What's So Special About Belief?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheLonelySkeptic

Political, social, personal, economic and other avenues of opinion aren't immune from ridicule. Why should religion be of any exception?

I'd like to hear some arguments.

Because many people don't see it as an opinion; to them it is a fact and they cannot be dissuaded otherwise. Also, there are some who are devout/fanaticals and who are quick to anger, causing a mere discussion to get carried away into a heated argument.

I personally will talk about anything really. I like to get other people's views on different matters. Whether I incorporate them into my own, is another matter itself though.

Estreen said:
Because many people don't see it as an opinion; to them it is a fact and they cannot be dissuaded otherwise. Also, there are some who are devout/fanaticals and who are quick to anger, causing a mere discussion to get carried away into a heated argument.

I personally will talk about anything really. I like to get other people's views on different matters. Whether I incorporate them into my own, is another matter itself though.

You've explained why it's a taboo subject, but you haven't put forth any reason it should be exempt from ridicule. Of course, knowing you I don't think you agree with that.

Liapos said:
You've explained why it's a taboo subject, but you haven't put forth any reason it should be exempt from ridicule. Of course, knowing you I don't think you agree with that.

Don't those go hand in hand when taboo is put to an extreme?

When you attack religion in many cases you're attacking some people's core belief. It can be their explanation of who they are, why they are, their whole world and being. It can be their whole universe. So they can feel thike everything about themselves in under fire.

Liapos said:
Estreen said:

You're right, I don't agree. :p I think it shouldn't be exempt from discussion. That was just my thoughts as to why it usually is.

As the saying goes (I'm paraphrasing this): "Two topics to avoid are politics and religion" People can get too "emotional" about it. Not that I'm criticizing that though.

LonelyDragon said:
Liapos said:

When you attack religion in many cases you're attacking some people's core belief. It can be their explanation of who they are, why they are, their whole world and being. It can be their whole universe. So they can feel thike everything about themselves in under fire.

I understand the emotional implications of criticizing someone's "core beliefs;" but that's still no reason to place them on a pedestal. Just because criticism hurts someone's feelings doesn't mean that someone should be exempt from it.

Sure, respect and cordiality have roles in it, but in no way should religion be immune from the same criticism we apply to everything else in our lives.

Liapos said:
LonelyDragon said:
Liapos said:

I understand the emotional implications of criticizing someone's "core beliefs;" but that's still no reason to place them on a pedestal. Just because criticism hurts someone's feelings doesn't mean that someone should be exempt from it.

Sure, respect and cordiality have roles in it, but in no way should religion be immune from the same criticism we apply to everything else in our lives.

Ok now, criticism and ridicule are different animals. I agree that constructive criticism should and in many cases would be allowed, but ridicule would be unwelcome by anyone. It would be like me either telling you that you don't look quite right in that color shirt or telling you that you look like honeysuckle.

I've found that if worded right even religion can be discussed and even debated. I myself don't agree with very many people on the subject. In fact I've only come across one other person who came close. But I enjoy discussing the subject with people when I'm careful to word it just so. My favorite person to talk to about it and the things I believed and didn't was a Christian pastor back in NH.

lol, stop looking for fights, Zak.:p Those are on the OTHER thread. Let's keep it that way, shall we? :D Thus far, the posters on this thread seem to be completely capable of having a debate without hurling personal insults. How refreshing!

But...if you want a fight that badly....

:club: lol, I'll help Larry club you! :p

cheers

I have a different question then what is so special about belief. Instead I would ask what is belief? Why do we believe in something?

Skorian said:
I have a different question then what is so special about belief. Instead I would ask what is belief? Why do we believe in something?

Very good question, Skorian! :)

Wow, that is a good question. I think that would be different for each person. In many cases maybe it's just what they were taught or what they grew up "knowing" so to speak (in other words it's they way people around them believed and so it just became a part of them through their environment). But I'm sure there could be other reasons as well.

It could be that something major happened in their life and what they believe is something that explains it for them. That's kinda how it is for me. Over time my belief has changed to better fit my life and experiences. It's not as ingrained for me as it is for many people which allows it to evolve as my life/experiences/perceptions change.

Latest posts

Back