When just seeing someone affects your mood

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Lights said:
Speaking now, as a "normal" person without any disorders:

1) There are a number of people and places that I avoid because seeing them gives me a bad feeling. I ran into an old work bully, and I didn't sleep for a few nights because seeing her triggered negative memories.

2) I prefer not to be reminded of negative past moments (i.e. The "I'm With You" song by Avril Lavigne was playing during a rainy day while my aunt drove me and my brother to the hospital to visit our dying dad. I feel sad if I hear it or I turn it off. I might even feel an urge to cry.)

You will find that many "normal" people have similar reactions and you aren't alone. Everyone reacts differently to different degrees. A better question to ask yourself is "What can I do to address this so I can cope better?" as opposed to "What disorder do I have now?"" 
" how can I cope better"? I have some ideas. Tell me how they sound. 
1. Change my environment more often.
2. Meet and spend time with positive functional people I actually enjoy spending time with.
4. Have things I look forward to doing. 
5. Getting out every night with those people. 
6. You get the picture

Rodent said:
Restless soul said:
Right there isn't one root cause. I have avoided other places because of people. You can make an argument how serious this can be if this was a job. Would I just quit? I am not working now anyway, is it because of all these issues?
Could very well be. But all these avoidances are bbecause of a great unhappiness a sadness. A long history of lonliness that just compounded every issue I had and have. This, makes you more prone. Associating people with events and even just lonley uhappy periods in your life which is still very on going.

Does that make any sense??

I hate to say it. But i read list on ocd and magical thinking
And one of the things is someone not wearing the same clothes they wore to a funeral because it reminds them of that sad day. Similar to me. My threads. 

"Wearing same clothes thread, and this one.. there is a relationship. Is it ocd? I hope not

The question is whether you avoid specific people and places that are just too troublesome because of personal history...or as you described, staying away because seeing people in general (especially the happy type) make you sad and depressed because of your own circumstances. Unemployment or lack of any productive activity is a well-known negative contributor to your mental health. A job would force you to be among other people and perhaps make some connections, even if just with co-workers and no customers - or it would isolate you further if you end up with in a bad crew, that's always possibility. I couldn't tell you if you are even more unhappy because you don't have a job or ifr you don't have a job because you are already that unhappy.

I don't think that kind of common mental association (your funeral example) confirms any diagnosis. It's different if you actually act it out, but virtually everyone makes these kinds of associations in their minds. By that low standard, you could diagnose the entire population which can't be helpful. Not even mentioning that they also clear themselves of possible "superstitions" by voluntary exposure before they manifest compulsory behavior patterns.

A mix of all of the above . The short answer

Restless soul said:
Xpendable said:
Posting on a thread and seeing one comment from an user and be like: Ugh...

Explain

Please don't explain. If you have an issue with a current member, there's two choices: You ignore them, or you report it. Do not purposely cause issues.

VanillaCreme said:
Restless soul said:
Xpendable said:
Posting on a thread and seeing one comment from an user and be like: Ugh...

Explain

Please don't explain. If you have an issue with a current member, there's two choices: You ignore them, or you report it. Do not purposely cause issues.

Could be a harmless benign comment he made. Lets see

The list that you wrote sounds positive, maybe start small and manageable and then work up to bigger situations, that way you wont become too overwhelmed too soon... but it sounds like a good plan

ditakelly said:
The list that you wrote sounds positive, maybe start small and manageable and then work up to bigger situations, that way you wont become too overwhelmed too soon... but it sounds like a good plan

Thanks. It's sad how dependent you become on technology for those things. I.e smartphones. Always glued to it. Being a so called lonley person. It's a major addiction.

Restless soul said:
ditakelly said:

Thanks. It's sad how dependent you become on technology for those things. I.e smartphones. Always glued to it. Being a so called lonley person. It's a major addiction.

I think that your list is great.

I agree that it is best to start with small goals that lead you in the right direction.

For example, I would like to have deep fulfilling friendships. I would love to have the type of friends that are reliable, trustworthy and are like family to me. 

For me, a small goal is to regularly attend a meetup. It's quite nerve-wracking for me to meet strangers but it's a step. It may or may not lead me to deep fulfilling friendships. I would not go to a few meetups with expectations and leave with anger that I did not make a deep fulfilling friendship. It takes time and it takes meeting the right people.

The small victories count and are important too...

I was thinking about this again today since I saw someone who did just that. Why it affects my mood. But again, I am not the norm. I am a hyper-senstive not happy in life person.
But some of the reasons why I came to think the people I see affect my mood in nnegative

1. Remind how dull and mundane my life is
2. They are not my freinds don't care to be thier friends
3. I tie them into a unhappy place I spend too much time in and that is where they usually see me.

Those are new reasons. That i could think of.

4. They only know me since they know my family. That is a big one. Most people who are friends with my family i don't seem to care for

Happend twice yesterday. Saw one lady who triggers me bad. Terrible to have this like a handicap

I have an immense dislike for a fair share of the human population. Though I have no ill well toward them, it's very difficult for me to hide my contempt. So I mostly try to avoid people and stick to places where I'm a stranger who draws little attention.

bleed_the_freak said:
I have an immense dislike for a fair share of the human population. Though I have no ill well toward them, it's very difficult for me to hide my contempt. So I mostly try to avoid people and stick to places where I'm a stranger who draws little attention.

With me it has to do with particular individuals.  Individuals that I precive as mean, hhaving ill intentions. Confused me with other people  ( that is a big one ) and then from there on I find myself trying to avoid that person. And when I see them it brings back all those thoughts I just mentioned. That is why I can't wear new clothes. Iike living in perpetual fear  a straight jacket. It can't be normal. I would  llove to hear new ideas how to combat this thing

TheRealCallie said:
You let hatred and fear rule your life.  Go see a professional, get rid of the baggage.

Hi callie. Where have you been? Yes. I do let these rule.
I don't have faith in professionals. Rather try to air issues to real everyday people see if they can relate and or help.
Seems more promising

Latest posts

Back