What do you think of this statement?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh...I dunno doesn't make much sense to me. I get it, but it's the word opportunity that doesn't work for me. :-/

SophiaGrace said:
Friendship is not an opportunity it's a responsibility.

It would be a good statement if there was anything in it. I people felt responsible to befriend others then we would not be sitting here on this forum.

People take and that is human nature. I often feel a big element of why I ended up so isolated and alone is that I don’t have anything to give anyone. I have a strange and sardonic sense of humour that most people don’t get so I don’t make people laugh and I can not bring anything to anyone’s life other than chat/hanging out.

So if I have nothing to give why should anyone owe a responsibility to befriend me?? I mean F**K! You guys are lonely and/or depressed and I cant even make a friend out of any of you!

cumulus.james said:
? I mean F**K! You guys are lonely and/or depressed and I cant even make a friend out of any of you!

I've found that if you hang out in our chatroom that it is quite easy to make friends.

Just keep reaching out to people via PM, you'll find someone. :)

Pheenix said:
I disagree with the sentence.

Could you tell me why you disagree? I'm curious.

SophiaGrace said:

I think with the many different definitions of friendship, its not very useful. But the sentiment behind it is beautiful and very mature.

It depends on the people, to be honest. Some people do feel obligated, to have some responsibility to their friends. For example if something went wrong, they'd feel the need to tell them what happened. I'm like that myself. I feel like I should inform friends of something that's wrong. As far as it being an opportunity, everything in life is.

It's both, because first you need the opportunity to make friends then it's kind of a responsibility because you have to... I don't wanna say work, but... STRIVE to maintain it. A friendship won't last if you don't put out any effort.

cumulus.james said:
SophiaGrace said:

It would be a good statement if there was anything in it. I people felt responsible to befriend others then we would not be sitting here on this forum.

People take and that is human nature. I often feel a big element of why I ended up so isolated and alone is that I don’t have anything to give anyone. I have a strange and sardonic sense of humour that most people don’t get so I don’t make people laugh and I can not bring anything to anyone’s life other than chat/hanging out.

So if I have nothing to give why should anyone owe a responsibility to befriend me?? I mean F**K! You guys are lonely and/or depressed and I cant even make a friend out of any of you!

I've seen quite a few posts of yours that are either insulting, offending, whining or bitching about how "we" don't have as many problems as you do and "we" don't know what it's like. Stop making excuses, be kind and respectful, put out some effort and stop judging everyone and maybe get to know some of us and that could possibly change.

Callie said:
I've seen quite a few posts of yours that are either insulting, offending, whining or bitching about how "we" don't have as many problems as you do and "we" don't know what it's like. Stop making excuses, be kind and respectful, put out some effort and stop judging everyone and maybe get to know some of us and that could possibly change.

Callie, don't worry. Cumulus doesn't pay attention to anyone or anything, and proved it to me a few days ago.

I think it means you can't expect friends to land in your lap, and thatyou have to be willing to maintain their upkeep. They are people afterall, and aren't we all inheirently selfish?

[/quote]

Callie, don't worry. Cumulus doesn't pay attention to anyone or anything, and proved it to me a few days ago.
[/quote]

That is an unfair and uncalled for attack on me. I have never attacked anyone on here and of coarse I pay attention to things else I would not be writing!

Are you as narrow minded as the moderators of other forums - if my opinions don’t fit in then you attack? If so shouldn’t you be moderating a celebrity discussion forum or something not a sensitive forum where a good many of the users are going to have some form of depression.

I would not expect a moderator to be making personal jibes at people! Surely your role is to stop that kind of thing not invoke it.

Well, James, for what it is worth, you have made blanket statements that indicate that none of us have any reason to feel depressed and blatantly disregard our feelings. That does not inspire warm fuzzy responses.

IgnoredOne said:
Well, James, for what it is worth, you have made blanket statements that indicate that none of us have any reason to feel depressed and blatantly disregard our feelings. That does not inspire warm fuzzy responses.

I was very miss-understood in that post.

SophiaGrace said:
Pheenix said:
I disagree with the sentence.

Could you tell me why you disagree? I'm curious.

Eh, I guess I'm just missing the point. It doesn't seem like much of a question to me, so I'm probably missing the subtleties.
Why should you be responsible to make friends? It's something people do at their own leisure, and there are wildly different interests in it. You don't somehow owe the world to make friends, all you owe the world is to produce equal material to what you destroy/consume.

Personally, I am still working out with a psychologist whether or not I am asocial, and I wouldn't want to be forced to be socialize if we conclude that this is the case.

It's kinda like taking anything else for granted, you're bound to lose it if you don't appreciate it properly.

[/quote]
Personally, I am still working out with a psychologist whether or not I am asocial, and I wouldn't want to be forced to be socialize if we conclude that this is the case.
[/quote]

What is "asocial"? I've never heard of that before. Would be intersted to hear more aout it from you.

Simply means not desiring social interaction. I am most likely not borderline asocial, but I might have different traits of it, some of which might be temporary, some of which might not.

Pheenix said:
Simply means not desiring social interaction. I am most likely not borderline asocial, but I might have different traits of it, some of which might be temporary, some of which might not.

Out of curiousity, is this the same as having an Antisocial Personality Disorder? Or a different diagnosis entirely?

IgnoredOne said:
Pheenix said:

Out of curiousity, is this the same as having an Antisocial Personality Disorder? Or a different diagnosis entirely?

Different diagnosis entirely. I see people misuse the word antisocial on here all the time. In the psychological field it means more of being destructive to the fabric of society.

As in a criminal has antisocial behavior, their behavior that was antisocial being that which landed them in jail.

Asocial I think is a better word, because the prefix is a, which means without, rather than anti, which means against.

Hope that helps. :)

SophiaGrace said:
IgnoredOne said:
Pheenix said:

Different diagnosis entirely. I see people misuse the word antisocial on here all the time. In the psychological field it means more of being destructive to the fabric of society.

As in a criminal has antisocial behavior, their behavior that was antisocial being that which landed them in jail.

Asocial I think is a better word, because the prefix is a, which means without, rather than anti, which means against.

Hope that helps. :)

No lol I still don’t understand it. it sounds like something that may apply to me. I am always looking for a diagnosis because if you have a diagnosis you may be able to find a treatment. If my loneliness and isolation had a cause then perhaps there’s a cure?

Latest posts

Back