Would you date someone you don't think you're going to marry?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lippy_Kid said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Not necessarily. Pauley Perette from NCIS, who plays Abby, did that. And so have a lot of other celebrities.

It's a moral rights and humans rights issue.

God bless the celebrities, where would be without them to guide us?

;)

LMAO!

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding if I want to have sex with Abby from NCIS or not. On one hand my inner nerd has such a raging boner from her and I love weird girls, but on the other I think I would somehow feel like a pedophile despite the fact that she is 13 years older than me.

All the time. I don't go out with anyone thinking from the start, they're the person I'm going to marry, if I marry at all. I prefer to start going out with them and see if anything flourishes.

If I was very young, naïve ofcourse marriage would be the last thing on my mind, I'd just date for fun. However as an adult with personal values and principles, if I realised the person I was in a relationship with was a not a 'life partner material', I'd not feel comfortable continuing with the relationship...waste of both our time.

Why would you even want to get married?

Aside from that...

...dating doesn't have to end in marriage.

As I've gotten older I've started to think in terms of, "Does it make me a better person," rather than, "Will it last." One of the real truths of life is that much of what we see around us is transient, and that's ok. Regardless of if a relationship or marriage lasts, as long as it is teaching you how to do it better next time I think you're a step ahead of the game.

Yes,

Although how would you really know if you wanted to marry someone without dating them?

Also if the other person started talking about long term plans like marriage and I knew that it wasn't something I wanted then I would be upfront about it.
It would be unfair to string someone along thinking that marriage was a possibility if I knew that it wasn't.

However as someone who has never been in a relationship, the idea of getting married sits at about the same odds of me winning the lottery :)

Yes. Dating is just dating, it is not exclusivity. Exclusivity does not happen until it is discussed. Why shouldn't you have a social life with people of both genders while you're still single. You won't know who you're going to marry or even who you want as a boyfriend or girlfriend until after you've dated for a while since dating is the process of getting to know someone.

I've been married, quite honestly, it's just a piece of paper to a lot of people. While I do believe in the sanctity of marriage, I've also been through a hell of a lot and don't know if I would want to do that again.
I'm not opposed to being married again, but I'm also not looking to be married again.
Relationships are full of ups and downs, trials and errors. Dating people you don't think you'll marry is kind of like a test run for a relationship that you DO think will last. You find out what you're like with someone else in your life. You learn the do's and don'ts of being in a relationship. It seems to me that it would be a smart idea to get some of the DON'Ts out of the way beforehand.
Also, it's fun to date, so why not live a little before you settle down?

Alonewith2cats said:
Yes. Dating is just dating, it is not exclusivity. Exclusivity does not happen until it is discussed. Why shouldn't you have a social life with people of both genders while you're still single. You won't know who you're going to marry or even who you want as a boyfriend or girlfriend until after you've dated for a while since dating is the process of getting to know someone.

Marriage doesn't always mean exclusivity. Sad, but true.

TheSkaFish said:
No, waste of time.

But don't people sometimes have to date first to get to that exclusive stage of being in a relationship which could potentially lead to a marriage (if he/she cares for that)? I guess it all depends on the individual and their beliefs.

Latest posts

Back