Would you date someone you don't think you're going to marry?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Essentially, if you find out they are not marriage material, you should stop seeing them. It is dishonest to keep on dating them.

Can't we go with "to each his own"? There are no set ways of living life in this world, just as each of us have different beliefs and cultures, same goes for this topic in particular. There are people who do not believe in marriage for whatever reason they may have, and if they date someone who feels the same way, then what's the problem?
emoticon-0112-wondering.gif
I don't see any.

Nobody set this rule in stone that marriage is a must to indicate commitment, care and love towards one another.

This whole discussion is just going to go round in circles as far as I see it.

rdor said:
Well I guess long term de-facto relationships exist. It still begs the question... why not just marry them?

When I hear people say “I really care for [person], but I don’t want marriage”
...the truth seems more like “I’m not sure about them and I’d like to keep my options open”.

Besides the OP is talking about a situation where they’re not living together and don’t ever intend to be.

What's formal to you isn't to everyone else. Marriage is not really "formal" either. You're talking as if marriages never fail. You're talking as if when someone does get married, then that means commitment. Married people cheat and lie too. It's not "keeping your options open" if someone doesn't marry their partner. And personally, I have an issue with that. My options are not open. I'm with someone. I have no intentions of seeing anyone else.

If someone doesn't intend on living with the person they're with, then that's up to them. It's not up to you to decide what other people want in their relationships or life. Concentrate on your own.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Essentially, if you find out they are not marriage material, you should stop seeing them. It is dishonest to keep on dating them.

If you care about getting married, I agree with this. Unless there's a resolution within that relationship that the people agree with, then it shouldn't keep going if one or both are dissatisfied.

ladyforsaken said:
Can't we go with "to each his own"? There are no set ways of living life in this world, just as each of us have different beliefs and cultures, same goes for this topic in particular. There are people who do not believe in marriage for whatever reason they may have, and if they date someone who feels the same way, then what's the problem?
emoticon-0112-wondering.gif
I don't see any.

Nobody set this rule in stone that marriage is a must to indicate commitment, care and love towards one another.

Exactly.

[/quote]

Exactly.
[/quote]

That's what I thought when I mentioned giving everybody DRUG TESTS... They are freaking high on something !!

You'll never catch me because I was born on drugs! I don't need no hallucinogens! :p

Not necessarily. Pauley Perette from NCIS, who plays Abby, did that. And so have a lot of other celebrities.

It's a moral rights and humans rights issue.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Not necessarily. Pauley Perette from NCIS, who plays Abby, did that. And so have a lot of other celebrities.

What I mean is...

You say that you can't seem to find a gf, etc.
What if you did and she wanted to MARRY you? Would you really tell her NO because gay marriage isn't legal everywhere?

EveWasFramed said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

What I mean is...

You say that you can't seem to find a gf, etc.
What if you did and she wanted to MARRY you? Would you really tell her NO because gay marriage isn't legal everywhere?

Alienated said:
Or are you looking for another guy, but what's the use if it's still illegal ?

No to the second one. I'm not gay.

But in answer to Eve's thing, I am a strong advocate for gay and lesbian and trangendered rights, and I feel it is disgusting that they can't be legally married. It is a human rights issue, and something that tears at my soul, not something tied to my sexuality. I have gay friends and relatives, and I feel it is something that I strongly care about.

If I met someone who didn't feel the same way about gay rights, well, then there's something to rule her out on. I would never marry a bigot. And of course, she could change my mind about getting married, especially if I loved her enough.

I would prefer not to because I don't want to develop an emotional ties if I'm sure I won't be ever marrying that woman.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
But in answer to Eve's thing, I am a strong advocate for gay and lesbian and trangendered rights, and I feel it is disgusting that they can't be legally married. It is a human rights issue, and something that tears at my soul, not something tied to my sexuality. I have gay friends and relatives, and I feel it is something that I strongly care about.

I don't have problem with gay marriage, but strictly speaking the ability to get married isn't a right.

rdor said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

I don't have problem with gay marriage, but strictly speaking the ability to get married isn't a right.

It is when it is denied.

You don't see people running out there, advocating for straights to get married, right? So it's not equal. One is reality, the other is bigotry.

Equality of access to an institution isn't a human rights issue if access isn't a human right to begin with.

If society wished to continue restricting marriage to heterosexual couples nobody's human rights would be denied, particularly when a legal equivalent for Gay and Lesbian couples exists (civil unions)

As I said, I'm fine with them getting married, but that argument is little more than an attempt to emotionally blackmail people into support.

So is marriage among anybody, straight or gay, a basic human right? And if so, can we equally deny marriage to straight people, as they want to do towards gay people?

If marriage were restricted to right-handed people for example, it would be grossly unfair, but not a denial of basic human rights (IMO)
If someone can make a case for marriage as a human right, go ahead...

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

God bless the celebrities, where would be without them to guide us?

;)

Latest posts

Back