Which should I work on?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaningIntoTheMuse

Reaction score
Okay, I'm writing some things, and I'm wondering which I should work on:

1.) The full length novel/novelette that I've been putting words in every now and then
2.) The short story collection that is every story outside of the full length novel

I've also considered doing what Stephen King has done before, with "The Mist", and including my novelette inside the short story collection, which would extend it out.

Help! I really am creative, but I really can't decide what to do here. And there is also the problem of me being busy working on coding, too busy to write either one of those.

I'm not a professional writer. Just from what I have experienced it seems writing the short stories first is better choice because the ideas of short stories are more likely to be forgotten and when it happens, considering the length of them, it's so hard to remember them again. Novels can wait. I have some plots for novels in my head too but can't write them because I'm busy. Sometimes I even think about new events that I can add to the plots.

I'd say short stories too as they will be easier to manage if you are busy and keep up momentum.

If you are aiming at eventual publication, it might be better to go for the novel. I read somewhere that it is much harder for new writers to get a collection of short stories published than it is for them to get a novel published (not that this is easy either). If you are writing purely for personal interest, then I agree with the others and would go for the short stories.

Just write!
Drift off into the world of words and they`ll take care of themselves, which form, shape and length they take.
Forget about the "which". Just write! Then pause to wonder, be your first reader and stand in rapt awe of your creation. :) (I want to be your reader too :p )

Latest posts

Back