You know your lonely when

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LonelySutton said:
But last week I woke up feeling nauseated at home and then I went to work and felt much better than then, when I came home... started feeling it again... and I thought ... what if people do actually make me feel better?

This has happened to me before yes, about 10 years ago. I was totally without money and really scared and worried so I would a very upset stomach with worry. When I socialized it would keep my mind off my worry for a while and I would start to not feel sick, but then as soon as i was alone again i would start to worry and get nausea. It wasn't so much about being alone as it was about the having a distraction vs not having a distraction to keep me from worrying.

When I'm in a room full of people who know each other, they know who I am but not a single person speaks to me. Many look at me or perhaps right through me. Sometimes when I feel strong I smile and say hello. I'm lucky if I get a grunt back. But I see people all around me talking with each other. What the heck is wrong with me?

When you go looking online for other people as lonely as you, on a Friday night, and can't really find anyone else. Well the others have somebody, whether it be a sibling, parent, friend, boyfriend, etc....

Jana said:
When you go looking online for other people as lonely as you, on a Friday night, and can't really find anyone else. Well the others have somebody, whether it be a sibling, parent, friend, boyfriend, etc....

Jana,
You have no one in your life? I'm so sorry. I do have an abusive husband and a daughter but I'm still a desperately lonely soul. I have absolutely no one to talk to. For chit chat, complaining, discussing problems at work, sharing any success I may have at work. The two people I live with don't care or are not able to talk to me about these things. So...I've come here hoping someone might be interested.

Good luck to you finding someone to connect with.

When your talking to yourself escalates from questions, answers, and statements, to full-on paragraphS. Yes, plural. Hence emphasis on the S.

Lost Drifter said:
When you don't own a mobile phone because you have no one to call.

There were years when I didn't have a cell phone. A couple of months ago I tried to get back together with my ex-girlfriend by surprising her with flowers. She told me her cell phone was blowing up with text messages from her friends giving her advice about what to do, and she showed me her phone, filled with friendly green notifications. My phone was blank, I had no one to talk to. We didn't end up working out, and although I'm still in a lot of pain, I guess I should be grateful I had the experience.

You know you are lonely when the only person you talked to throughout most of the day was an employee at your local Walgreens.

- When you come home from work and whisper 'hello nobody, I'm home'. I'm thinking of buying a cat and naming it 'nobody', so then at least I'd be talking to someone
- When you stop looking forward to weekends because you know it's going to be two days of struggling to find something to keep you busy and not look like a total loser doing it
- When it's hard to maintain proper eye contact for fear they may see the desperation/loneliness/sadness/whatever in your eyes.
- When the only words you mutter sometimes for the whole day is 'thanks, you too' to the cashier after she tells you to have a nice day.
- When some of the best conversations you've ever had had taken place with yourself inside your head, or even sometimes audibly.
- When you miss out on movies, weddings, concerts, camping, events, etc... because you don't like going to certain places alone without looking like a creep or feeling like a fifth wheel.
- When you know you're lonely, you don't want to be lonely, you know what it takes to not be lonely, yet you're still lonely
- When you wish you had even some of your worst friendships back, because at least that's something.
- When there's no point in cleaning up your apartment because you know no one is going to be in there to see it anyways. I've lived here for 2.5 years and not one soul besides myself has stepped into it... that I know of.
- When even eating alone in fast food joints seems awkward
- When you look away from love scenes on shows because it's a painful reminder of something you may have once had or feel like will never have again.
- When you can relate to certain characters on TV or in movies, for instance the movie Poor Boy where dude was kept imprisoned in an apartment for 30 years all alone... I can relate to that.
- When you see other people who aren't alone having a good time and socializing or whatnot and you feel a tinge of jealousy and sometimes spite... Why them?!

I'll think of more, this is my first post and I want to look around more.

Idontknowwhy said:
Jana said:

Jana,
You have no one in your life? I'm so sorry. I do have an abusive husband and a daughter but I'm still a desperately lonely soul. I have absolutely no one to talk to. For chit chat, complaining, discussing problems at work, sharing any success I may have at work. The two people I live with don't care or are not able to talk to me about these things. So...I've come here hoping someone might be interested.

Thank you : ) I hope you find somebody, too. I'm really sorry about your situation.

