Who likes to read?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nightwing said:
kian25 said:
I love a good scifi and am actively looking for any suggestions

Dune by Frank Herbert. (If you haven't read it already.)

I'm partial to Ray Bradbury - his novel 'The Martian Chronicles' was an absolute masterpiece in my humble opinion, a definite must-read if you haven't. Othwerwise, I don't really read much in the way of sci-fi, I was into Isaac Asimov for a while though.

Nightwing said:
ringwood said:
Well, like I said, it was an enjoyable read. I wouldn't say it was as good as some of his more popular work, but certainly worth the time to read. As Stephen King himself has said, a lot of his earlier work was written through an alcoholic and drug-induced haze - people change through the years, and an author's work will change too. His stories and novels these days just have a different feel to his earlier work, not necessarily worse but just....different. It's hard to explain! Personally, I prefer his short stories to some of his latest novels - 'Full Dark, No Stars' is his latest short story offering, I enjoyed every tale in that book, really top-notch stuff (although the first story, 1922, was incredibly harsh...even Stephen King mentions this in the prologue of that book - 'Constant Reader, you may find some of the stories in this book harsh. I found them harsh to write...")

Heh, I love the way he marks all his author notes addressing the reader as 'Constant Reader.' It's part of the charm, along with his overly opinionated snark XD

I'll look forward to reading Doctor Sleep. I'll add the short story collection to my 'to read' list... but that's as long as my arm. No! Probably more like my leg.... or maybe my entire height. I'm unsure, but it's long!

I remember reading the autobiographical part of his book "On Writing" and can recall the addictive phase of his life. I remember he's also reflected with some sadness over the fact that the majority of his fans think he did his best work twenty-five years ago. Apparently this irks him.

In reference to Triple Bogey's post... I think he's been pretty honest when he's lost his way. He admitted to "publishing absolute honeysuckle" at one point when he looks back. I think that was The Dead Zone he referenced, but I can't be sure. Got to admire the honesty! (I'm still deeply jealous that he got to write at Rudyard Kipling's desk. Talk about a giant walking in the shoes of a colossus! XD When you read these things, it can make you feel so insignificant.)

I gave up reading a few - Lisey story, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, The Regulators - so slow moving all of them. I know he makes comments saying his editor is telling him to 'hurry up' all the time - The Dome, 22/11/63 and Doctor Sleep I thought were good. Also Joyland was a nice one. He's got a new one out soon as well. I think his problem was he listened to people saying his writing wasn't up to scratch. His early works, his writing was so easy to read, very simplistic but very entertaining. I remember starting The Stand and then looking up and I was 100 pages in. I didn't look up once. I think Insomnia was the start of his 'poor era' - he started to link everything to the Dark Tower. The way he introduced himself into that was possibly the worst thing I have ever read in my life. I rate books 2 and 3 in my top 10 Stephen King books but after that .. dreadful all of it and a damp squid of an end.

ringwood said:
Nightwing said:
ringwood said:
The last book I read was Doctor Sleep by Stephen King - I enjoyed it, an interesting sequel to The Shining.

I bought that when it was on offer, haven't got round to reading it yet though. How does it measure up to his bigger hits like the Shining, Misery and the Stand? (I know there's more that people consider his big hits like Carrie... but I just picked my favs lol)

Well, like I said, it was an enjoyable read. I wouldn't say it was as good as some of his more popular work, but certainly worth the time to read. As Stephen King himself has said, a lot of his earlier work was written through an alcoholic and drug-induced haze - people change through the years, and an author's work will change too. His stories and novels these days just have a different feel to his earlier work, not necessarily worse but just....different. It's hard to explain! Personally, I prefer his short stories to some of his latest novels - 'Full Dark, No Stars' is his latest short story offering, I enjoyed every tale in that book, really top-notch stuff (although the first story, 1922, was incredibly harsh...even Stephen King mentions this in the prologue of that book - 'Constant Reader, you may find some of the stories in this book harsh. I found them harsh to write...")

Not read the 'Full dark, no stars' book - I do like his short stories and novella's though. The Mist was ace. Shawshank, The Body, the one about smoking ? Does anybody remember that one ? I lent that book to somebody and never got it back ! - The Langolears (spelling) was fantastic !

