I stink !

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lonelyfairy said:
Sometimes people are smelly because of some illness/disease or medications.

Exactly. One woman at work, sometimes she really does smell.
I would never, ever say anything. It may be a medical problem and I wouldn't dream of hurting her feelings.

But it seems to be 'pick on me month' so I get an invitation into the managers office.

Triple you need to get out of that workplace ASAP. Just so you know... and maybe feel better... I am an attorney and was once spoken to about "being smelly". It actually did have some basis because I had switched from a regular antiperspirant to a natural one and it failed at a time that I just couldn't even get the slightest break at work. I mean I wasn't even getting bathroom breaks. But literally it was 1 week of smellyness and people went crazy.

But, to me, this is workplace bullying. A way of "mobbing" those who you don't like. At the time, my boss was trying to get back at me for stuff that he perceived as a slight. And at the first possible opportunity to demean me... he jumped at it. And it hurt like a son of a b.

Listen, everyone stinks. Everyone has issues. Just no one ever says anything to those they like. A few months afterward this well known attorney showed up the worst stains on his shirt by the wrist I had ever seen. Clearly hadn't been washed in months. Possible he just grabbed what he had but everyone noticed and people even recoiled at the smell.

I am telling you they are setting you up to get fired and having a nasty fun time being mean in the process. This is like a "key" petty / bully tactic. Also it is so bull because it is impossible to prove what you smell like to others.

LonelySutton said:
Triple you need to get out of that workplace ASAP. Just so you know... and maybe feel better... I am an attorney and was once spoken to about "being smelly". It actually did have some basis because I had switched from a regular antiperspirant to a natural one and it failed at a time that I just couldn't even get the slightest break at work. I mean I wasn't even getting bathroom breaks. But literally it was 1 week of smellyness and people went crazy.

But, to me, this is workplace bullying. A way of "mobbing" those who you don't like. At the time, my boss was trying to get back at me for stuff that he perceived as a slight. And at the first possible opportunity to demean me... he jumped at it. And it hurt like a son of a b.

Listen, everyone stinks. Everyone has issues. Just no one ever says anything to those they like. A few months afterward this well known attorney showed up the worst stains on his shirt by the wrist I had ever seen. Clearly hadn't been washed in months. Possible he just grabbed what he had but everyone noticed and people even recoiled at the smell.

I am telling you they are setting you up to get fired and having a nasty fun time being mean in the process. This is like a "key" petty / bully tactic. Also it is so bull because it is impossible to prove what you smell like to others.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Some of the people are very mean and nasty.

To any of the ladies who are looking for a good unscented deoderant, this is the one i use and its great
https://well.ca/products/mitchum-women-advanced-gel_102752.html?gclid=CNPw-PLe48oCFVQ2aQodC1YGvQ

Im not sure if the mens have an unscented version but its worth a look.

I am very fortunate in that I'm very odour free. I have actually had people tell me so. I can even go a day with no deoderant and get away with it.
I dont use perfumes or body sprays of any kind

Nothing i use has scented chemicals in it, not even my laundry detergent.

I put baking soda and vinegar in with my chemical free laundry detergent and my clothes come out smelling scentless

I use tea tree shampoo/soap/bodywash/facewash/etc etc etc.. I even add a little bit of tea tree oil in with the tea tree shampoo to wash my face.

I put viks-vapo-rub on my foots at night and new shoes always get tin actin foot spray in them before my feet go in them and any time i sweat.

I invest in expensive cotton socks and I dont wear polyester socks because polyester breeds bacteria.

I use tea tree and/or xylitol toothpaste because they kill bacteria. Tea tree kills the gum bacteria and xylitol kills the tooth bacteria. I brush my tounge as well.

I do not use mouthwash as it kills the friendly bacteria.

On that note, those are my best tips, but chances are you dont need them. When people complain about someone smelling its usually because of colognes/perfumes deoderants aftershaves, or toxic laundry scents

If not that then its usually an issue of deoderant not working, which is never the persons fault, obviously its the companys fault for making a crappy product that doesnt work. Its happened to everyone before I'm sure.

Also, dieting with no carb consumption will cause bad breath because it affects the kidneys. Kidney problems can cause bad breath and so can an ulcer.

Also some types of bladder infections cause the urine to smell like ammonia. Dehydration does this as well.

