Wireless

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
I've wanted a I Pad for awhile, they look good and convenient to use.
But I am still on cable so first I needed a wireless router first. I've resisted buying one for a couple of years because of two reasons. Firstly I knew when I bought a wireless router, it would a pig to get to work. Everything I buy doesn't work. Over the years, it takes days / weeks for anything to start to work. Phone calls, stress etc. The second reason is my Dad is a *mod edit: That word - in any form - isn't allowed* when it comes to anything happening that doesn't involve him watching the tv or calling fresia out of somebody. So I knew it would be a pain in the arse getting one. So while everybody at work talked about their I Pad or tablets or whatever, I always felt I was getting left behind.

So this week I buy a wireless router. Not expensive. Thought I would give it a go. Took it home, Didn't work. Got some orange flashing light instead of blue. I read the instructions which were as normal written by some absolute twat. Did some research on the internet. Still didn't work. Over the last few days I have fiddled about without success. I finally gave up. Went back to my normal modem and that didn't work. So I had to ring the help line and because the phone line is in my Dad's name, he had to answer some security questions. So he had to mute the ******* TV for 10 seconds and answer this guys questions.

Once that was over, it was pretty simple getting back on the internet. Once it got working my Dad said if I ever get a wireless router again he would cancel the phone line. He gave me some honeysuckle, a right mouthful. I shouldn't have bought something I didn't know a great deal about. I should have been happy with what I had. Why did I want anything else ?

I never said anything. I went upstairs, got the wireless router, took it into the back yard and took a hammer to it. Smashed the ******* to pieces !

So yeah all great !

SophiaGrace said:
So once you got it working you smashed it? I'm confused.

No I went back to my original modem (the cable one). I smashed the wireless one, couldn't get it working so there was no point keeping it. Only cost £30 so I'm not bothered about that. Can't get an I Pad now though which is a shame.

Bahahahaha! That's one of the funniest things you've said on here, hahaha. I can just imagine you out in your backyard, smashing the hell out of that poor router, big satisifed smile on your face....;)

Electronics tend to bring out that kind of rage in me too. But can't your Internet provider just install a wireless modem instead of cable? You don't need to do it.

P.S - your Dad sounds like an ass, sorry he's so grumpy with you. :(

ringwood said:
Bahahahaha! That's one of the funniest things you've said on here, hahaha. I can just imagine you out in your backyard, smashing the hell out of that poor router, big satisifed smile on your face....;)

Electronics tend to bring out that kind of rage in me too. But can't your Internet provider just install a wireless modem instead of cable? You don't need to do it.

P.S - your Dad sounds like an ass, sorry he's so grumpy with you. :(

Glad you enjoyed it, I did write it tongue in cheek :)
My dad is just stuck in his ways and he can't handle anything going wrong. When I got a new computer 3 years ago, it was a pig getting it to work and trouble was he kept sticking his oar in suggesting things and in reality he didn't have a clue what he was talking about. We nearly came to blows ! :)

Things that didn't work - Our new big screen TV, x box, blu ray, my new pc, broadband ! Jesus that was hell !
Thing is the back of our TV has about 60 cables going all over the shop, no idea what goes where etc. But it works and I don't want to mess it up. I resisted getting a wireless because I knew what would happen. It wouldn't work and my current modem would stop working ! And it did !

My internet provide would probably charge a lot of money to install a wireless router.
And another thing! on the box it said 'easy to set up' ! Bollocks !

Triple Bogey said:
jd7 said:
I once shot a Nook.

what's a nook ?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...Q18-online-VQ19-265180-VQ20-18283950120-VQ21-

265180_scene7

I think you can get sim card deals for using in ipads/tablets and theh would set it up wihout charging extra in the shop? Then your Dsd has nothing to do with it.

I hate setting up electronics hardware but since there's no getting around it these days and I'm the only adult in the house, I have to force myself to do it. I decided to cut off my satellite for TV this month because it's way too expensive and instead just go with Netflix and other streaming video providers. I bought a set-top box for streaming video a few weeks ago and it took me almost an hour to get it up and going, even though the instructions were very easy.
Now I'm getting an indoor antenna to watch free over-the-air TV channels on an old TV in the bedroom and ordered that a few days ago. Have set aside a block of time on Sunday afternoon for setting up that! Wish me luck!

I took the liberty of checking the web for internet service providers in your city, Triple Bogey. Is it Kingston Communications? Anyway, apparently you can get a broadband package that includes a free wireless router and tech support. I've never set up a router myself (thank god, or I probably wouldn't have one either lol). My provider always comes to my home to set it up. I'm moving shortly and will have them come out again to make sure I'm up and running. I believe they charge a nominal fee like $50 or something to come. Worth it though. You can also run an iPad on the 3g or 4g networks also used for cell phones but usually you have to pay an access fee, which I believe is about $10 a month with the cell phone provider I use.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
I hate setting up electronics hardware but since there's no getting around it these days and I'm the only adult in the house, I have to force myself to do it. I decided to cut off my satellite for TV this month because it's way too expensive and instead just go with Netflix and other streaming video providers. I bought a set-top box for streaming video a few weeks ago and it took me almost an hour to get it up and going, even though the instructions were very easy.
Now I'm getting an indoor antenna to watch free over-the-air TV channels on an old TV in the bedroom and ordered that a few days ago. Have set aside a block of time on Sunday afternoon for setting up that! Wish me luck!

I took the liberty of checking the web for internet service providers in your city, Triple Bogey. Is it Kingston Communications? Anyway, apparently you can get a broadband package that includes a free wireless router and tech support. I've never set up a router myself (thank god, or I probably wouldn't have one either lol). My provider always comes to my home to set it up. I'm moving shortly and will have them come out again to make sure I'm up and running. I believe they charge a nominal fee like $50 or something to come. Worth it though. You can also run an iPad on the 3g or 4g networks also used for cell phones but usually you have to pay an access fee, which I believe is about $10 a month with the cell phone provider I use.

-Teresa

Hi Teresa.

Yes we have Kingston Communications. We don't have BT lines in our city so we are unique. Nowhere else is like that in England.

Yes they do wireless routers packages but I think they don't like sending engineers down so they charge quite a bit. £70 last time I looked. I maybe should have done that instead of going to buy a random one in a shop. Some I PAD's run on blu tooth technology. Not sure how fast or reliable they are though.

I will give a few months and look into it again.

I have to say that troubleshooting can be a pain, but once you figure out something once, it's usually simple enough to fix after the fact.

Latest posts

Back