What's your OCD?

• Thread starter daughter of the moon
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cool:Yeah, some fun was kind of had I thought, reading through the thread after the fact, so to speak.

Maybe not as much fun for the anger management challenged though.

Is a return to topic OK? OCD right? I stack firewood very neatly, I do not like an untidy firewood stack. When I retrieve it for burning in the wood stove, I unstack it very neatly too; if I have to, I'll rearrange bolts of firewood so the surface of the wood pile is level. If anyone else removes firewood from my neatly arranged wood pile, I know it because they're never tidy enough and I have to correct their slovenliness. I usually try to conceal my annoyance with other people's uncaring attitude toward my neatly arranged firewood....but I'm not always successful with that.

I have a couple OCD "quirks" every time I close a door, I have to make sure it's locked, by trying to open it. At home, at work, in the car(not as much as the other places for some reason)

I used to use my phone as an alarm clock, and have been for the past 4 years. I'm scared if I switch to an actual clock I won't wake up. When I switch cell phones, I have alarms set on both of them for a week. And no matter what I use, I have to check the alarm, and set multiple alarms. 8:00, 8:05, 8:10. And I check them 3 or 4 times before bed, and every time I wake up at night.

Then I count things. Always stairs. 99% of the time. Even at home. Even if I'm tired, sick, drunk, it's 3am or 3 pm. And other random things. How many steps I take from one place to another. How many roof tiles. How many of each item in a pack, how many packs in a box, and therefore how many items in each case. I can count the same thing every day.

buying the new yearly agenda is a kind of ritual, I have to pick it according to how I feel this year will be like, it has to be in perfect condition, no creases or faults of any kind, and then on the 1st of january I write on the last page what are my wishes for that year. Any derangement from this process and I buy a new agenda.

FlyAway22 said:
I used to use my phone as an alarm clock, and have been for the past 4 years. I'm scared if I switch to an actual clock I won't wake up. When I switch cell phones, I have alarms set on both of them for a week. And no matter what I use, I have to check the alarm, and set multiple alarms. 8:00, 8:05, 8:10. And I check them 3 or 4 times before bed, and every time I wake up at night.
This!!!!
I also have to make sure my phone volume is all the way up a number of times before putting it down. I'm scared to set my alarms that close because I'm afraid it might glitch the phone if I sleep though the first alarm, it might not set the second off (Hope that doesn't fresia with your head lol) So I set mine like 8:00, 8:15, 8:30 or 8:00 8:30 9:00

Also, when I go to bed I have to check that my stove and oven are off, my doors are locked. I know where my keys are. Finally, I have to go through my wallet and make sure all my cards are there. I have to do these things a number of times until I'm actually ready to sleep.

FlyAway and Dr. Strangelove, that's a couple of bad cases of OCD - especially the counting thing!
My equivalent to it is that I have to follow the outline of things with my eyes all the time... for example book shelves, window fronts on houses, etc. Always tracing, tracing, tracing them with my gaze. I don't even notice anymore.

The wallet. When I go grocery-shopping, I have to grab my wallet out of my purse several times before I leave and make sure the money is still in there. Like it actually snuck out of my wallet in the mean-time :D

And when I travel - forget it! I will literally look through my entire carry-on baggage every 5-10 minutes just making sure all the papers, passport, etc is still in there. Again and again and again, over hours. Ridiculous :D

Everything must be exactly at the same place before i sleep and i shake my pillow and blanket several times just to make sure no creepy crawler is there..its sick..i know it..

I have to tap the corners of the walls in my apartment complex's stairwell 6 times when going up and down the stairs. All the corners.
I plan, and replan what I'm going to do if the building catches fire or someone in the building will die.
I have to shower for an hour to two hours, and wash my hair six times or I'll lose the respect of the ones I love.
I can't shake hands. I can't do it. I've learned to settle for a knuckle touch, but even that makes me uncomfortable.
I use up a bar of soap on a good day, and 4 on a bad one.
I spend any "free time" I have studying or I'm wracked with guilt.
I've made myself late to work by just standing in a doorway, flicking a lightswitch or being unable to stop walking in and out of a room repeatedly

I check and recheck and recheck to make sure my coat pockets are zipped up. I don't think its technically OCD, more just making darn sure nothing falls out of my pockets, but its the closet thing to OCD ( or CDO ... As it should be haha thats a joke )

Another thing that I usually do is I read only five or six chapters at a time, I'm not sure why I do this but I do. If I read more than six chapters, I usually read until it's at a even number. Does anyone else do this? Sometimes I feel like I'm nuts cause of this, haha!

Mine's particularly logical OCD.

I isolate upstairs bathroom sink and downstairs kitchen sink as unclean and clean. Generally speaking, if I touch anything outside of the kitchen or unclean I have to 'isolate' and wash it in the 'unclean' bathroom sink first so my hands are clean for the clean kitchen sink. Which means a lot of running up and down stairs if I touch anything unclean.

Every object is mentally tracked of it's individual cleanliness (I try to separate meat contaminated objects from my own items and meals as I'm vegan and my conscience seems to flip if I don't). For example: shared washing up liquid bottle is unclean, my own personal dish brush is relatively clean (if it becomes contaminated it's immediately tossed and replaced and the new one has to go through a sterilisation process of washing up liquid and boiling hot water).

With hands I try to keep one hand at least 'clean' or 'reasonably clean'. Which hand remains clean depends on what event I predict I will need which hand for (right hand is dominant so that deals with precision and control but left hand deals with general tasks).

Pockets are generally sorted as left side for myself, right side for other people. Not to avoid contamination issues, but if I intend to give someone money, it's so I don't confuse my money with theirs (and thus I avoid feeling guilty of accidentally stealing their money by avoiding the accidental confusion in the first place).

Top pockets of shirt and/or waistcoat are 'active' slots (stuff I plan to use shortly) for easier access. Inside coat pocket left is 'protected' storage/archive (everything is muddled together so it's much harder to steal anything in particular, but it's also harder to use). Outside coat is bulk/unprotected storage.

I treat specific areas with specific invisible boundaries (so I can isolate clean/unclean sections) and any encroachment onto sections I try to keep to myself feels like a violation. I had to discontinue using a saucepan and get a new one because someone else started using it. I find violations or attempts to interfere particularly stressful because I go out of my way to avoid encroachment and I'd prefer it if people allow me the time of day to simply use the kitchen without interfering.

Had to toss an entire meal because as I was cooking my mother insisted on trying to clean tiles directly above the saucepan I was cooking the meal in, which of course resulted in the dirty bits on the tile going into my meal. It was an understatement to say I was quite unhappy.

--I count the edges of windows or doorways in a clockwise or counter-clockwise manner.
--I count the number of letters in words.
--I will drive back to the house after just leaving it, to see if the garage door is closed, even when I already confirmed the garage door was already closed after I left the driveway.

I always have to check many times that my alarm will wake me up. :p I'm too sleepy, lol.

I can only go to sleep when my hair is covering my ears (especially lying on my side). When it's brushed back and I feel the surrounding air on my ear, it creeps me out majorly.

Latest posts

Back