What was the last book you read?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me cry every dang time I read it, his loneliness and pain kills me.
theoldmanandthesea.jpg

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth - by Reza Aslan. A nice intro to current scholarly ideas of what the historical Jesus--as opposed to the Christ believed in by religious folk--was really like. Of necessity the picture is incomplete, but fascinating nonetheless.

just ordered Jonathan Crary's 24/7: late capitalism and the ends of sleep

about how modern work organizations completely neglect biological necessities for purposes of profit and surveillance,

I can relate to that

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1429-24-7

MTrip said:
Just started in on The End of Oil, by Paul Roberts. Highly recommended for those who want to know the real prospects for satisfying future energy demands.

this looks very interesting

I finished it fairly quickly:
Make_Room%21_Make_Room%21.jpg

Mine is the Kindle edition...It's quite prophetic. The only major differences are that Harrison's version of 1999 doesn't have computers or corporate domination, but the masses of dullards & huge class divisions are definitely present.

Ledia said:
Salman Rushdie, Fury. I hate the guy and his novel.

Why, what's wrong with Rushdie?

I've never read any of his work. Gotta admit, though...the guy has brass balls, to write something like The Satanic Verses. God forbid you ever offend the mullahs these days.

MTrip said:
Ledia said:
Salman Rushdie, Fury. I hate the guy and his novel.

Why, what's wrong with Rushdie?

I've never read any of his work. Gotta admit, though...the guy has brass balls, to write something like The Satanic Verses. God forbid you ever offend the mullahs these days.

I enjoyed Midnights Children, beautifully descriptive and the first magical realist novel I'd read. I know he divides opinion though.

Steven Rinella's "American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon"

Not my usual fair, but I like animals and I've been reading a lot of fiction and wanted to try some factual stuff for once. =)

Why aren't you all reading, or more importantly buying my books??? I keep checking the thread in hope one day one will magically appear...

*sigh*

Sorry - carry on, little self-indulgant rant over :p

The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman. Big thumbs up!!! :)

Just started Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, and Margaret Atwood's newest novel, Maddadam, plus reliving old memories and re-reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Edward W said:
Why aren't you all reading, or more importantly buying my books??? I keep checking the thread in hope one day one will magically appear...

*sigh*

Sorry - carry on, little self-indulgant rant over :p

Already did lol.

I never was a reader. I always saw myself as more of a video/audio type of person. I am a HUGE fan of when a movie, tv show, or video game has the right music for a scene. Music and imagery evokes things from me. I decided to get a book that has to do with something that I already have a vested interest in. I tried this and read it much quicker than I thought I would.

Mass_Effect_cover.jpg

Then I immediately went out and bought the next two books from this series. I would have bought the fourth and last one too if it was there. Now I have a huge list of books I want to buy.

Latest posts

Back