Why is everybody angry?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have long thought it is because society is falling apart. Things that used to be something you could rely on are replaced with people swindling and worse just too dull to know what they are doing. There is almost nothing that works right and less and less money to avoid mistakes. At least 10 times per day there is something that should go right and doesn't.

I do think society is angrier than usual lately. If you don't see it you aren't out enough.

I truly feel like in thee 50s-80s there was this idea that you should be helpful...and try to do good and that message was sent out in tv and movies... then in the 90s it became super cool for you to be sneaky or put your foot down or some such and then it all went to heck. People are no longer attempting to help their fellow man, they are out for themselves (it could be the baby boomer "me generation" generation) but instead of going the extra mile people are like "well that is all I can do for you" but everyone knows that it isn't so they get angry.

I believe people are more angry now than before is probably because people aren't getting what they want while expecting to get what they want. "Freedom" has never been so expected as they are now.

40 years ago I would assume the majority of the population were more easily "content" with what they have. Today, no one is ever satisfied. What's the next thing I want? What's the next best thing? If I get the best I will be happy. Oh, I'm not getting it but I deserve it because it's my right and nothing should stop me - now I'm frustrated so I'm going to take that anger out on random people.

This is a generation of instant gratification, if we aren't gratified in 10 seconds, we get impatient/frustrated - anger.

Rainbows said:
I am angry because I have chronic diarrhea! :mad:

I've never heard of that. :(

I'm angry because I don't have the courage to act on the things I want to do.

i think people are angry because it is the one emotion we have as human beings that is discouraged and that we are not only encouraged to but forced to control.

The messages we get about anger include

if you let anger out you are crazy
if you feel angry you arent spiritual
if you have anger it only hurts yourself
anger gets you nowhere
anger is a sign of emotional immaturity
anger is a sign of depression
expressing anger is scarey
anger leads to violence
anger is illegal and if you let it rip you will be arrested
dont get angry or they will blame you

Years and years of "anger is a taboo" is what has caused people to repress their anger for so long and now everybody is starting to rip at the seams. if you watch the old black and white drama flicks, the men are yelling the woman are yelling, people are slamming things, they are stomping. Back then anger was expressed. Now society all walks around like thug psychopaths with eyes glazed over and seething anger so deep inside hidden the mouth says " i dont ******* care " when the truth is they envision going off with a machine gun... and some of them eventually do.

*speaking in inner voice* Now is the perfect time. I have a limit but it's not boundless so don't test it again and again cause You know what I become when I break lose.

Great! Now I sound like real maniac driven by hatred and rage but wait I am one Or was I?

stork_error said:
Years and years of "anger is a taboo" is what has caused people to repress their anger for so long and now everybody is starting to rip at the seams. if you watch the old black and white drama flicks, the men are yelling the woman are yelling, people are slamming things, they are stomping. Back then anger was expressed. Now society all walks around like thug psychopaths with eyes glazed over and seething anger so deep inside hidden the mouth says " i dont ******* care " when the truth is they envision going off with a machine gun... and some of them eventually do.
That isn't even slightly true. There is no difference between the anger now and back at anytime in the past. Anger is anger.
Furthermore, it's no more socially repressed today than it ever was in the past. If anything it may be argued that in the past it was more repressed because of traditions and how everyone was not just expected to uphold social conventions but legally obligated to do so in many places and in many ways. You can find this is historically true and accurate, as opposed to what you currently believe.

I have no idea what gave you this idea that the past was somehow different in terms of anger or repressing it. Even looking at the media you see TONS of violence in the media today, especially in movies, probably much more than there ever has been in the past. Just look at how many movies are about or contain guns, violence, destruction, cursing, or etc.
It's not just people yelling or stomping their feet, but actual violence. I'm not sure where you've been looking if you haven't seen these. They are literally everywhere in the industry.

There is truth that suppressing anger is unhealthy, but the reason that people say anger should be controlled is because it should be - in a healthy way.
Healthy ways to control anger are to look positively on life, to find ways to vent your emotions into productive things like hobbies, work, or etc. There are plenty of healthy ways to control anger and channel it so that it isn't destructive.

Anger is a destructive emotion, that is why it should be controlled. Without control anger is nothing more than destruction itself - both self-destruction and external destruction.
Repressed or not, anger is very dangerous, so it must be carefully controlled and properly vented, like steam. There are many beneficial uses for things like steam, but steam can also be a very dangerous thing if not properly controlled, too.

Road rage is worsening. Outside I saw a rear end shunt, the Skoda driver behind obviously not watching the road ahead, went straight up the arse of an expensive Mercedes in front. Now two angry men are screaming apeshit at each other. Gf and I went out with my mug of tea to watch them. Saturday's morning telly by comparison was dull after what I listened to. ;)

Anger fuels movement. It's easier to admit that I am angry, than it is for me to admit sadness.

I don't get angry. I can think of one time in my adult life that I was truly angry, and to be honest I scared myself. I have a bad history with anger from childhood and it's something I actively avoid in myself and others.

I do get cranky, grumpy, impatient, and a whole host of emotions further down the chain for anger.

Another thing, I feel like in some ways society is setting us up to fight with each other. Like everything is just slacked off enough to get buy but with a lot of hassle. Streets and highways are constructed just enough so everyone is in a 2 hour traffic jam and there is no effort to fix things. Go to the DMV and you will have to wait in a long line. Get on public transportation and you will probably be pushed prodded and not be able to sit. Call a customer service line and get a 1 hour late. Just enough to keep people angry and they wonder why people are angry. Just attempt to go to an ER. HA

My anger run is going dry for last few days. I wonder If something is wrong in my head again, hmm. Or someone is really affecting my "personality"?

I get angry whenever I feel powerless. I am trying to be more mindful of this to prevent it before it happens and before I escalate an issue and make it worse than it was to begin with.

TheSkaFish said:
I get angry whenever I feel powerless. I am trying to be more mindful of this to prevent it before it happens and before I escalate an issue and make it worse than it was to begin with.

Heey,

It's nice to see you on here again. I want to tell you i'm really happy you seem to be doing better. I'm kind of proud of you to be honest. Even if you aren't really doing better, you certainly seem to be trying. Not sure if you read my obsession thread, but i know how very tough it is to get out of there.

I know none of it was thanks to me, unreliable as i am (to say the least), but you somehow did it.

Go you!

Rosebolt said:
Heey,

It's nice to see you on here again. I want to tell you i'm really happy you seem to be doing better. I'm kind of proud of you to be honest. Even if you aren't really doing better, you certainly seem to be trying. Not sure if you read my obsession thread, but i know how very tough it is to get out of there.

I know none of it was thanks to me, unreliable as i am (to say the least), but you somehow did it.

Go you!

Hi there. Thanks for saying it's nice to see me again, I appreciate it. I really was thinking of leaving for a couple times last year but decided to stay. As far as doing better, eh....well, I am trying. Whether or not I am actually doing better, to be honest I'm somewhere in between doing better and still doing badly. Sometimes I sort of force myself to feel better because if I don't, I'll just sit here in my chair feeling sad or angry and nothing will get done, and I can't really afford that. Getting nothing done was probably one of the main culprits for my problems in the first place. And there are more personal reasons why some days I try a little harder to feel better too, which I would share but maybe I will in my own thread sometime.

I have seen your obsession thread, but I only had time to give it a glance and wanted to give it a proper read before I commented on it. I have a lot to catch up on, here, my main email address, and other places. Anyway, I'll catch up little by little. Good talking to you again.

Latest posts

Back