Thats all I know. I hope you figure out what it is, or if the bitches are full of honeysuckle and trying to get you canned. My guess is that probably someone is complaining about a strong scented product you are wearing because that is usually the main reason people complain about this stuff. It could even be the laundry soap that is being used or even the fabric softener or dryer sheets. Dryer sheets are toxic and burn the sinuses of some people

Level of chemical scent tolerance is very individual and no two people tolerate things the same. My guess is that there is someone sensitive at your workplace which means its not about you, its about them, but still, its something to think about because if it bothers one person, how many more does it bother?

Rule out these things
bad breath - ulcer, kidney disease, overuse of listerine, dieting, not brushing enough, eating a lot of fish/garlic.
body odocur - bad deoderant, eating strange foods
foot odour - bacteria and underlying athletes foot, contaminated shoes
chemicals on body - cologne, aftershave, body wash, soap
chemicals on clothes - laundry soap, fabric softerner, dryer sheets

Here is a concern for you... if your laundry is being sent out, it very possible they use a cheap and toxic type dryer sheet, detergent or fabric softner to make the clothes easier to wash and fold. Once it permeates the household, you cant notice the toxic smell because its everywhere.

Just my thoughts, and again, it could be that they are simply trying to build a case against you to get you fired.

stork_error said:
To any of the ladies who are looking for a good unscented deoderant, this is the one i use and its great
https://well.ca/products/mitchum-women-advanced-gel_102752.html?gclid=CNPw-PLe48oCFVQ2aQodC1YGvQ

Im not sure if the mens have an unscented version but its worth a look.

I am very fortunate in that I'm very odour free. I have actually had people tell me so. I can even go a day with no deoderant and get away with it.
I dont use perfumes or body sprays of any kind

Nothing i use has scented chemicals in it, not even my laundry detergent.

I put baking soda and vinegar in with my chemical free laundry detergent and my clothes come out smelling scentless

I use tea tree shampoo/soap/bodywash/facewash/etc etc etc.. I even add a little bit of tea tree oil in with the tea tree shampoo to wash my face.

I put viks-vapo-rub on my foots at night and new shoes always get tin actin foot spray in them before my feet go in them and any time i sweat.

I invest in expensive cotton socks and I dont wear polyester socks because polyester breeds bacteria.

I use tea tree and/or xylitol toothpaste because they kill bacteria. Tea tree kills the gum bacteria and xylitol kills the tooth bacteria. I brush my tounge as well.

I do not use mouthwash as it kills the friendly bacteria.

On that note, those are my best tips, but chances are you dont need them. When people complain about someone smelling its usually because of colognes/perfumes deoderants aftershaves, or toxic laundry scents

If not that then its usually an issue of deoderant not working, which is never the persons fault, obviously its the companys fault for making a crappy product that doesnt work. Its happened to everyone before I'm sure.

Also, dieting with no carb consumption will cause bad breath because it affects the kidneys. Kidney problems can cause bad breath and so can an ulcer.

Also some types of bladder infections cause the urine to smell like ammonia. Dehydration does this as well.

Thats all I know. I hope you figure out what it is, or if the bitches are full of honeysuckle and trying to get you canned. My guess is that probably someone is complaining about a strong scented product you are wearing because that is usually the main reason people complain about this stuff. It could even be the laundry soap that is being used or even the fabric softener or dryer sheets. Dryer sheets are toxic and burn the sinuses of some people

Level of chemical scent tolerance is very individual and no two people tolerate things the same. My guess is that there is someone sensitive at your workplace which means its not about you, its about them, but still, its something to think about because if it bothers one person, how many more does it bother?

Rule out these things
bad breath - ulcer, kidney disease, overuse of listerine, dieting, not brushing enough, eating a lot of fish/garlic.
body odocur - bad deoderant, eating strange foods
foot odour - bacteria and underlying athletes foot, contaminated shoes
chemicals on body - cologne, aftershave, body wash, soap
chemicals on clothes - laundry soap, fabric softerner, dryer sheets

Here is a concern for you... if your laundry is being sent out, it very possible they use a cheap and toxic type dryer sheet, detergent or fabric softner to make the clothes easier to wash and fold. Once it permeates the household, you cant notice the toxic smell because its everywhere.

Just my thoughts, and again, it could be that they are simply trying to build a case against you to get you fired.

There is one woman who is always complaining saying 'what's that smell ?'
I can never smell a thing and nobody else says anything.

I sometimes say 'I hope it isn't my feet' - she has never said anything to me. She could have done. They say all sorts. Nothing is too crude and they don't think I have any feelings. I get all sorts of dick jokes, shagging jokes, you name it.

I will go out and buy some more expensive body spray.
I just buy cheap honeysuckle, I don't even think what I am buying.
And maybe something for my feet.

