what do yall think of sorority girls?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorat116

Reaction score
So, I was always the theatre kid in highschool.. was the star of all my school plays, no one really knew a whole lot about me and I never socialized or did anything outside of highschool. In other words, I was pretty much invisible.

Well, at the beginning of my first semester in college (this semester) I thought "I want to make new friends" so I joined a sorority. And my sorority isn't the kind that has normal girls.. it's like the ultra hot/popular girls on campus. I never hung out with these kinds of girls in highschool so it's kind of been like culture shock for me. They all talk and dress a certain way, and are constantly posting stupid sh*t on facebook to look like their lives are so exciting. I like having friends and everything, but sometimes I feel like I don't fit in with these kind of girls. I feel like my old roots are coming back out from when I was my old "artsy" self.

How do yall feel about sorority girls?

It's never too late to try out new things :) You don't have to change yourself to fit their standards. It's good that you took the initiative and joined the group. It's not always what you see on the outside. You're bound to find a few good friends in the sorority.

I'm not American, so I don't really understand about sororities. Do you all have to live in the same hall of residence on campus? Can any student choose to join any sorority, or do you have to apply and then be approved or rejected? Are most students in a sorority?

"what do yall think of sorority girls?"

Not too bad lightly grilled with some green beans on the side.

Serious note though what's so wrong with your old "artsy" self and why do you feel the need to fit in with these girls?

Sorority girls gross me out. In the same way that fraternity guys gross me out. It seems like you are just trying to fit in with what your ideal of popularity and success is. You are most likely missing your old "roots" as you call them, because these people aren't you and by attempting to fit in with them you are destroying your previous sense of self. If you believe you can utilize being a sorority member on your resume fine, but honestly there are better less self destructive ways to make yourself look good on a piece of paper.

I don't know, it would really depend on the person. My first perception is that they'd be the stereotypical ditzy, platinum blonde girls with little brains, but I know thats not necessarily true. Try it out, and if you don't like doing stuff with them after a while stop meeting them. Usually doesn't hurt to try new things.

SophiaGrace said:
I joined a sorority my first semester. They were nothing like me.

We know you were pretty dam disappointed that they didn't enjoy jello wrestling in bikinis the way you did Soph- dam those sorority girls anyway ;)

To go along with a group you do not belong, I believe not much good can come of it. To me it seems, they would lead in the other direction from where you should go.

It is good you take a chance, but, if it feels you do not belong with them, is there some other group you can join? For "artsy" people, perhaps?

Lonely in BC said:
SophiaGrace said:
I joined a sorority my first semester. They were nothing like me.

We know you were pretty dam disappointed that they didn't enjoy jello wrestling in bikinis the way you did Soph- dam those sorority girls anyway ;)

(yum)

I don't have a clue what Sororoty Girls are. I can't even spell the word right lol.

I lived next to a couple of sorority girls. I don't like them, even though we got along well.

I always felt like something was missing, and that they gossiped a lot, putting other people down. They were very judgmental and didn't have much to say. I also think they were sort of insecure (hence the gossiping), yet extremely arrogant because they had it all? Though for what reason I don't know: they weren't exactly pretty or interesting (quite the contrary), but they tried to act like it, it was sort of pathetic really. Again, we got along, but they were very manipulative, though they might call themselves 'social people.' They were really nice when they needed help, but I didn't trust them then, and I wouldn't trust them now. I don't like it when people play games and aren't upfront

When we talked about something interesting, something aside from their boyfriends (who- of course -were the best looking guys in the world because that's what a relationship is all about) or sorority, one of them would constantly talk about how weird our conversation was (she wouldn't stop!). Weird people use the word weird a lot, and I believe I am- according to one of the girls -into weird girls. I guess when you're girlfriend is 28 (I am 23) and she has actually done something interesting with her life (travel, have a job et cetera), you're into weird girls... I don't think she meant to offend me, but I find it a bit rich coming from someone who classifies other people as either friends, or people she can easily spit on (that is kind of weird right? Not to mention rude)

Very immature and superficial people in my opinion, and annoying. Guess that's what happens when you put together a bunch of insecure teenage girls who try to pretend collectively that they are very, very mature...

But they weren't bad people, they just acted like total retards and were still very young and naive. Strange for me to be so harsh, normally I am easy-going, but they were really superficial and annoying. They got on my nerves! Ah well, hope they see the light some day, they'll be fine

I know quite a few people that are 'sorority girls' or 'frat boys'. Some of them are full of themself punks, but some are really nice. Depends on the person I guess.

There are many different types of sororities but it sounds like the one you joined lends credence to the stereotype.
I have a friend who is in a sorority like the one you describe and I care about her deeply. It hurts to see her binge drinking and sleeping around with people just for sport but that's what these types do and if you hang out with them and don't, you will be regarded as odd. The hardest part is to see her throwing away her unique gifts in exchange for utter conformity. It is not uncommon to have to wear the same brand jeans or the same Tiffany's bracelet. Sounds like the movies but this is real stuff.
Greek life is like a cult. If you want to be popular you will have to extinguish, or at least hide, parts of you that are different.

They intimidate me.

But my sister is in one.

but shes just my younger sister... so...

Latest posts

Back