You are who you choose to be.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amthorn said:
The keys to a better self are mindfulness, meditation, and compassion.

This is completely different then your original statement. And isnt a better self whatever we decide it is. Meaning subjective.

I guess the majority opinion wins.

Amthorn said:
You are not your feelings.

You are not your thoughts.

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your relationship status.

You are not your bank account.

You are not your car.

You are not even your body.

Right now, in this moment, you are who you choose to be. And if you like, if you feel so inclined, you can be happy, just to be alive and breathing.

Or not. It's your choice.

Sorry to respond late but horse****

Interesting notions.

Allow for an example:

Say I drive a beat-up old car,
because my job is a low paying wage,
because I've tried to improve my employment status and have yet to succeed.
I try to be optimistic on the job front, yet the events of my past cannot be denied
I am alone, with many failed relationships.
I try to be optimistic with hope of finding someone, but my past events cannot be denied and do have an effect on my actions

Such is my reality, as based on circumstances.
By denying the negative, as the OP suggests, I am also denying my reality by living in a fantasy world that has no basis in said reality as it applies to my life.

I suggest that in order to change one's attitude, there has to be a balance of positive changes in one's life as well (changes that happen to you - call them improvements in your daily life). The two go hand in hand. you can start by focusing on one aspect of positive change, but if you do not experience something in your life that changes what makes you feel negatively about it, the belief is an empty one not based in reality.

"You are who you choose to be" - up to a point. I really can't choose to be, oh, Gwyneth Paltrow. I certainly can't choose to be Brad Pitt, since I'm female. Yes, you can choose to be happy in the moment, but does that really affect how people see you, or your future?

But it certainly feels as if we have free will, so I'll go with that!

Richmond said:
"You are who you choose to be" - up to a point. I really can't choose to be, oh, Gwyneth Paltrow. I certainly can't choose to be Brad Pitt, since I'm female. Yes, you can choose to be happy in the moment, but does that really affect how people see you, or your future?

But it certainly feels as if we have free will, so I'll go with that!

Sure you can. Plastic surgery and/or sex change :D

But as for how other people see you, why does that matter? The opinion of strangers and people who don't like you aren't important. The only opinions that matter are yours and people who care about you.

TheRealCallie said:
But as for how other people see you, why does that matter? The opinion of strangers and people who don't like you aren't important. The only opinions that matter are yours and people who care about you.

Right on, those are things that matter most If you start paying attention to every tom dick and harry then it won't be good idea. The only thing you have to do to care about you and care about the people who actually care for you.

Latest posts

Back