What to do with my life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

troubled

Does anyone find it hard knowing what to do with their future?

I've dropped out of uni once before, and i'm in a position where I don't know what to study. If I had chosen the right subjects I would have done something like history or english at uni.. then found my way after that, but since i didn't i guess that is out of the window.

Not knowing what to do has left me isolated for what seems like forever. I just want to move on with my life?

i too have absolutely no idea what to do with myself right now either. but i have kind of reached a point where this just isnt going to cut it for much longer. i feel like i am slipping away and i just dont know what to do.

Same here.
I have been out of high-school for several years and am still unsure as to where to go career-wise.
Right now I am just signing up for volunteer groups, and am hoping it will help me spark up some interest in a particular field one way or another.
Have you started looking around?
I think just testing the waters will hopefully give you some direction.

You gotta cut the apron strings at some point and be independent. Go out with the girl.

Volunteering and just general life experience is a good way to figure out what you enjoy. I learned a lot about how the world works simply by working on the brush crew I was with and having the associated experiences that accompanied the job.

As for college...I don't know about general studies degrees. I guess to me they seem like a waste for the most part. To me it seems like a better value to get something that qualifies you for a job at some level, like a tech degree, or one of the Sciences or This-or-That Management. Unless of course you just want to study History or English for the sake of learning.

I really dont think it matters. I'm just following the big salaries...maybe there is some happiness in that.

i didnt even make it to uni, i got all the qualifications and dint go because i dont know what i want to do, i have just been working in this office for 18 months and things seem to be getting worse, i need the money to live so i cant stop working and the things i enjoy are are really hard to make money from and im not particularly skilled at them anyways. sometimes i enjoy working in the office but there are more days when i dont. i just keep soldiering on hoping that some great idea will come to me.

I'm in a similar position. I quit uni about 6 years ago, and I'll be 29 in a few months. I have job (fortunately), yet I am tired of it and really wish to move to something else. Feeling lost! I feel like I'm reaching for something, ANYTHING to unwarp my mind and lift my spirit. Happiness only surfaces briefly. Some things just give me a boost momentarily.

I bought a book which came in the mail yesterday. I plan to finish it in under a month. I've never been much of a book reader but I feel like this could help me somehow. The real motivation, I believe, cane from my observation of my vocabulary slipping. I doubt my spelling of words and speech more than ever before. I'm even lazier when posting at message boards than I used to be. All of my education just feels like it has gone to waste.

I've totally stopped exercising. I was making progress (not that I'm fat or anything), but it has been months since I was on that consistent routine. This happens every year, it seems.

Argh!

It seems to me that helping other people is a good way to find a sense of purpose in your life.

Years ago, I was unemployed for quite a while, and I filled that time by visiting family friends and helping them with their computers (showing them how do to use their computer for new things, fixing problems, etc). It's a great feeling knowing that you're improving other people's lives in some way.

I know that many old people in retirement homes are very miserable because no-one comes to visit them, not even their family. Volunteering to spend a few hours just having friendly chats with these people would make a massive difference to their lonely lives, and you'd feel good about helping them too. Old people always have amazing experiences to share from their lives.

Just a couple of suggestions! Not really long-term career suggestions, I know, but maybe worth trying?

troubled said:
I'm meant to be going away with my parents like we do each year, but i've got the chance to go to a festival with a girl I know. I'm pretty scared.. I feel so innocent and lost. I haven't really grown up.. i'm very close to my parents and their security.

I know exactly how you feel. But I'm slowly learning that some of the best experiences in life occur when you move out of your comfort zone, and into a completely new, unfamiliar and exciting experience.

Part of me would just prefer to sit in my room forever, all nice and safe and comfortable! But when I had to fly abroad on a business trip recently, I had the most wonderful time. It was waaaaay out of my comfort zone, and a little scary, but it was just wonderful!

So my advice is: go to the festival! It might be a little bit scary, but it'll really help you grow and mature, and I'm sure you'll have an awesome time too :)

Latest posts

Back