Would You Help Out A Panhandler?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually don't. I'm still a student, my money isn't even mine, it's money to pay for my studies.

When I finish school and get a job, maybe. Since I need pretty much nothing and rarely spend money at all, I'll have plenty of spare money. But really, I don't like being harassed by strangers in the street just for money. I think you can get like 8000$ a year if you apply for Social Help here, it's plenty of money to feed yourself...

I'd rather donate my money to people that really need it.

i gave two dollars to a panhandler last fall.

i was in the boonies (some city i had never been to), and was eating my lunch in my vehicle. this grungy-looking guy starts to approach the vehicle. my first thought was...somebody is gonna get knocked the fresia out if he gets any closer. but against my better judgment, i rolled down the window.

he says "i am a homeless vet. and i've never been one to beg. but i'm down on my luck and could really use a coffee. can you spare a buck or two? i swear i'm not a druggie or drunk, i'm gonna go right over to that store and just get a coffee."

i said "sure thing, pal." and gave him two bucks.

i decided to relocate to another area of the parking lot to finish my lunch, because i wanted some shade.

i watched him approach three more cars.

the dude didn't need coffee money, unless he wanted stock in starbucks.

he had two bucks, why in the fresia didn't he just go get a coffee?

then...i wanted to physically assault him...because i work really ******* hard for my money.

won't happen again.

they say if you want to help the homeless, give to a charity that helps the homeless.

otherwise you are just handing them drug and alcohol money.

I used to walk by foot to my work. It started at 6 in the morning so I had to head out at 5. At the time I had no money to afford taxi rides and it was too early for any other kind of public transport to circulate the city veins.

With people still blissfully sleeping their time away in warm beds it was only for the three of us to share that long silent street. Me, her and her kid. Me, the generally breakfast-less workforce. Her, young gypsy woman in a colourful artificially dirty dress. Her kid would shapeshift own appearance, gender and age depending on the day of the week. On some days she'd have blonde Russian-looking kid around her. I gave her nothing but sound of my footsteps. I can respect her for not having the guts to ask, for avoiding eye contact with me when I knew I'm seeing her for the last time, after I quit that job. I was paid 1 buck an hour, less than a parking lot earns for allowing a single car to take a space. Gypsy girl? I wouldn't give a single hour of my labour to her. I had a mouth to feed.

Fast forward to Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Arabic bazaar bustling with eastern activity. They call you 'brother' from behind their stalls as you pass them by. They secretively reveal dull silver jewellery, stun guns and perfume smiling at you with faint hint of menace. They cry out "Doler, rubl, tenge, som" almost in your face. Some of them want you to think that they can predict the future of an uncertain character such as yourself. Experienced bargainers. Cheaters, scammers. Hypnosis practitioners. Highly socially skilled individuals, that's for sure. Pickpockets too.

With this thought I fill the spare space in my pockets with my hands and keep my gaze down onto the ground in apathy as I'm being pulled away by her through the crowd. I see sandy dust at my feet. Then I see him. He has no legs and his arms end around the elbow area. He has a shabby wooden plank platform with wheels as his transport, carton poorbox as his fellow passenger. It is my turn to have to look the other way. Having 'oh-my-god-no-girlfriend' is bad. Daydreaming getting out of hand is bad. Not knowing if men perceive you solely as a sex subject is bad. Criminal abortion is bad. Being religiously brainwashed to kill innocents is bad. Waking up to find your dealer on top of you is bad. Heroin withdrawals is bad. Having to crawl for the rest of your days is different kind of bad. Always having your face so close to the ground. The first place I'd be crawling to would be nearest pool of water.

She is browsing wares displayed on the stall, I'm thinking about the encounter. Arguments we had? Fights between me and her old friends she was instigating? It's rainbows fairies and ponies.

I used to call homeless people 'druids'. In a degrading way.

I did not stop my 'friend' hitting a druid.

"Look aren't they cute?" She brings tiny silver earrings shaped in form of bears up close to my face.

