answering the "where are you from" question..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayme89

Reaction score
I've move around a lot while growing up and people commonly ask me "where are you from?" especially when they hear me speak because I do not have a southern accent (I currently live in TX). My parents and extended family are all from the Northeast, but I was not born in the northeast myself. I was born in the midwest and have lived throughout the U.S. Because I've moved so much and only stayed in the place I was born for a handful of years I don't really consider myself being "from" a specific place. So when asked "where I'm from" I'm forced to ramble on about where I was born and the subsequent places I moved afterwards, and I can tell that this is more information then the listener needs to know or cares to know. I know that this is a common question and is not meant to be intrusive, but for me it's too complex to answer and I hate talking too much to people I know don't care for the amount of information I'm giving. I always see them mentally checking out while I talk. It makes me not want to answer at all, but that would be rude.

So how can I (a) avoid answering this question all together or (b) give a shorter less specific answer to this question without seeming rude?

MissGuided said:
'I was born in 'X', but moved here from 'X', might work.

Yes.

And if they proceed to question you, just say it's a long story, or it's complicated, they'll get the hint.

Just tell them you're in a witness protection program and further discussion will result in intense-looking people in suits, sunglasses, and indistinguishable badges knocking on the door late in the evening.

MissGuided said:
'I was born in 'X', but moved here from 'X', might work.

great advise thanks!

WildernessWildChild said:
Just tell them you're in a witness protection program and further discussion will result in intense-looking people in suits, sunglasses, and indistinguishable badges knocking on the door late in the evening.

That could work too! :D

jayme89 said:

That could work too! :D

Well, ummm, errr, ahem...., not so sure I'd listen to me....;)

Growing up, my family moved roughly once a year. When asked where i am from i just say where i was born and that we moved a lot. Most people aren't looking for more than that.

Yeah where you're from is where you were born. If they ask about the place you haven't been to for years then further explanation about how you move about a lot goes down well

Either that or you're from where you live now

I agree with Minus-just say that you have moved around a lot. People often ask these sort of questions as smalltalk and aren't too interested in the answer anyway.

haha, this reminds me of a time I asked someone that question.
it was a guy I worked with quite a lot and I always wondered about the origin of his name (which was simply "Tal")
so one day while we were sitting in a group on break, I just looked him in the eye and said "what kinda name is Tal anyways? where U from boy?
that cause everyone within ear shot to crack up laughing, himself included.
and he never did answer my question though lol.
he just came back with something like "your mommas closet" or something like that.

I think the question can easily be avoided if you turn it into humor.
just respond with something outrageous and unbelievable.
like if you're a western looking white guy, say you're from India, if you have an Asian appearance, say you're from Sweden or something.
give them something to think about that shuts them up.

I've dealt with this, especially since moving here. What I say is that I was born in Jersey, but lived in South Carolina for 5 years, and then moved here. I know people can tell that I'm not southern, so I don't mind telling. There was one lady though who knew where I was from by how I signed my name... I have no idea how she figured it, but that's what she told me. And she was right too.

Walley said:
haha, this reminds me of a time I asked someone that question.
it was a guy I worked with quite a lot and I always wondered about the origin of his name (which was simply "Tal")
so one day while we were sitting in a group on break, I just looked him in the eye and said "what kinda name is Tal anyways? where U from boy?
that cause everyone within ear shot to crack up laughing, himself included.
and he never did answer my question though lol.
he just came back with something like "your mommas closet" or something like that.

I think the question can easily be avoided if you turn it into humor.
just respond with something outrageous and unbelievable.
like if you're a western looking white guy, say you're from India, if you have an Asian appearance, say you're from Sweden or something.
give them something to think about that shuts them up.

Hahaha.. this made me laugh. :D

Latest posts

Back