What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess I can't really say what I think here without annoying some people. Wasn't even ******* offensive. Being nice to others is a bad thing now apparently.

ladyforsaken said:
So I guess I can't really say what I think here without annoying some people. Wasn't even ******* offensive. Being nice to others is a bad thing now apparently.

You being nice is a good thing, and a lot of people here appreciate it.

*Hugs* If you want to be nice, be nice. Don't let other people get to you.

Locke said:
ladyforsaken said:

I agree! You're a voice of kindness around here and I would miss it. And anyway, most of the time there isn't anyone who can say what they think without annoying someone. I know I can't. It's part of the human condition. :p

Solivagant said:
Locke said:
ladyforsaken said:

I agree! You're a voice of kindness around here and I would miss it. And anyway, most of the time there isn't anyone who can say what they think without annoying someone. I know I can't. It's part of the human condition. :p
A tall dude once said "You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Your reps second to none on here lady, you're very well thought off :)

Trying to hold my tongue. It's hard to be sympathetic to someone's loneliness when they talk about women in this manner.

I realize I may sound rude and I apologize, but I'm getting really fed up with how quickly so many of the threads around here become offensive. I'm tired of all the crap that gets posted, and I've only been here since July. I hardly even leave the General Chat section anymore.

I wonder if it might be time for me to leave.

Solivagant said:
Trying to hold my tongue. It's hard to be sympathetic to someone's loneliness when they talk about women in this manner.

I realize I may sound rude and I apologize, but I'm getting really fed up with how quickly so many of the threads around here become offensive. I'm tired of all the crap that gets posted, and I've only been here since July. I hardly even leave the General Chat section anymore.

It is a problem that I've seen over time here, and has even had the unfortunate effect of making some other people leave. But don't let it sour your experience here and counter the negativity instead.

I know how you feel, way way back there was one thread that really really pi$$ed me off.

Sadly it seems some people start to get sour and become offensive, with the worst part being that their attitude is only likely to deepen their lonliness.

Solivagant said:

That's life though isn't it. People fall out, people have opinions and they need to work them through. I don't see this distaste for arguing, better people air their views and then people react, rather than everyone pretends. Leave that for real life and get it all of your chest online. It's just words from the ether or it should be.

Lippy_Kid said:
Solivagant said:

That's life though isn't it. People fall out, people have opinions and they need to work them through. I don't see this distaste for arguing, better people air their views and then people react, rather than everyone pretends. Leave that for real life and get it all of your chest online. It's just words from the ether or it should be.

I might agree with you, except it's not opinions that one particular user is expressing. It's hate. Every post I've seen from that user recently is full of sexist comments. Would it be acceptable for someone to "air their views" if their views were racist? They would get banned instantly. How about bashing gay people? Whether one of those things is worse than the others is kind of beside the point, because all of those views are ignorant and hateful, and cause good people to want to leave the forum.

Locke said:
Lippy_Kid said:
Solivagant said:

I might agree with you, except it's not opinions that one particular user is expressing. It's hate. Every post I've seen from that user recently is full of sexist comments. Would it be acceptable for someone to "air their views" if their views were racist? They would get banned instantly. How about bashing gay people? Whether one of those things is worse than the others is kind of beside the point, because all of those views are ignorant and hateful, and cause good people to want to leave the forum.

Perhaps they (the haters) need to watch this video ♥
http://www.upworthy.com/48-reporter...-women-his-response-absolutely-perfect?c=mrp1

Locke said:
Lippy_Kid said:
Solivagant said:

People just get out of step with the world, if they are not advocating violence but just expressing a view then let them air it, it's just a view and if it's worthy of group derision then let people show it up for being unfounded and baseless. I'm very much of that opinion, even extremism, i'd rather hear it and let it be countered by the logic of more moderate people than to ban it, only to let it fester and turn into something more sinister. I'm very against censorship, I believe you should confront ill conceived views head on and show them up to be false. We live in a world where what we can say is reduced all the time and it's born of fear, where there's no need to fear anything as we have weight in numbers. Just hear it, reject it collectively and know that we live in a world where we can openly discuss and arrive at the right conclusion.