"Huh? Yeah. I guess." I get sort of scolded by her for not paying attention to the trinkets she enjoys checking out. Our money would be more useful to buy those for her. She'd feel great.

I wonder how much money that limbless person would need to feel as good as she would.

Can anything be done to help him? People tend to not notice somebody like him.

Most of you don't want to. Most of you didn't even bother to read up to this point. Why? It is unnerving to know that such a level of hopelessness exists. Most people are ashamed to bend down to his height and put their currency into his poorbox. They are ashamed to look at him for too long. They can even be ashamed to know about him. They'd just rather discard the memory if they were to look at or know about him.

"These or these? Or maybe this necklace?"

All of them that you'd like. No need to choose, just one life, remember?

-----
Sorry if it was overly sentimental or disturbing. Or if you feel like I'm underestimating your issues. Sometimes I think that everyone who's not dead yet bears or will bear just about enough suffering that he\she is capable to endure. Just felt like sharing a story. Haven't slept for a day and a night, insomnia.

To answer the OP, no I only gave alms for the poor as an ignorant child when my religious mother made me to. To commit a 'good deed' she said.

But if I lived in Denmark or other place where rapists and murderers have free gym and faster Internet than me, I'd consider charity. Besides charity doesn't work very well in Russia. I'd rather not donate to the rich.

Where is that song about world being wonderful? I feel like shitting all over it.

Poignant. We are (or atleast, I am) so far removed from these things that it's eye-opening to be reminded of it from time to time. Our petty problems don't compare to that of most of the world.

MechanicalMishka said:

Where is that song about world being wonderful? I feel like shitting all over it.

People = honeysuckle

Wonderful world

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

LoneKiller said:
tedgresham said:
MechanicalMishka said:

People = honeysuckle

Wonderful world

That song although brilliant, is as depressing as they come.

Which one? I'm thinkin' it may be Slipknot. My favorite line from it: "I'm not like you, I just fresia up." Loui's tune, it's nice but it's a dream...

tedgresham said:
LoneKiller said:
tedgresham said:
MechanicalMishka said:

People = honeysuckle

Wonderful world

That song although brilliant, is as depressing as they come.

Which one? I'm thinkin' it may be Slipknot. My favorite line from it: "I'm not like you, I just fresia up." Loui's tune, it's nice but it's a dream...
Sorry about that. I was referring to "What A Wonderful World".

MechanicalMishka said:
I used to walk by foot to my work. It started at 6 in the morning so I had to head out at 5. At the time I had no money to afford taxi rides and it was too early for any other kind of public transport to circulate the city veins.

With people still blissfully sleeping their time away in warm beds it was only for the three of us to share that long silent street. Me, her and her kid. Me, the generally breakfast-less workforce. Her, young gypsy woman in a colourful artificially dirty dress. Her kid would shapeshift own appearance, gender and age depending on the day of the week. On some days she'd have blonde Russian-looking kid around her. I gave her nothing but sound of my footsteps. I can respect her for not having the guts to ask, for avoiding eye contact with me when I knew I'm seeing her for the last time, after I quit that job. I was paid 1 buck an hour, less than a parking lot earns for allowing a single car to take a space. Gypsy girl? I wouldn't give a single hour of my labour to her. I had a mouth to feed.

Fast forward to Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Arabic bazaar bustling with eastern activity. They call you 'brother' from behind their stalls as you pass them by. They secretively reveal dull silver jewellery, stun guns and perfume smiling at you with faint hint of menace. They cry out "Doler, rubl, tenge, som" almost in your face. Some of them want you to think that they can predict the future of an uncertain character such as yourself. Experienced bargainers. Cheaters, scammers. Hypnosis practitioners. Highly socially skilled individuals, that's for sure. Pickpockets too.

