Your Place In The Family - Oldest, Middle, Youngest, Only

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you fall in your family?

• Oldest/Older

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Middle

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Youngest

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Only Child

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Eldest daughter with two sisters who are identical twins.

Sci-Fi said:
Well, I guess technically I'm the younger one, but only by about 3 minutes.

A Twin ! I always wanted a sibling I could feel really close to and twins are supposed to be often Very close. Is that how it is for you Sci-Fi?

I'm the oldest. Well, I really think it depends.

For example, when my brothers were still little, as I was quite mature, my parents told me when the middle one had a tumor. Luckily it's gone now. And also now my granddad has a tumor too (hoping it turns out well). Or for example when grandma was really depressed. There are so many times when only I was told and had to deal with such things.

However I do realize that in the last years, since I live far from home, my brothers probably feel lonelier without me and I've not been as present for them as I should have been. They have had their hardships too and I wasn't there to help. That makes me feel really guilty.

In the end I don't think the fact of being the oldest/middle/youngest brother has much to do with feeling lonely, as the OP stated. And thinking I'm more lonely than they are is probably a pit in my reasoning, as being far away and not exactly in the best relationship with them, they tend not to confide in me.

Wayfarer said:
For example, when my brothers were still little, as I was quite mature, my parents told me when the middle one had a tumor.
However I do realize that in the last years, since I live far from home, my brothers probably feel lonelier without me and I've not been as present for them as I should have been. They have had their hardships too and I wasn't there to help. That makes me feel really guilty.
In the end I don't think the fact of being the oldest/middle/youngest brother has much to do with feeling lonely, as the OP stated.

I am glad to hear your brother is better wayfarer. I am also the oldest, and yes parents do tend to confide in the older sibling more, at least in my experience. I usually live far from home too and I used to feel guilty for the same reason as you, but nowadays the three of us live in three different countries for most of the year, so we have had to find ways to communicate and stay close and I don't feel as guilty for not physically being present for them. Loneliness and depression aren't specific to a particular place in line or order of birth, although I suppose perhaps an only child may be expected to be more lonely than those with siblings.

Oldest of two boys, my younger brother being in the perfect place for a vicious, bullying thug with an ego that could attract planetoids and a contempt for intellect: he's in the Armed Forces, a sniper and a drill instructor. As far as I'm concerned, my true family is named Addams.

I'm the youngest of three boys, but the two older ones were slackers so I was the most functional of us in the family.

OK, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I need an "other" button,I wasn't raised by my biological parents but by my Grandparents. When it comes to the children my Mum has,I have two sisters both younger than me so i'm the eldest. Since my Grandparents actually brought me up and had 7 children of their own (my Mum left when I was a baby,long story) growing up I was the youngest by 10 years.

Latest posts

Back