What scares you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbaloot said:
Humans and their infectious diseases.

Is it wrong of me to cringe every time a person exhales in front of me? I feel like I am inhaling their death.

People collecting other people's fears so they can use them as weapons against them. :D

Secondarily, people's expectations and the future. Specifically, people's expectations for my future. I get really nervous when people asks "when are you gonna get married, get a real job, get your own place?" I want to be happy is I am.

This always feared me but being stuck on a rollercoaster for hrs. I fear dark scary basements, bugs, big dogs, feeling trapped, big arguments..... :(

- something happening to my friends or family
- not knowing what to say
- arguments
- and this:
Lone Apothecary said:
The act of dying. Not death itself, but suffering immensely through a protracted death.

Maybe I'm cold-hearted... but my family dying really isn't a big fear for me.

I know that I'll survive if any of my loved ones die. MY life isn't going to end if theirs does. And while I might miss them, I know that eventually I'd learn to cope with it. I mean... people die. It's a natural part of being alive to end up dying one day. *shrug*

I love them and everything... it's just not a big fear for me if they end up dying early or something.

Does that make me a psychopath? (wary)

SophiaGrace said:

Yes. This. Above all else.

Badjedidude said:

I know that I'll survive if any of my loved ones die. MY life isn't going to end if theirs does. And while I might miss them, I know that eventually I'd learn to cope with it. I mean... people die. It's a natural part of being alive to end up dying one day. *shrug*

I love them and everything... it's just not a big fear for me if they end up dying early or something.

No. What you've described is that you know your own resiliency and would be able to cope with the loss. That is not the same as feeling nothing. A psychopath would have a complete deficit of genuine emotion. They only know the primal animal instincts: eat, hunt, play, fight. If you have ever apologized (and genuinely meant it) in your life, you are not a psychopath.

Clowns scare the s*it out of me. I blame Stephen King's IT and John Wayne Gacy :]
Lifts.
Crowded places.
People.
Jigsaw putting me to the test. /I know he's imaginary but still../

Badjedidude said:

I have the same. Or similar. I'm not a family person. I feel I should be to keep up appearances but I honestly have to set a reminder in my phone to remind me to call my mother. We've never been close. She told me the other day she'd had a mild cardiac arrest. I felt nothing. I find it hard to love people (especially if they admitted they would prefer to have somebody different as a daughter). Even my family members. I guess that makes me a bad person. A sick person. Or maybe just a person with emotions significantly shifted.

DeBe said:
I find it hard to love people (especially if they admitted they would prefer to have somebody different as a daughter). Even my family members. I guess that makes me a bad person. A sick person.

Nah, I wouldn't say you're either bad or sick.

Some are family people.... others aren't, I guess.

If you really want to know what scares the crap out of me, you should know that just getting up in the morning requires a significant amount of effort, in terms of facing down my fears.

For the past few weeks, I have been living with anxiety and panic. I would not recommend the experience to anyone.

Badjedidude said:
Some are family people.... others aren't, I guess.

Yes, that's one. But then again, I don't think there's any healthy excuse /family person or not/ for not loving your family members, is there? You ought to love'em, they're your blood. Or maybe that's just the society's idea. I feel family members should be treated a bit differently than other (strange) people. But somehow everybody's in line with everybody else, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I know, I'm cold and cynical, and whatnot.

DeBe said:
...I don't think there's any healthy excuse...for not loving your family members, is there? You ought to love'em, they're your blood...

You either subscribe to the idea that blood's thicker than water or you don't. I don't, I think it's a tired idea, and I don't think anyone needs an excuse for not loving someone, family or otherwise.

I don't need an excuse for not being fond of certain foods, so I don't think I need an excuse for not being fond of certain people.

I have been afraid of so many things in my life, since when I was young. I don't like to go outside alone when it's dark, especially to dark forests... Old men staring me and big spiders are scary. And losing loved ones...

Lone Apothecary said:
DeBe said:
...I don't think there's any healthy excuse...for not loving your family members, is there? You ought to love'em, they're your blood...

You either subscribe to the idea that blood's thicker than water or you don't. I don't, I think it's a tired idea, and I don't think anyone needs an excuse for not loving someone, family or otherwise.

I don't need an excuse for not being fond of certain foods, so I don't think I need an excuse for not being fond of certain people.

Hmm I don't think being family gives anyone an immediate right to be loved. It depends on their behavior just as it does with any other person. You might love family even if you don't get along well or they've mistreated you, but you don't have to. I love my parents, but that's because I think they're wonderful people and we care about each other.

Unless you were abandoned at birth, you ought to believe that blood is thicker than water. That man, woman or the both of them kept you warm, protected your delicate little body, fed you in your helpless state, swaddled you in clothes, gave you medicine, carefully changed your diapers and cleaned the poop away from your skin. If you don't see that as a reason for believing that blood is thicker than water, you might need a reality check or to experience parenthood from the other side.

Blood is more assuredly thicker than water. There are family members that I absolutely detest. Yet I would lay my life down in defense of them without hesitation. No questions asked.

@bodafuko: For the sake of not further polluting this thread with posts that are only somewhat on-topic, I'll respond to that elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back