What do you do for work & does it affect your personal life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonM

Reaction score
My work is in web/graphic design and I have the good fortune not only to work alone, but also work from home half the time. Best job I ever had.

The job I held before that was as an administrative assistant in a pharmaceutical call center. The stress and anxiety made me sick on a daily basis. Worst job I ever had.

I work for an IT company on a large account. My hours are tailored around the nights I have my kids which is really useful, its meant I can pick the boys up from school and play more of an active part in their life. I used to work on the helpdesk as a team leader of desktop support, that was stressful as I was managing 20 people across 2 sites and it was all about hitting call targets and stressed staff makes for stressed managers! Anyway I moved to a new role in a new building so no longer customer facing and spend my days piddling about with code, perl scripts and servers, more fun, more money, far less hassle and stress.

I also do nothing for work and it affects my personal life by permitting me to have the lifestyle of a crazy cat lady shut in.

My work creates my personal life in a way. It's the only way I meet new people, not that I go out and hang with my coworker but we get along extremely well.

I definitely want to break into the computer science field. This probably means that I will need to step up my efforts to get up to date technologically. A good first step in that direction is the study of PHP, which I hear is a better alternative to Perl. Does anybody know where IT jobs are most densely concentrated?

I have heard that if you are self-taught, then it is possible to get a good paying job. Others have told me that self-taught or not, I'll need a high level degree if I want to get anywhere. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between the two extremes.

At the current moment, I am unemployed. I resigned from my last post due to stress and the onset of frequent panic attacks. Although, I imagine that might come with the territory of being a customer service representative(Sales... yeesh. Do not Want.)

Wessik said:
I definitely want to break into the computer science field. This probably means that I will need to step up my efforts to get up to date technologically. A good first step in that direction is the study of PHP, which I hear is a better alternative to Perl. Does anybody know where IT jobs are most densely concentrated?

That's a broad question; different types of IT jobs are densely concentrated in various places. Tech hubs, however, are generally in Washington state(Microsoft, etc), California(Silicon Valley), Texas(esp. Dallas were I live, aka Silicon Prairie), and Georgia(very strong tech universities).

You'll need to sell yourself somehow. Self-taught can be hard to demonstrate, and at the same time, degrees are ignored! Its really not persay an easier job, but it is more specialized and more valued in that sense(especially monetarily); The Good Citizen does have a pretty nice setup, but he also has a long of background experience by his post and is in Europe, where workers have more rights.

Basically, you need to demonstrate your marketability to employers. One way to do that is to really get into coding(for example, Java), write an app and begin selling it successfully. Or you could create a large and cohesive portfolio, which will dazzle an employer. Or you can get certifications backed by a degree, which will establish you as solid pick.

Realistically, its a good idea to begin working from a degree, which will also allow you to network with professionals through associations. Don't slack off in other departments either.

Basically, you need to do all of that. Its very much a field where knowledge is an endless requirement and falling behind can get you wiped out.

I'm a Senior IT Infrastructure Architect. I have no social life for it to interfere with, but if I pretty much work 8-4 with occasional after hours duties for maintenance, etc. It wouldn't really affect a social life at all.

Latest posts

Back