What was your part in it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
Have you ever thought to consider what your part is in something that you don't like about your life? While it doesn't apply to all areas, a lot of times in relationships (or lack of) we play a part in the outcome. I have seen people get angry with the other person in a relationship and sometimes they play the role of victim when it isn't the case.

Can you look back on your past relationships and point out the things you were responsible for? It's a good way to be mindful. This isn't intended to be judgmental but rather an observation. Forget about about right and wrong here.

I know that in my past relationships (romantic and otherwise), I can point out the things that I did to foster the outcomes. For example, I was in a relationship where I wasn't treated very well. At first I wanted to say, "Oh that horrible person did this or that to me and he doesn't care about how I feel." While that was true, that person wasn't to blame for my unhappiness. I was. I was the one who CHOSE to be in that relationship. I could have walked away at any time. Instead, I stayed in it and CHOSE to gripe about the other persons behavior.

Life is full of choices and so are our lives. Sometimes it is easier to be a victim and say we have no control over what is going on. It's easier to blame others than to admit to ourselves that we play a part in what happens. No, we can't always control WHAT happens to us but, we can control how we respond to it. We can chose to grow from our lessons or we can repeat them.

The scary thing about getting stuck in pain (which is a way of protecting ourselves) is that we will forever remain there until we decide to change. There is no reality, only perception. It isn't what happens to us but, how we percieve what happens to us. Change your perception and you change your life. "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." -Alan Cohen

The choice is ours. We can be helpless victims or we can actively take part in creating our future. Sometimes that means breaking out of our familiar emotional places and comfort zone. Sometimes it's uncomfortable but, it is always worth it. "Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action."- Benjamin Disraeli

What is your part in your future? In your present? In your past?

Naleena said:
Can you look back on your past relationships and point out the things you were responsible for?

Yup and when i finally get past the point of blaming myself for everything then i can actually learn a little.

Minus said:
Yup and when i finally get past the point of blaming myself for everything then i can actually learn a little.

It's ok to see the other person's part in the outcome too, Minus :)
It's not about blaming yourself or anyone else, it's about learning and becoming a better person because of what has happened.....inspite of what has happened. Blame (guilt or any other negative feeling) doesn't serve us. Those things we need to let go of. You are not the same person you were then nor are you the person you will be in the future. We are sometimes much harder on ourselves than we are other people. We forget we are human and we mess up sometimes but, it's ok. That is how we learn and grow. Wisdom comes from experience and experience from making mistakes and learning from them.

"We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations."
-Anais Nin

Personally, I don't feel bad that any of my relationships ended. These things happen, and its far better to seperate than to be in a relationship where one or both are unhappy. Ok, I may sound like a flake for saying that, lol, but I wouldn't want someone to stay together with me because it was what I wanted, or indeed, for me to stay with them because that was their wish.

Steel said:
Personally, I don't feel bad that any of my relationships ended. These things happen, and its far better to seperate than to be in a relationship where one or both are unhappy. Ok, I may sound like a flake for saying that, lol, but I wouldn't want someone to stay together with me because it was what I wanted, or indeed, for me to stay with them because that was their wish.

Perhaps it is because you do not fear the future or loneliness? Have you ever thought of why people hold onto relationships when they no longer are healthy?

Naleena said:
Steel said:

Perhaps it is because you do not fear the future or loneliness? Have you ever thought of why people hold onto relationships when they no longer are healthy?

A variety of reasons.. fear, loneliness, dependance. I think it's far healthier to want someone in your life, rather than to need someone.

Naleena said:
[ Have you ever thought of why people hold onto relationships when they no longer are healthy?

Sometimes it's completely financial. :(
My wife doesn't work and I still feel like I need to help her make a new start. Even though theres no love, I can't just walk away, even after she cheated on me and told me she only married me so I could take care of her, I loved her. I've offered to pay for her go back to school but she doesn't want to. I guess I have a big decision to make. It's not if I leave but when.
Soon. Real soon.

Naleena said:
Have you ever thought of why people hold onto relationships when they no longer are healthy?

I held onto my relationship, until just recently, because I felt safe with him. But, when I realized that whether or not I felt safe, actually being in a relationship with him didn't matter. If he was going to leave, he would do it anyway. That connection we had was no longer there, and now that I think about it, I don't think it ever will be again. On top of all the deeper thoughts, I just simply loved him. So, it's hard for me to let go. But, I can't keep holding on to something that's just not there.

I alway play the good part :p

One can call it healing, getting well or higher awarness.
It usually isn't until through growth (growning pains) that a person can look back with 20/20 vision.lol

There's innocent victims in life. This much is true.
All i have to do is flick on the box and watch replays of a young innocent life died with her eyes open.

Some victims do not recognized or are aware that they are victims.

Hine site is always 20/20 if we are willing to look to observe.
To know with certainty or clearer vision dose not automatically constitute change.
There are forces outside of us and inside us that will whatever that will maybe.
Freedom isn't free.
The ironic truth is....We are borned free.

I have been looking back a lot lately. Not at past relationships (since I've never been in a relationship), but at missed opportunities FOR relationships. I now believe there were several such opportunities that I was oblivious to at the time, and I can't help but wonder why I was unable to see them then when they are so painfully clear to me now.

I have decided that I most likely DID see them on some level, but the concept of trying ot pursue a relationship was (and is) so foreign and terrifying that I chose not to recognize opportunity when it kicked me in the crotch. So I shied away from it, fearful of the discomfort of putting myself out there, and strengthened the walls of the shell in which I have always dwelt.

Learning from mistakes made BEFORE possible relationships even start can be just as important as learning from mistakes made IN a relationship. Only time will tell if I have learned anything or not, I suppose.

I do kind of understand what Nalee is saying.
It's not the first time I've heard "what's your part in it?"
I've heard this decades ago when I first go clean and sober.
I used to hate my ex-wf with a passion...and it used to euck the honeysuckle out of me
when I had to take my own inventory...admit my wrongs..what's my freaken part in it.
Then clean up my side of the street or my freaken mess.

When dealing with my ex-gf
I simply refuse to blame myself for loving someone.
Yes I'm totally aware of co-dependency.
Hello, I used to be the trouble maker or the dependcey dude.lol

That's my part in it....I love her. I truely love her very much.
And i refuse to blame myself or feel guilty if my Ex-GF refused to hold herself accountible for the wreckages
she's cuased to our lives .Evidently I didn't approve of her actions.
Nothing good came out of that...I don't see it today..
I've only seen wreackage and heartaches.

If anything I'm forced to just fucken move on wheather i like it or not.
That's my part in it today..
It never had to be this way though.
But it is what it is....
It's not as if I didn't have the wisdom or the concept of this a long, long time ago...It's simple.
ACCEPTENCE is a son of a *****...

Yes i know i can't change her and only myself...I know must move on.
Never the less...I'm not going to feel guilty, blame or hate myself for loving her and being by her through all of that honeysuckle.

I understand about spiritual teachings, higher consiousness, being in the moment , happiness in an inside job and all that...
Yes...I understand about letting go....decades ago.

Never the less...I'm not fucken superman...I'm not super human, I'm not god.
I bleed like everyone...I need love and effections just like any other human being.
I want someone to come home to after a hard day at work and to cuddle to or kiss me and hold me.
I don't think that's too much to ask for.....

Latest posts

Back