*I'd be a honeysuckle mod, lol.

Wow that was a blast from the past, now I'm wondering what went wrong.

Haha, it's that time of the year again where you hear the pathetic cheapo fireworks that sounds like farts or a bag of cats, screaming.

ladyforsaken said:

Don't let certain people do this to you on or offline, Lady F.

People respect you. Especially here. Please don't make the same mistake I did and get discouraged with people. It's very destructive. I know this all to well :\

This place still looks the same. Just a fleeting hello and thank you to those who sent me messages, which I've just read. I trust everyone is well. See you around folks.

Scotsman said:
This place still looks the same. Just a fleeting hello and thank you to those who sent me messages, which I've just read. I trust everyone is well. See you around folks.

Ahhh wondered where you'd buggeed off to!

Lippy_Kid said:
Scotsman said:

Ahhh wondered where you'd buggeed off to!

Oh I just dipped out for a few weeks and figured I'd come back by and say hello. I'm not stopping but maybe I'll drop in from time to time.

Lippy_Kid said:
People just get out of step with the world, if they are not advocating violence but just expressing a view then let them air it, it's just a view and if it's worthy of group derision then let people show it up for being unfounded and baseless. I'm very much of that opinion, even extremism, i'd rather hear it and let it be countered by the logic of more moderate people than to ban it, only to let it fester and turn into something more sinister. I'm very against censorship, I believe you should confront ill conceived views head on and show them up to be false. We live in a world where what we can say is reduced all the time and it's born of fear, where there's no need to fear anything as we have weight in numbers. Just hear it, reject it collectively and know that we live in a world where we can openly discuss and arrive at the right conclusion.

That sounds great, but unfortunately people lack common sense online, whereas in the real world personal views and behavior is a little more balanced by common sense. Which is why forums need rules.

Communities needs rules and guidelines to thrive and grow. If someone wants a site where they can say and act how they want, they are free to create their own blog or forum. Otherwise people will start derailing topics, name-calling and whatever else.

I'll put it another way: If I had a 12 year old daughter and some guy flashed her, I would knock him on his ass. The guy would know that, and would be much less likely to flash her. Without forum rules, what would stop him from doing that on a website designed to teach children? Nothing. So I would have to limit her freedom and free speech by not letting her go online.

But sadly, you're right: It is about fear, because a lot of people will get away with whatever they can. It's also why many movie theaters won't allow you to talk on a cell phone during a screening, and why we have laws in the real world. Total and complete freedom doesn't create an atmosphere of peaceful interaction, because people are more likely to use that freedom to cause pain.

I'm sorry my post doesn't sound as ideal as yours, but it's sadly the truth. People are imperfect. They will just as often take advantage as debate peacefully. So while I very much hope to someday live in a world where total freedom would work, I'm not naive enough to think the world is ready for that right now. Especially on the internet, because there are already few consequences for actions taken online.

Difference is in real life people have rules by which they adhere, online people are more open, which lets face it is far easier to stomach. It's just words on a page, imagine suffering such views right into your face.

I feel we're on the same page, in that we want the same thing but there are obvious boundaries, posting your view on a public forum for interrogation is a different field to clandestine grooming of minors, which of course should be policed. I'm talking about views, just views, opinions. People have a right to an opinion nothing more, just a view and they should be able to say that view out loud. If that view is absurd, twisted or illegal then let's hear it, we have to back ourselves and trust ourselves to confront and better that view. Otherwise, simply we are messed. Censorship is just stalling for time, let's hear it, collectively we know what we want, dont let bad things fester. Good post btw.

*also I'm at a gig on my phone and 6 pints to the good so if my spelling is bad I'm sorry.

Latest posts

Back