With this thought I fill the spare space in my pockets with my hands and keep my gaze down onto the ground in apathy as I'm being pulled away by her through the crowd. I see sandy dust at my feet. Then I see him. He has no legs and his arms end around the elbow area. He has a shabby wooden plank platform with wheels as his transport, carton poorbox as his fellow passenger. It is my turn to have to look the other way. Having 'oh-my-god-no-girlfriend' is bad. Daydreaming getting out of hand is bad. Not knowing if men perceive you solely as a sex subject is bad. Criminal abortion is bad. Being religiously brainwashed to kill innocents is bad. Waking up to find your dealer on top of you is bad. Heroin withdrawals is bad. Having to crawl for the rest of your days is different kind of bad. Always having your face so close to the ground. The first place I'd be crawling to would be nearest pool of water.

She is browsing wares displayed on the stall, I'm thinking about the encounter. Arguments we had? Fights between me and her old friends she was instigating? It's rainbows fairies and ponies.

"Look aren't they cute?" She brings tiny silver earrings shaped in form of bears up close to my face.

"Huh? Yeah. I guess." I get sort of scolded by her for not paying attention to the trinkets she enjoys checking out. Our money would be more useful to buy those for her. She'd feel great.

I wonder how much money that limbless person would need to feel as good as she would.

Most of you don't want to. Most of you didn't even bother to read up to this point. Why? It is unnerving to know that such a level of hopelessness exists. Most people are ashamed to bend down to his height and put their currency into his poorbox. They are ashamed to look at him for too long. They can even be ashamed to know about him. They'd just rather discard the memory if they were to look at or know about him.

-----
Sorry if it was overly sentimental or disturbing. Or if you feel like I'm underestimating your issues. Sometimes I think that everyone who's not dead yet bears or will bear just about enough suffering that he\she is capable to endure. Just felt like sharing a story. Haven't slept for a day and a night, insomnia.

To answer the OP, no I only gave alms for the poor as an ignorant child when my religious mother made me to. To commit a 'good deed' she said.

But if I lived in Denmark or other place where rapists and murderers have free gym and faster Internet than me, I'd consider charity. Besides charity doesn't work very well in Russia. I'd rather not donate to the rich.

I think reading this^ would make anyone feel bad to complain about petty problems.

MechanicalMishka said:

-----

wow that was amazing. I am lost for words. I have to admit that I am very guilty of choosing to forget something that made me sad. And though it is partly because I can't do anything about it (for now), it's mostly because, to forget is easier.

There is this old man on an alternative route towards home, I passed by him once sitting on the ground. It had rain, for days even. It was cold. When I saw him, it almost made me cry right then and there, but I kept walking choosing not to look back. I knew I had only enough money for fare towards home. But I could have bought him something and walk instead of riding my second buss. It would have been bearable. It's not that far. I kept thinking, I am hungry, it's raining, I need to go home as fast as I could or I would get sick. But really, if I wanted to help him more than my own comfort, I could afford to buy medicine if I would get sick for walking a block away from my home on an ungodly weather. It was a choice and I choose to not look back.

There was also this one time when I just got out from work. It was pay day but I had no extra change. I only have enough coins for fare. A shabby man passed by and extended his open palm towards me, I automatically replied, ''I only have enough coins for fare ride''. Although I was saying the truth, I could have given him my money for my next buss, buy something at the mall so that I'll have coins from the bills from my pay, I would have compromise my 'no-spending-before-budgeting' policy. But like before, I chose my comfort.

It's heartbreaking to live in a country where you can see poverty everyday it's almost like your coffee in the morning.

To answer the OP, I rarely give money, but I do give food instead. But compare the times that I gave to the times I chose not to look, it's a 20 to 80 chance.

I once had someone give me an entire tale about how he was in trouble and I gave him almost $80. He used it all to buy alcohol, but in some stupid karmic twist, he happened to drink with some close friends who were, let's see, less legal than most.

He told them exactly that he had cheated me, around the same day when I was telling them about how I had given money away to a man in trouble. My people were not amused.

Let's say that the ****** coughed up every last cent. I still wonder how he managed it. Force, apparently, is an amazing motivator.

