What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm ooh lala, question from cennie coming… So…. What do you think about doctors sustaining life artificially ? Should they be praised for keeping a 80 year old to live to 85? Should we die more instead of being born more?
Sorry, gotta chime in here too.

In my view, it completely depends on the quality of life for that 80-year old. Just because we have the modern capabilities to sustain life, doesn't mean we should. If that extra 5 years of life is spent in-and-out of hospital and being subjected to endless medical tests and procedures, then no - I don't think sustaining life is worthwhile.

It's like the 'heroic' efforts that animal welfare groups sometimes use to help an animal. I follow a Canadian show on TV where they often utilize such methods - it might be a seal that's found injured on shore or perhaps an eagle that was hit by a car. I totally understand the dedication and compassion behind it, but subjecting a living creature to an endless battery of tests and force-feeding and surgeries only to have it die in the end seems cruel to me. Sometimes I think it's better to just let nature take its course.

Hmmm ooh lala, question from cennie coming… So…. What do you think about doctors sustaining life artificially ? Should they be praised for keeping a 80 year old to live to 85? Should we die more instead of being born more?
Sorry, I'm going to chip in here too, have a wee read of Logans Run, the novel depicts a dystopic ageist future society in which both population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by requiring the death of everyone reaching the age of 21 ( 30 in the awful movie ).

I forgive you both for chiming in 😅 only joking I love it, afraid this might be seen as highjacking as I never understand the fine line between having a convo and highjacking so I will say… both these opinions are soo interesting I always wondered about this… ! The quality of life and the role of death within society. I dont think we should require death of everyone at a certain age but I think when natural selection takes them… we shouldnt always intervene.

Not hi-jacking as we are all thinking about this right now as follows in this thread.

I agree with alot already mentioned on both sides. However, my grandparents lived to be in there mid & late 90s due to modern medicine. They were doing great into their 80s. But, then several bouts of cancer for each of them and all the complications from the treatments especially at that age. Then dementia of my grandfather. The last 10 - 12 years of their lives were filled with pain and torture. They had a nearly zero quality of life. Plus, I was the one taking care of them. So, my quality of life dropped like a rock and only slightly recovered. It took a massive toll on me. I would say it permanently sucked up about 40% of my lifeforce. Then I also got to fight with other family members who provided zero help with them.

So, IMO, I think they should have stopped receiving VERY expensive and exhausting treatment once they got to their late 80s. They could have died without living through all the torture and kept their dignity. I still remember the embarassment my grandmother had when she watched me wipe her butt and change her diapers. She was a strong proud women in her prime. But, couch bound for the last 8 years of her life. Both of them honeysuckle all over themselves on a regular basis too. Adult diapers help. But, they have lots of problems. It was horrible for them and me. My grandmother watched her strong husband become a ghost who didn't know what was going on and continually yelled obscenities at all of us.

So, at some point, doctors should definitley stop interferring with the natural process of life and death. IMO, it depends on the person's wishes, current quality of life, and the possible improvement to the quality of life with treatment. I don't want to see the powers to be pick a certain age. Age has nothing to do with quality of life.

Last edited:
Also I wish I could edit my genes so that I could actually be good at something, and get things instinctively, and be successful, and then maybe I wouldn't feel stuck in a life that I ******* hate all the time.

So after a shitty start to the day, my mood almost recovered...
then all it took was one aggravating comment and I had to stifle an urge to whip my coffee cup at the wall and scream.

And just like that I'm back to feeling pissed off again, back to waiting to cool down again.
Hope you cheer up soon Mr Skafish 😇

So after a shitty start to the day, my mood almost recovered...
then all it took was one aggravating comment and I had to stifle an urge to whip my coffee cup at the wall and scream.

And just like that I'm back to feeling pissed off again, back to waiting to cool down again.
Music! Grab some good headphones, put on your favourite tunes and escape for a bit - great way to improve your mood, Always works like a charm for me when I’m having a shitty-ass day, Hope you can get back to being your usual self soon. 😊

I'm baking 2 loaves of gluten free bread today, they're in the oven right now. Tomorrow I'll cut them into small cubes and they'll become Communion bread elements for next Sunday's church service. Ordinarily I would bake it the day before, but tomorrow (Saturday) I'm driving 90 miles to pick up 2 packages of live honeybees which I will then hive later in the afternoon........I'd prefer having the bread responsibility done with.

Tobacco companies should be leading in the search for a cancer cure. The day after a cure is found, sales of cigarettes are going to go insane from the millions of us that quit for health / longevity reasons.

I got a therapist!! Hurray!! One with experience, also with DBT and Borderline. And I'm on a waiting list for a
specialized DBT treatment, that goes for about 6 month with groups and all the whole DBT-therapy-tablatur up and down. One of my housemates already made it and said the docs are really good in what they're doing. I hope I get the place and can start there.
For whatever reason I don't know why, I am very enthusiastic today. Without using pills or chocolate. lol
I got up at 7 and did my chores, laundry, cleaning up, everything and sorted some stuff out, old books ecerera pp.
I am so used to my depression, what happened that I am so yay, let's rock the world??? I danced around at 7 am in front of the mirror. :)
Hope it lasts some days, because then I have enough power to continue with writing and all those further stuff that needs to be done.
Some ppl thanked me for my lyrics on another online platform for ppl with Borderline and it makes me feel good, that it helps ppl and I can reach out to them.
Looks like my life is not that senseless as I often think it is. I can spread good vibes and positivity to others. I wish I could change the whole world to a better place and kick all bad guys in the ass. *g*

Administrator's note: Due to the originality of the question it asks this thread falls under the criteria of "Essential" and hereby shall remain as a historical landmark of aLonelyLife.com in the form of a sticky. Thank You, ThatOneGuy!

4th of April 2008

- Robin
-----------------

Just type exactly what you are thinking right now. Exactly what you are thinking... don't hold back(except if it is explicit, against another member or the forum, etc.).

Just a thread to clear your thoughts with.

And.......................................................................... GO!
Friend

I'm starting to get really worried that it's too late to un-fresia my life - that no matter what I do now, I'm going to be stuck living a miserable life that I'll hate like hell, but there won't be a way out.

I'm thinking...it's like the night shift in the psych ward...we're all up, but do NOT make noise. Those 'nurses' are mean. And why not, they never believe you

I'm starting to get really worried that it's too late to un-fresia my life - that no matter what I do now, I'm going to be stuck living a miserable life that I'll hate like hell, but there won't be a way out.
It's not too late. But, if you go into things think you will hate them or you'll suck at them, that's probably exactly what will happen. Try to have an open mind, you never know what you are going to love and there's typically always a way out.

Latest posts

Back