What Compliments Do You Hate?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been told repeatedly that I'm 'innocent.' That's an odd thing to hear if you're a grown man; usually, I get the feeling that it's basically a euphemism for naive. Which would be pretty true of me , I suppose

Anyone telling me im a good compassionate person when they're the same people affected by my toxicity, I get its sincere but it's too hard for me to take when I know what I'm doing to them

Erasercrumbs said:
I've been told repeatedly that I'm 'innocent.' That's an odd thing to hear if you're a grown man; usually, I get the feeling that it's basically a euphemism for naive.

Yeah, this one. I don't really feel it's a compliment though, more like a warning. I'm not exactly sure what the person saying it means it to be.

I don't care much for compliments.  It's not that I'm not touched by them.  Of course I am - I'm human.  It's just that I handle them really badly, and I squirm.

But I have had a couple of good ones over the years...

When I was about 25, I was a moderately good looking fellow.  I wasn't Sean Connery, but I did OK  (face like the back of a bus now).  Now, my sister shared a house with a lesbian couple.  OK, cool.  They were fine (in fact one was bisexual and tried to nail me, but I digress).  They had a friend who didn't live there but hung out there a lot.  She was a butch lesbian with a scarily shaved head, was in her 50s, and left for Queensland to work in a coal mine.  Just so you get the picture.  You do not mess with Australian lesbians - they are scary as hell. She and I got on great.

So she gave me the best compliment I have ever received:

"You know what?  You're a really good looking bloke.  And this is coming from a big old lezzo.  So you'd better believe it!"

Made my week, it did.

I hate it when people give me most of the time vulgar compliments on my breasts and how big they are. Especially when its in super public place with a bunch of people around. I don't think its funny at all. I know I have big boobs but you don't have to be an ******* about it and make me feel uncomfortable.

You're handsome...yea I know what you've thinking.Got it the other day hate it. :club:

But I've been called mean looking  a couple of times now that I'm older that I like :)

TheLoadedDog said:
It's not that I'm not touched by them.  Of course I am - I'm human.  It's just that I handle them really badly, and I squirm.

I am quite similar to this. I never quite know how to react to them, so I end up feeling slightly awkward.
Don't get me wrong, it is lovely to hear, I just never know how best to respond.

There is a woman I work with. She tells me that I'm her favourite at work, that she loves me, that she misses me when I'm not at work and that she doesn't enjoy Fridays because that is the day we don't work together. She says we will be friends forever, will grow old together and that one day we'll be sat somewhere with our respective partners watching our grandchildren playing.

It's all nice to hear, and I love her dearly, but it all seems so fake. My girlfriend insists that it is my depression that prevents me from believing these things, but I've always found that actions speak louder than words. Surely if she missed me as much as she says, she'd contact me on the four days we are apart on social media or by phone. It just seems so disingenuous. Maybe it is just my depression though. Maybe I'm just being irrational and should take the compliments as they come.

I hate compliments from people who got what they want from me, knowing for a fact that if they don't get what they want, they'd be a ***** about it.

My favourite back handed compliment is to an aspiring author: "your book fills a much needed gap." Forget if that was Groucho.

I know some compliments are genuine when I consider who it is coming from. But they are almost always superficial compliments that trigger all sorts of self criticism. If I dress up and wear make up, some people will tell me I look good, and that makes me feel great for a minute, before I start wondering how they think of me when I'm dressed down which is 90% of the time. And I don't feel so great anymore.

I also don't like it when people compliment me on weightloss. I know that's a personal thing though because I imagine most people would appreciate their weightloss efforts be acknowledged. For me, it just triggers ED issues.

I don't hate most compliments, but when they come from strangers I always feel awkward receiving them. I've managed to get myself to just say a quick thanks in return, but I struggled with that for a while.

The only compliments I hate are ones that are about something I haven't worked on or care about. For example, a coworker complimented my eyebrows once. I never do my eyebrows, and I also know my eyebrows are some of the shittiest out there because of that. xD So the compliment felt insincere.

I could kind of sense in this girl some insecurity though, just from observing her. She's a people-pleaser, and I think she worries a lot about people liking her, so she compliments people all the time on random things. So I don't hold the compliment against her; I just hope she has developed a bit more confidence in herself since I worked with her long ago.

I used to hate "You've got a baby face" and "You're funny" when I was being serious... though I did talk like a comedian, or something.

9006 said:
I used to hate "You've got a baby face" and "You're funny" when I was being serious... though I did talk like a comedian, or something.

My ex had a problem with that. He would come across as humorous when he meant to be serious.

Latest posts

Back