You know what is hilarious about it all, though? In his story which he used to deceive me, he told me that people were out to hurt him. Self-fullfilling prophecy much?

Once I was waiting for my friends near a tree. (I used to wait for them in halfway to high school. as by distance, I live closer to my school than my friends). And a begger came in front of me. He stopped and began to count his money. I had only two coins which were to be spent buying breakfast to share with my two friends. I was sure that if he asked me for money, I'd give him. (there wasnt a lot of people around so i was afraid) He advanced and stretched his hand and in it were coins. He wanted to give ME money. lol. I felt so embarassed. I couldnt even speak. I looked at him and shook my head thinking ' I am the one who should give you money not the way round'. He understood that I didnt accept his money, shrugged and left. I still wonder why he wanted to give me money lol. I mean I sure look pathetic but not a begger.

Liley said:
Once I was waiting for my friends near a tree. (I used to wait for them in halfway to high school. as by distance, I live closer to my school than my friends). And a begger came in front of me. He stopped and began to count his money. I had only two coins which were to be spent buying breakfast to share with my two friends. I was sure that if he asked me for money, I'd give him. (there wasnt a lot of people around so i was afraid) He advanced and stretched his hand and in it were coins. He wanted to give ME money. lol. I felt so embarassed. I couldnt even speak. I looked at him and shook my head thinking ' I am the one who should give you money not the way round'. He understood that I didnt accept his money, shrugged and left. I still wonder why he wanted to give me money lol. I mean I sure look pathetic but not a begger.

i had something similar happen to me when i was in highschool. it was afterschool and me and a friend went to a fast food place to eat. we both only had a dollar each. so we were going to order something off the dollar menu but then we remembered the tax. so i remember asking this one lady is she could spare some change and instead she handed me a 20$ bill. i was like o.o and then i tried to tell her that i only needed a few cents. apparently i looked like a homeless teenager that hasn't eaten anything in days -.- its good to know that generosity and kindness still exists though.

Liley said:

Hahahahahaha :')

Back when I was religious a few years ago, I was on my way to a bible study and stopped at a grocery store for snacks to bring. I was in a high-income suburb where you rarely see homeless people. A guy approached me on my way to my car asking me for spare change. I don't give cash to strangers so I told him I didn't have any to give. But I had a bag of food in my hands. I was bringing it to the meeting so I couldn't give it to the guy. I went to a drive-thru across the street and bought the guy a meal. He said "thank you" and I went to the bible study.
At the bible study, a few people were cynically commenting that you shouldn't give homeless money because they might not deserve it. I thought that was odd.
Here in Sacramento, there was a story in the newspaper a year or two ago about a man living in a cardboard box behind a gas station. A regular customer talked to him and took him in. The good Samaritan tracked down the homeless guy's daughter (I think via facebook) who hadn't seen her dad in years and was looking for him. The homeless man was an alcoholic and he had abandoned his family years ago. But he was reunited with his daughter and he joined her and her family in the midwest. They were both happy about being reunited. The homeless guy died a few months ago. I believe it was cancer. If the gas station customer just walked away and said "pshaw - just a drunk", the whole trajectory of this story would have changed.

So, yeah, there's a lot of slackers who can help themselves but there are also a lot who I don't mind helping. As the saying goes, there but for the grace of god go you or I.

Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Here in Sacramento, there was a story in the newspaper a year or two ago about a man living in a cardboard box behind a gas station. A regular customer talked to him and took him in. The good Samaritan tracked down the homeless guy's daughter (I think via facebook) who hadn't seen her dad in years and was looking for him. The homeless man was an alcoholic and he had abandoned his family years ago. But he was reunited with his daughter and he joined her and her family in the midwest. They were both happy about being reunited. The homeless guy died a few months ago. I believe it was cancer. If the gas station customer just walked away and said "pshaw - just a drunk", the whole trajectory of this story would have changed.

That's an awesome story. Wonderful to read in a world of, "Not My Business".

Latest posts

Back