Why Do Some Members Of All Kinds Of Different Forums Never Start Their Own Threads?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.:)

With my limited knowledge of past forums I've noticed that there are several members who don't start their own new threads. Ever. Replies yes. I'm just wondering why this is. Are they afraid of their thread idea being made fun of? Just have no ideas in mind maybe? Enjoy reading and replying more?

Maybe they just don't want to. Oh wait, I'm one of those people, yeah, I don't want to, there's enough threads around that people can usually find what they want and just reply to it instead of creating a whole other thread talking about the same thing.

Maybe some are older members who have already talked through a lot of stuff? I haven't been here that long and I already start a lot less than I used to.

While I often have a lot to say, thread OPs tend to take me quite a bit of time to initiate; most of my OPs have always been small essays exploring the topic. To do otherwise wouldn't quite be justice for me.

I feel I don't have all that much monumental, deep, wise or even entertaining things to share that would incline me to start a thread of my own. Most threads I ever made have been asking for tech or modding help.

I don't like to start things on whim, and would like to devote some time and thought to create discussion, if I were so inclined.

Topics aren't easy to make. I co-admin my family's forum and it is increasingly difficult to think up an original topic without duplicating it, or pinching one from another site.

Some are put off by the number of "Views" as shown compared to the number of "Replies". That doesn't affect me personally, but it does bother some.

I've started a few, but I feel as though I've done too many. Personally, I'm always wondering why some people post so many new threads.

Indeed, LK, to be fair, it is typical of most forum regulars /not/ to regularly start new posts unless there is good reason. Opening posts are expected not to be as much as 'hey you' but something that is somehow either insightful, thought-provoking, especially amusing, controversial, confessional or otherwise somehow significant.

There is a reason why you came off as strange with all your thread opens.

LOL

I like to think through a topic before I make one, sometimes the whole idea gets scrapped or I forget. Depends on mood too. One site I'm a mod on I'm actually responsible for helping to generate discussion, which is really hard to do sometimes (which I've been lacking on lately...my bad). A site I own I don't initiate discussion, it's kind of difficult since it's built around a game that was cancelled many years ago. Never been much of a thread starting whore, I like to leave that up to more creative people.

I never start my own threads unless I have a specific technical question because I'll feel obligated to stick around and read the responses. On serious forums a thoughtful or controversial thread can go on indefinitely with intense debate. I like to stay under the radar on forums. Lots of people start threads asking for personal advice, but my personal problems that I'd like advice on are just too personal and serious to post in a forum where I've revealed bits of my identity.

Mouse said:
Topics aren't easy to make. I co-admin my family's forum and it is increasingly difficult to think up an original topic without duplicating it, or pinching one from another site.

Some are put off by the number of "Views" as shown compared to the number of "Replies". That doesn't affect me personally, but it does bother some.
I watch a lot of television. Sometimes, I'll be watching a movie or something and then bamm!! a topic comes to mind. It's the same thing with games. Sometimes when I'm gaming, my brain starts producing topics. I think about them first and if I think that the other members might find it interesting I'll post it

I think a lot of people don't start new threads for fear of embarrassment,
or are afraid that it might be a huge "Fail". What if nobody replies? Things like that.:)

LoneKiller said:
I watch a lot of television. Sometimes, I'll be watching a movie or something and then bamm!! a topic comes to mind. It's the same thing with games. Sometimes when I'm gaming, my brain starts producing topics. I think about them first and if I think that the other members might find it interesting I'll post it

or are afraid that it might be a huge "Fail". What if nobody replies? Things like that.:)

I guess it feels like increasing the noise to signal ratio for me. Its not that we don't think of things, its more that we exercise greater restraint on contributing what we feel is more valuable. There /is/ a reason why the number of threads you create has always struck me as off-setting.

IgnoredOne said:
LoneKiller said:

I guess it feels like increasing the noise to signal ratio for me. Its not that we don't think of things, its more that we exercise greater restraint on contributing what we feel is more valuable. There /is/ a reason why the number of threads you create has always struck me as off-setting.
Hi Ignored.:) You make some very good points in your reply. Thank you.

It's not always about "is it interesting." Sometimes one should put a little more thought into "is it even ******* relevant."

Mouse said:

Going off topic but I’m curious, what do you mean by your family’s forum? Like an online discussion board that you all use to communicate? That actually sounds like a good idea if you have a large family spread out all over the place or do you mean something else?

Latest posts

Back