Triple Bogey said:
I gave up reading a few - Lisey story, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, The Regulators - so slow moving all of them. I know he makes comments saying his editor is telling him to 'hurry up' all the time - The Dome, 22/11/63 and Doctor Sleep I thought were good. Also Joyland was a nice one. He's got a new one out soon as well. I think his problem was he listened to people saying his writing wasn't up to scratch. His early works, his writing was so easy to read, very simplistic but very entertaining. I remember starting The Stand and then looking up and I was 100 pages in. I didn't look up once. I think Insomnia was the start of his 'poor era' - he started to link everything to the Dark Tower. The way he introduced himself into that was possibly the worst thing I have ever read in my life. I rate books 2 and 3 in my top 10 Stephen King books but after that .. dreadful all of it and a damp squid of an end.

I thought Joyland was ok... but they'd marketed it as a crime book. It really isn't so I'd that's my main gripe. As a sort of coming-of-age YA book... I'd say that's spot on. I've never read Insomnia before... what was so poor about that?

You've read a lot of Stephen King. Who are your other favourite authors?

(As a sidenote, I believe the phrase is damp squib.)

I like to read, but not by myself. Unfortunately, I can't find somebody to read with me.

Nightwing said:
Triple Bogey said:

I thought Joyland was ok... but they'd marketed it as a crime book. It really isn't so I'd that's my main gripe. As a sort of coming-of-age YA book... I'd say that's spot on. I've never read Insomnia before... what was so poor about that?

You've read a lot of Stephen King. Who are your other favourite authors?

(As a sidenote, I believe the phrase is damp squib.)

Insomnia was a boring, long book that wasn't very interesting.

Other authors I like ? Lee Child, Wilbur Smith, Shaun Hutson, David Mitchell

Yes damp squib, my spelling is shocking.

Joyland I enjoyed enough so I finished it. There was a time when I stopped reading his books all together. I used to get the hard backs on the day it came out when he was at his peak. The Tommyknockers was amazing !, Dark Half, Needfull Things, Hearts in Atlantis - I liked all those !

There are only a few I haven't read, maybe 3 or 4.

Triple Bogey said:
Not read the 'Full dark, no stars' book - I do like his short stories and novella's though. The Mist was ace. Shawshank, The Body, the one about smoking ? Does anybody remember that one ? I lent that book to somebody and never got it back ! - The Langolears (spelling) was fantastic !

The one about smoking - 'Quitters Inc.' from the story story collection Night Shift. That was actually part of the movie, Cat's Eye, featuring adaptations of some of King's stories.

The Mist, The Shawshank Redemption, The Body, Crouch End (from Nightmares and Dreamscapes), The Raft, The Man in the Black Suit - some of my fav stories off the top of my head. I agree with all your choices, Triple Bogey. :)

I own pretty much everything Stephen King has ever written. Having said that, The Dark Tower series is the only series that I simply can not get into, no matter how many times I try. I've heard that from lots of King fans - you either love that series or hate it, there's no in between. Also, his new book comes out in November - Revival, it's called. More info here: http://www.stephenking.com/news_archive/article430.html

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:

The one about smoking - 'Quitters Inc.' from the story story collection Night Shift. That was actually part of the movie, Cat's Eye, featuring adaptations of some of King's stories.

The Mist, The Shawshank Redemption, The Body, Crouch End (from Nightmares and Dreamscapes), The Raft, The Man in the Black Suit - some of my fav stories off the top of my head. I agree with all your choices, Triple Bogey. :)

I own pretty much everything Stephen King has ever written. Having said that, The Dark Tower series is the only series that I simply can not get into, no matter how many times I try. I've heard that from lots of King fans - you either love that series or hate it, there's no in between. Also, his new book comes out in November - Revival, it's called. More info here: http://www.stephenking.com/news_archive/article430.html

I loved Dark Tower 2 and 3 (the first was okay to set it up) - I wondered where it was all going. The 4th one was horrible and I gave it up after months of trying to get into it. The 5th was possibly his worst ever book and the 6th was just as bad. I read the last one more out of loyalty and it was okay. The end was rubbish though.

We haven't mentioned 'Green Mile' have we ?
They brought it out every month in small chapters. I loved that. The film was okay too !

Looks like he's been hard at work - there is this new book as well http://www.stephenking.com/promo/mr_mercedes/
So he has 2 coming out this year !

Green mile was good.

Other authors I like are Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, R.D. Wingfield and Jeffery Deaver. Anybody else like any of them?

Nightwing said:
Dune by Frank Herbert. (If you haven't read it already.)

God Emperor of Dune is my favorite of Herbert's Dune series.

By any chance, have you read any of Herbert's other work? One of my favorite novels of his is The White Plague. Really interesting stuff.

Nightwing said:
Green mile was good.

Other authors I like are Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, R.D. Wingfield and Jeffery Deaver. Anybody else like any of them?