Idontknowwhy said:
Jana,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling isolated. I also lack someone to share the details of my life with. You should congratulate yourself for taking a step forward and coming to this forum. Best.

when you meet total strangers for two hours and walk away with the warm impression of having some friends, and deep down you know that you will never see them again, but this feeling is too good and you just need to hold on to it

When you decide to take a shower and get cleaned up and put on some decent clothes... just to go to the grocery store, because that's really all you have going on today. Might as well look good for it.

redbeard 44 said:
When you decide to take a shower and get cleaned up and put on some decent clothes... just to go to the grocery store, because that's really all you have going on today. Might as well look good for it.

May I politely ask. If you could be doing anything with your day what would it be?

You know you're lonely when the only conversation you've had in 2 months is "Hi Jimmy." to your cat.
You know you're lonely when what makes you feel lively is a fantasy in your head where you have friends, company.
You know you're lonely when you wonder who'll show up to your funeral, if you'll have one.
You know you're lonely when the time of your death is the only planning ahead you do.
You know you're lonely when your mouth is always zipped closed, so much that you forget to breath at times.
You know you're lonely when having an incoming call is some sort of big deal to you.
You know you're lonely when you're in bed, your whole body in pain, a really bad stomach and you're coughing up blood and there's nobody to tend to you.
You know you're lonely when you fill a bowl with 160+ pills and you know there's nobody who'll even try to make you think twice about it.

Idontknowwhy said:
When I'm in a room full of people who know each other, they know who I am but not a single person speaks to me. Many look at me or perhaps right through me. Sometimes when I feel strong I smile and say hello. I'm lucky if I get a grunt back. But I see people all around me talking with each other. What the heck is wrong with me?

This was my entire college year.

She-ra said:
redbeard 44 said:

May I politely ask. If you could be doing anything with your day what would it be?

There's lots of things I could be doing today, and I may still go for a walk later, but of everything I do, it's always alone. So if I could be doing anything today, it would be doing anything... with someone else.

grosslonelyguy said:
You know you're lonely when the only conversation you've had in 2 months is "Hi Jimmy." to your cat.
You know you're lonely when what makes you feel lively is a fantasy in your head where you have friends, company.
You know you're lonely when you wonder who'll show up to your funeral, if you'll have one.
You know you're lonely when the time of your death is the only planning ahead you do.
You know you're lonely when your mouth is always zipped closed, so much that you forget to breath at times.
You know you're lonely when having an incoming call is some sort of big deal to you.
You know you're lonely when you're in bed, your whole body in pain, a really bad stomach and you're coughing up blood and there's nobody to tend to you.
You know you're lonely when you fill a bowl with 160+ pills and you know there's nobody who'll even try to make you think twice about it.

This was my entire college year.

About the funeral thing, I saw somewhere recently in some comedy or something that said something like 'so-and-so died today, pallbearers needed'. That hit me, because that's how I envision my funeral... pallbearers needed.

redbeard 44 said:
About the funeral thing, I saw somewhere recently in some comedy or something that said something like 'so-and-so died today, pallbearers needed'. That hit me, because that's how I envision my funeral... pallbearers needed.

Maybe I can reassure you. Not sure what was going on there but, when my mom passed the funeral home had their own pallbearers that came with the funeral. One thing that really helped me with the funeral terror was the show "Six Feet Under". The show presented very nice (if not messed up people) who were undertakers and I felt they always were kind and respectful to the people who died, no matter what the circumstance. Makes me feel like even if I die all alone I will have kind people send me off with respect and kindness.

On the, what would I be doing today, I think I would like people that I consider my friends to just surprise me and show up and ask if i wanted to hang out. I would like my brother to just once come over and see if I wanted to go out with them (and my nephew) you know, like normal well adjusted families do?

When you read about advertising for pallbearers and think, "Hey! That's a really good idea! I should arrange and pay for my own pallbearers beforehand!"

Note to mods: The above is in no way indicative of a tendency toward self harm on my part......I've still got a few decades left to me.

When something goes wrong in your house and you have to pay someone to come out and help you figure what the problem is simply because you can't both "make the noise" on the 1st floor and "listen in the basement" for the noise at the same time.

You know you're lonely when you're having a bad day and have no one to talk to.

Latest posts

Back