I have had comments about smelling nice though at work after I use my body spray.
You smell nice, what is it ? Things like that.

ringwood said:
Thanks but I don't think they are. I think somebody has got their nose to close to their arse to be honest. My Dad lives with me and hasn't noticed a thing.

Hahaha. This...that's what I think too. Somebody being a dick, just because. If your customers don't seem to nothing anything, and nobody else in your close personal life does, then I don't think there's too much of a problem.

I hope so anyway.

On Thursday after getting home from work I felt like sticking my head in the oven or something. I felt so down, so low, so useless. I remember on Thursday at work seeing this woman who looks nice and I had to stop myself. I thought 'don't even think about it because what chance have you got when you stink ?'

I worked with the manager today and it seemed he kept trying to cheer me up. Talking about football. The last 2 days at work I haven't felt like talking but it's impossible not to. I did plan on ditching my facebook and have zero contract from anybody from work but it lasted about 2 days. I posted several photo's on there and I've got loads of likes. They all know. I am sure of it. Probably been talking about it for ages.

I know yesterday people were trying to be nice to me. This woman who has hardly said a word since christmas wouldn't stop talking to me. I felt like telling her to bugger off. It's confidence that you lose when things like this happen. I kept expecting the manager to get me in the office again today and say I stink again.

perhaps ask the manager if its body odour or cologne ..sprays

sadly we we dont always notice smells weather good or bad

last week I walked into a store and could smell cigarette smoke on a lady and she was at least 10ft away ...she was wearing a pea coat ...wollen type ..find they hold that smell
The lady was well dressed and appeared clean

You have always taught me about how I should not care what others think of me and be myself, what about that??????????????????

BadGuy said:

last week I walked into a store and could smell cigarette smoke on a lady and she was at least 10ft away ...she was wearing a pea coat ...wollen type ..find they hold that smell

He said it was my work gear which looked old and tatty.
He said he didn't think it was anything else.

M_also_lonely said:
You have always taught me about how I should not care what others think of me and be myself, what about that??????????????????

Have I ?

When it comes to work, you have to keep your job so that means doing what they say. Keeping yourself clean and presentable is very important.

I'm human, I make mistakes. I will do things to improve the situation.

I agree that it could be something you are using that people just aren't liking (body spray, deodorant, etc), but I want to add that if your dad lives with you, he wouldn't necessarily be able to smell it either. You and him are most likely "blind" to whatever odors surround you because you have been around them so long, you've gotten used to them.

Is there any way to maybe have someone come over and ask if there's an odor in your house?

M_also_lonely said:

There is a difference between not caring what people think about your looks or mannerisms and possibly having a bad odor surrounding you.

TheRealCallie said:
I agree that it could be something you are using that people just aren't liking (body spray, deodorant, etc), but I want to add that if your dad lives with you, he wouldn't necessarily be able to smell it either. You and him are most likely "blind" to whatever odors surround you because you have been around them so long, you've gotten used to them.

Is there any way to maybe have someone come over and ask if there's an odor in your house?

M_also_lonely said:

There is a difference between not caring what people think about your looks or mannerisms and possibly having a bad odor surrounding you.

There isn't anybody I can ask.

I've thought of a few things. Buy some new and better body spray. Buy something for my feet / shoes. Have a bath on Tuesday night because I start work on Wednesdays. And have a shave in the morning instead of at night. Put some after shave on. I don't think I can do anything else.

My brother buys this cologne that smells like he took a bath in toilet water. It permeates from his room too and our mom has complained to him about it, and made him buy air fresheners for his room. He likes the cologne but both of us don't. So two people in the same house as him have complained about it but he still wears it.

There was a guy at the local paper I worked at yyyyeeeaaarrrs ago who smelled bad. The guy was one of the rural delivery drives and I was realigning the routes. I had to talk to each of the drivers about alterations they made. This guy would come in first thing in the morning with hands black from delivering papers the previous day, same clothes, look just as grungy and dirty and hadn't even started his day yet. He smelled so bad it lingered even when he was gone. One day the lady who sat in front of me got out her air freshener and sprayed it right behind him because the smell was so strong. It would bring tears to your eyes. Funny thing was, they guys wife was a nurse and they had dogs they would put into competitions. Their dogs got bathed more often, we often wondered why he just didn't hop in with them. Some people just become immune to their own smells.

Triple Bogey said:
BadGuy said:

M_also_lonely said:

Have I ?

When it comes to work, you have to keep your job so that means doing what they say. Keeping yourself clean and presentable is very important.

what does your " work gear" consist of ...is it a uniform ?

