) and I still feel like I haven't progressed that much.

Hum, I couldn't say but to get to the level I am now it took me years. I already knew some basic things then I started to search for lyrics of songs and watching things in English with French subtitles and even without really noticing I started to learn more and I was comfortable enough to express myself in England and in English for not too complicated things but I still had trouble to understand people. Then I registered to a forum in English two years and half ago I would say, at this point I could express myself already but my English was somewhat quite broken even if people understood what I was saying and I would use translator a lot to understand people and to correct myself.
I started to date an English person a year and half ago and even though we are not together anymore we still speak very regularly which also helped a lot.

It might seem to you like it was a long journey but I don't feel like it was. It didn't feel like much effort because it just happened naturally and I am still learning and making mistakes (even for my first language really). I just make some effort to remember certain rules and expressions. And now when I look where I was some time ago and how I thought I would never be able to learn another language, I am really happy about it.
I think the best way to learn a language is to make a bit of effort to learn the basics and then to use it a bit every day and to talk to people who speak that language.
For example I have never been taught Japanese and never tried to learn it but since I watch things in Japanese (with subtitles) I caught words and expressions anyway.

What language are you trying to learn ?

Cataplasme said:
Hum, I couldn't say but to get to the level I am now it took me years.

Whoa, okay. Did you study it daily or was it scheduled or something?

I realise with language learning, if I don't do it daily, or at least once every few days... it goes away pretty quickly. Maybe it's just my poor memory. :s

Cataplasme said:
I already knew some basic things then I started to search for lyrics of songs and watching things in English with French subtitles and even without really noticing I started to learn more and I was comfortable enough to express myself in England and in English for not too complicated things but I still had trouble to understand people. Then I registered to a forum in English two years and half ago I would say, at this point I could express myself already but my English was somewhat quite broken even if people understood what I was saying and I would use translator a lot to understand people and to correct myself.
I started to date an English person a year and half ago and even though we are not together anymore we still speak very regularly which also helped a lot.

Were you staying in England at the time? If so, did it help you improve your English being there and being around people?

Cataplasme said:
It might seem to you like it was a long journey but I don't feel like it was. It didn't feel like much effort because it just happened naturally and I am still learning and making mistakes (even for my first language really). I just make some effort to remember certain rules and expressions. And now when I look where I was some time ago and how I thought I would never be able to learn another language, I am really happy about it.
I think the best way to learn a language is to make a bit of effort to learn the basics and then to use it a bit every day and to talk to people who speak that language.
For example I have never been taught Japanese and never tried to learn it but since I watch things in Japanese (with subtitles) I caught words and expressions anyway.

I know what you mean. It feels like such little progress over a period of time that seemed so long but it truly doesn't feel like it, which was why when I looked at how long I've done this, I was shocked it's been 2 months since it felt like just weeks.

Hmm, I wondered if watching movies and stuff might help me even at such a beginner level, cos I felt like it would overwhelm me so I haven't ventured into watching anything with the language. I might just try one and see how it goes!

Cataplasme said:
What language are you trying to learn ?

German.

Have you decided what you are going to learn next? What about Japanese since you've picked up on some already?

@Lady Forsaken

I didn't really study it, I just used it everyday and/or listen/read things in English. And it was never schedule what a burden it would have been otherwise !

I didn't live there I just visited my brother who was studying and living there at the time.

You can watch films with subtitles in your first language, it really helps to hear common words and expression often and you will also get used of the accent and how words are pronounced.

Japanese is interesting but if I have to really learn a new one I would rather learn one that I can use more in life. Also, I don't want people to think I am a weaboo. I can learn two different ones though maybe. Who knows for a lazy person like me !

German is difficult for me, I don't like it too much. Good luck with that !

Cataplasme said:
@Lady Forsaken

I didn't really study it, I just used it everyday and/or listen/read things in English. And it was never schedule what a burden it would have been otherwise !

I didn't live there I just visited my brother who was studying and living there at the time.

You can watch films with subtitles in your first language, it really helps to hear common words and expression often and you will also get used of the accent and how words are pronounced.

Japanese is interesting but if I have to really learn a new one I would rather learn one that I can use more in life. Also, I don't want people to think I am a weaboo. I can learn two different ones though maybe. Who knows for a lazy person like me !

I see now, perhaps that is one approach to make it less daunting and more fun. I really will try watching films in the language I'm learning with subtitles.

Thanks for your well wishes, I hope you'll find something you'd enjoy learning too (let us know what you've decided on when you do, I'm curious too) and good luck with it as well. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Cataplasme said:
@Lady Forsaken

I see now, perhaps that is one approach to make it less daunting and more fun. I really will try watching films in the language I'm learning with subtitles.

Thanks for your well wishes, I hope you'll find something you'd enjoy learning too (let us know what you've decided on when you do, I'm curious too) and good luck with it as well. :)

What language are you learning, LF? :)

Latest posts

Back