Big fan of Ian Rankin and only found 1 book of RD Wingfield but I watched the series faithfully

Grackle said:
Nightwing said:
Green mile was good.

Big fan of Ian Rankin and only found 1 book of RD Wingfield but I watched the series faithfully

Yeah, Rankin's written some lovely stuff. I'm not entirely convinced bringing Rebus back was for the best though... it seems much weaker than the previous Rebus stuff. Not to mention the fact that Malcolm Fox was going well before he decided to add him needlessly to Standing in Another Man's Grave.

I'm assuming when referring to Wingfield, you're talking about Frost? I ask because Wingfield wrote predominantly for screen and radio... he made many a series that he wrote himself. David Jason as Frost, I enjoyed. I've watched them all. But Frost on the telly is a totally different character to Frost in the books. Frost in the books is my favourite character of all time. He's just gloriously incompetent! A total master of bumbling around, making dirty jokes and leering at any young lady he comes across. Something of a dirty old man... but it's still really funny the lengths he'll go to in order to try and get out of doing work or forging his expenses or stealing Mullet's smokes etc. If you haven't had chance to read those books... you'll be able to find second hand copies on amazon for like 1p each (add postage of £1.85 or similar to each one.) Wingfield only wrote 6 or 7 Frost novels as I recall. There's some other guy called James something or other who's cashing in on the popularity of the character now, but his writing is poor and the character he's writing about ISN'T Frost. So I wouldn't bother with those.

Oh and in answer to BJD, I've read Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Those were much loved novels in my teens. (I was a strange child. I read the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was 8. Then you'd catch me reading and understanding the Dune series when I was 12. I don't think I read much in the way of childrens books. I suppose the Redwall series would count... that's about it though.)

I love to read, pretty much anything that's well written.

Crime wise I really like Karin Slaughter, and for historical crime C.S. Harris. If the story feels plausible and I haven't figured out whodunnit by page 30 then I'm in for the long haul.

I've been a Game of Thrones fan since the beginning, though I'm starting to lose patience with the throwaway characters tossed in just to be killed hopelessly. Favourite fantasy series is Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion trilogy. Waiting impatiently for Scott Lynch's third Gentleman ******* book.

I read everything of Stephen King's up to The Tommyknockers (so bad it stunk up the house) and bits and pieces after that -- Cell, Under The Dome, Black House. I second the Long Walk recommendation.

I read non-fiction too. Popular science mostly, especially biology, astronomy and psychology.

StormChild said:
I've been a Game of Thrones fan since the beginning, though I'm starting to lose patience with the throwaway characters tossed in just to be killed hopelessly. Favourite fantasy series is Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion trilogy. Waiting impatiently for Scott Lynch's third Gentleman ******* book.

try Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards. You may like it.

I love to read.

I started on a reading kick just here lately because I just got a Kindle.

I read Fantasy, Apocalyptic, Post-Apocalyptic, Thriller, Psychological, and Science Fiction

StormChild said:
Drama said:
try Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards. You may like it.

Thanks, I had a look on Goodreads and it definitely seems like my kind of story.

you have a goodreads account? that's awesome. It would be easier to exchange recommendations via GR. If you are interested just drop me a PM.

Nightwing said:
Oh and in answer to BJD, I've read Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Those were much loved novels in my teens. (I was a strange child. I read the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was 8. Then you'd catch me reading and understanding the Dune series when I was 12. I don't think I read much in the way of childrens books. I suppose the Redwall series would count... that's about it though.)

MMMm well I'd suggest you try God Emperor of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune. They're excellent, in my humble opinion. :D

I didn't particularly enjoy any of the other Dune novels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. They may have completed Frank Herbert's series, but... they just lack the talent, execution, and insight he had. Kinda sucks, but there it is.

Badjedidude said:
Nightwing said:

MMMm well I'd suggest you try God Emperor of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune. They're excellent, in my humble opinion. :D

I didn't particularly enjoy any of the other Dune novels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. They may have completed Frank Herbert's series, but... they just lack the talent, execution, and insight he had. Kinda sucks, but there it is.

I tried reading the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson ones... and just couldn't. As you said... they lack the talent and execution.

I found similar with the Frost series by R.D. Wingfield. It was exceptional stuff, absolutely loved the character. Unfortunately, after Wingfield passed away, the series has been taken up by someone called James Harvey (I think?) and it's just terrible. His writing style is a shadow of Wingfield's and worst of all, he's got the main character wrong. Basically bastardising my favourite character. One of the worst things you can experience if you ask me. *sigh*
[/rant]

Latest posts

Back