BTW People like to ***** about others ..put a couple together and they will usually pick on one person because they are cowards on their own
I often say at work "I dont worry ..everyone else worries about what I am doing that I don't need to "

BadGuy said:
Triple Bogey said:
BadGuy said:

M_also_lonely said:

Have I ?

what does your " work gear" consist of ...is it a uniform ?

BTW People like to ***** about others ..put a couple together and they will usually pick on one person because they are cowards on their own
I often say at work "I dont worry ..everyone else worries about what I am doing that I don't need to "

my work gear is trousers, a work shirt and a work jacket. Supplied by the company.

You are right, people do pick on one person. I don't care what they say about me but when it involves me getting a telling off by the manager I am not happy. What makes me laugh about these women I work with is, they all ***** and moan about others. They stand in corners complaining about people. Loads of whispering going on. And then they complain about people bitching about others. They all do it. honeysuckle stirring, making up honeysuckle, stories that get re told and added to so it's never the real story. I am sure they make up honeysuckle about me but as long as I don't hear it I am not bothered.

What is amazing is, 2 women who are best of friends will, when by themselves complain about the other one, say something really nasty and they go out boozing with them the next day.

Sci-Fi said:
My brother buys this cologne that smells like he took a bath in toilet water. It permeates from his room too and our mom has complained to him about it, and made him buy air fresheners for his room. He likes the cologne but both of us don't. So two people in the same house as him have complained about it but he still wears it.

There was a guy at the local paper I worked at yyyyeeeaaarrrs ago who smelled bad. The guy was one of the rural delivery drives and I was realigning the routes. I had to talk to each of the drivers about alterations they made. This guy would come in first thing in the morning with hands black from delivering papers the previous day, same clothes, look just as grungy and dirty and hadn't even started his day yet. He smelled so bad it lingered even when he was gone. One day the lady who sat in front of me got out her air freshener and sprayed it right behind him because the smell was so strong. It would bring tears to your eyes. Funny thing was, they guys wife was a nurse and they had dogs they would put into competitions. Their dogs got bathed more often, we often wondered why he just didn't hop in with them. Some people just become immune to their own smells.

Believe me I am nothing like that. Would all these customers come up to me, real close and talk to me if I stunk ?

We get smelly customers coming in every now and again. This bloke stinks of fish. This other guy stunk and he would have poo stains of his trousers. This woman stunk of dogs. This woman I work with stinks of something like sewage. Horrible. Of course nobody says anything even though I have seen people wrinkle their nose when they walk past her. Do they say anything ? No, they pick on me. ******* !

I dumped a work friend years ago for not standing up for me but rather joining in the BS
she came to me about a year later and said she was sorry and hoped I would let it go
I still dont talk to her

Unfortunately people who want to fit in will take the popular side rather than do whats right

Triple Bogey said:
my work gear is trousers, a work shirt and a work jacket. Supplied by the company.

You are right, people do pick on one person. I don't care what they say about me but when it involves me getting a telling off by the manager I am not happy. What makes me laugh about these women I work with is, they all ***** and moan about others. They stand in corners complaining about people. Loads of whispering going on. And then they complain about people bitching about others. They all do it. honeysuckle stirring, making up honeysuckle, stories that get re told and added to so it's never the real story. I am sure they make up honeysuckle about me but as long as I don't hear it I am not bothered.

What is amazing is, 2 women who are best of friends will, when by themselves complain about the other one, say something really nasty and they go out boozing with them the next day.

And...

Triple Bogey said:
Believe me I am nothing like that. Would all these customers come up to me, real close and talk to me if I stunk ?

We get smelly customers coming in every now and again. This bloke stinks of fish. This other guy stunk and he would have poo stains of his trousers. This woman stunk of dogs. This woman I work with stinks of something like sewage. Horrible. Of course nobody says anything even though I have seen people wrinkle their nose when they walk past her. Do they say anything ? No, they pick on me. ******* !

Sounds like you are being targeted and for no reason at all.

BeyondShy said:
Triple Bogey said:

And...

Triple Bogey said:

Sounds like you are being targeted and for no reason at all.

seems that way to me as well

Nobody has said anything this week. I bought this new body spray, more expensive, smells nice. I got this spray for my shoes.
And I have a new uniform, totally new everything. I didn't say anything directly to anybody. I mentioned having a bad week last week and not
feeling great. Nobody asked me why, some of them knew what had happened. I am sure some don't though.
The manager has been all over me, even sending messages on facebook. My old confidence came back, I never stay down for long.
I won't forget it though.

Latest posts

Back