What to say..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CellarDoor

Reaction score
First off, I'm very new to the forums as a member but have been coming back again and again as a guest. I feel alone a lot. I have people around me but not very close, if you get what I mean. I've had a lot of friends who ask me, "are you ok?" or "is something wrong?" when I dont spend time with them.... I want soooo bad to just say "YES, I'm alone in life and it gets worse everyday." You see I want nothing more then attention it makes my loneliness go away very quickly. But I cant... when posed with this question I always say something along the lines of "I'm fine." or "don't worry about me." Please help and comment if you have had similar experiences.... thanks for your time.

CellarDoor said:
First off, I'm very new to the forums as a member but have been coming back again and again as a guest. I feel alone a lot. I have people around me but not very close, if you get what I mean. I've had a lot of friends who ask me, "are you ok?" or "is something wrong?" when I dont spend time with them.... I want soooo bad to just say "YES, I'm alone in life and it gets worse everyday." You see I want nothing more then attention it makes my loneliness go away very quickly. But I cant... when posed with this question I always say something along the lines of "I'm fine." or "don't worry about me." Please help and comment if you have had similar experiences.... thanks for your time.

I am a new member to, this is the first time I have been here. I think every person that feels alone usually either wants a lot of attention or to be left alone, if you know something is wrong you should talk to someone you trust or a complet stranger thast you probably wont ever see face to face but it will help the loneliness go away I think. Good Luck.

CellarDoor said:

Same here about attention thing, as a way to get attention just find some hobby with some competition (it works good until you get bored or it gets to hard to compete) and then you can socialize easier at least it worked a little for me

I've found this site to be a good outlet for expressing myself and my feelings of loneliness. I did not expect anyone to care but I have been pleasantly surprised with the kind words and advice I have received here.

Antihero said:
I've found this site to be a good outlet for expressing myself and my feelings of loneliness. I did not expect anyone to care but I have been pleasantly surprised with the kind words and advice I have received here.

compared to other forums, this is a very nice place to discuss problems.

I think you're doing the right thing. It really depends on your personality. Once I was at a Single's Party and I came across this very bubbly and open woman in her late 40s. She's a single parent. She was casually telling everybody that she was there because of loneliness. It was the way she said it I guess - it was like a joke, not very serious but if she was brave enough to even joke about it, I guess that's a good thing.

On the other hand, I think you are wise in that you just don't want to tell your friends "Look I'm lonely." First of all, how close are you with these friends? Do you think they'd take you seriously and are able to say a kind word to you? If not, then I think its pretty normal to say "I'm fine."

But since they seem genuinely concerned, maybe you could pick a time where you can tell them "Actually I feel lonely". You never know, sometimes these people will help you - in that they'll invite you to more of their outings, or introduce you to more friends. I guess sometimes in order to get help, you need to risk being vulnerable to some. It's always a risk. You never know if it will backfire but you learn along the lines...or maybe not...

CellarDoor I do the same thing IRL when someone asks those questions. It's just the way most of us are. Like yesterday my boss called and asked how things were, I said "Not bad" but the tone in my voice was different. He asked me what was wrong. I just told him "Oh nothing, everything is good".

Coming here is the only place I real feel like I can open up and talk about things that I wouldn't in real life. It's a scary thing to make yourself vulnerable to a person like that, and feel as though you are burdening them with your problems. I've tried that but some just don't seem to understand what it feels like. You need a like minded person or someone who is much more compassionate or empathetic. Which we have plenty of here.

Latest posts

Back