Why do you go to work?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Literally to get money and talk to people. Money being the main goal... It's always good to have something to work towards and having even a little money to save for something makes the days a little easier. Work colleagues are both good and bad its good to have people to talk and even laugh with and on the other side you've got some people dangerously close to being stereotypes you dont get on with or have to put on a face when talking.

Rosebolt said:
To start of, i hope i am not going to sound arrogant in this response, this is not my intention.

I can relate very much to what you're saying. I've felt like that for most of my life.

But i got out of it. Because i found out who i want to be, and all i do, works towards that. Every second of every single day.

I don't think i am particularly smart, or, 'capable'. What i do know is what i want, and that for me, it's either that, or death. And death is not that appealing to me anymore. For example, i just got a new job. I'm now cleaning at a four star hotel. Repetitive, high pressure, and it's hard work. But i love it. Because i am working towards something, and i know that what i do learn here, everything i learn there, is something i can use to achieve that goal i have. And i'm paid more than at my previous job.

love the attitude, I must say

I go to work so I can afford to live my simple life, be a part of something, & I enjoy helping others at times too

Work is mostly about money. This is what makes the world we live in function, unfortunately. If nobody worked, the world would be an entirely different place.. But I think that there would be people out there who would DO things to better their lives and make their way of living easier rather than working in a system of currency, greed and corruption.

But since we don't live in such a world you have to try and make the best of a crummy situation, you go work to better yourself, your life and maybe lead a worth while career. In this age (especially the younger generation) work is fueled by materialistic society, though mostly people get stuck with commitments like kids, family or debt.

Man my posts suck...

9006 said:
Work is mostly about money. This is what makes the world we live in function, unfortunately. If nobody worked, the world would be an entirely different place.. But I think that there would be people out there who would DO things to better their lives and make their way of living easier rather than working in a system of currency, greed and corruption.

But since we don't live in such a world you have to try and make the best of a crummy situation, you go work to better yourself, your life and maybe lead a worth while career. In this age (especially the younger generation) work is fueled by materialistic society, though mostly people get stuck with commitments like kids, family or debt.

Man my posts suck...

no they don't!

I guess it's pretty unanimous... Main reason to work is for money... That does bring up another interesting question... Would you be willing to take less money to do what you love or do what you hate to make more money?

sk66rc said:
I guess it's pretty unanimous... Main reason to work is for money... That does bring up another interesting question... Would you be willing to take less money to do what you love or do what you hate to make more money?

If I could do what I love and still be able to pay my bills and give my kids what they need, I would do that. If not, I would have to continue doing what I hate.
Although, I don't really mind my job. I quite enjoy it most of the time.
Money is not really a major concern of mine. I'm not at all materialistic. I only buy myself anything if I absolutely NEED it. My kids are a different story, but I don't buy them all that much that they don't need.

I hate money but I gotta say that's mainly why I work. To get money, so I can support myself and my mother.

I am quitting my job though, but that's another story altogether.

I'm looking for work after I quit this one, because again, I need money to do what I want to do. Move out, move away and start a new life. I hate money, it causes a lot of problems for me. Unfortunately it's much needed for me to survive in this world.

I really like money and would love to have more of it. That doesn't mean I'm a money grubbing miser, it means I value the good it can bring me and others. I work because of money and because when I don't work my self esteem bottoms out and ontop of feeling worthless I also feel hungry and desperate. Thats even worse then feeling lonely and broken. imo

Money. I hate everyone I work with and though I might start a job with a lot of wishes of doing some good.. typically..i just get disillusioned.

LonelySutton said:
Money. I hate everyone I work with .......

Me too. 37.5 hours a week spent with people I don't like and who do not like me. How did my life end up like this?

Grackle said:
How did my life end up like this?

I know.. seriously. I did everything right and sometimes I feel like Prison wouldn't be as bad as work. I continue to try to get out of work via investments but a life time of work will likely not really even get me close to that.

Grackle said:
LonelySutton said:

Me too. 37.5 hours a week spent with people I don't like and who do not like me. How did my life end up like this?

I've been there....it's a nice change to have something I really enjoy and people who (for the most part anyway) are fun to work with.

Grackle said:
LonelySutton said:

I had to laugh at this, because that's part of my job description. Actually, I like the work I do, but geez, I work with some of the most egotistical ******** who think they are so smart. God forbid if I catch a dimensional problem with the parts they made...it's never their fault, it's the lathe, mill, or the guy who setup the job prior to their shift, yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, the bills have to be paid and I have too many hobbies to take care of.

Thanks to LonelySutton and beautiful loser, I some how feel better about my circumstance. If others have found themselves in the same situation then hey ! maybe its something that 'just happens' and I can relax a bit on trying to figure out what I should do to change.

Grackle, it has happened to a lot of people I know...things don't go your way and you end up working in a place you don't care for. As I stated, I like the work I do and I got a late start in it (been doing this for about three years now) so I still have quite a bit to learn, especially if the company purchases the advanced equipment they have been wanting. I'm going to learn what I can and then try to move on to a better company. Plus, the fact I have to drive 23 miles to work, is really getting old. If you ever want to vent, you can always PM me. Have a good one.

I go 28K which is less then your distance but its still almost to far considering the price of gas.
Thanks for the offer, appreciate that.

Latest posts

Back