Just Some Rambling.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessik

Reaction score
I have recently stopped taking all of my medications. It has been approximately three months now, and I feel very different from the way I did before. It is like having to adjust to life all over again from the ground up. I had been on medication since the second grade, so this is the first time in eighteen years since I have been on absolutely no medication. It is a strange experience.

The main thing that I have had to deal with is stress management. Withdrawal was incredibly difficult, but I managed satisfactorily. Unfortunately, there seems to be a higher base current of stress in day-to-day life than there was before I stopped taking the medication.

I attribute this to one factor: My breathing has become somewhat irregular. What I mean by this is that in certain situations, my breath seems to unconsciously restrict myself. So for example, in situations where I am using the computer, I must put forth additional conscious effort to breathe at a steady pace. If I do not, I will start to get searing headaches and eventually, panic attacks.

My social life has changed somewhat as well. During these three months, it has basically taken a turn for the worse. In fact, I liken the decline in my social skills to losing several years of social "experience". It is as if I have forgotten several years of social "knowledge", and have been slowly clawing my back to being at the level I was just three years ago!

This was especially disappointing, considering I had explosive amounts of growth in the last two years alone. Nevertheless, in three months, I feel that I have recovered perhaps about 60-80% of the social knowledge that I had lost.

I will be attending College come spring semester. That's good, I guess. it's been a while since I have been in college, and I will be studying mathematics. Between you and me, and really suck at mathematics. :D

Yes, I know, I would probably excel much more at something like a literature degree, but I am choosing math. Why? I guess because I can't stand the idea that there is something that I suck at. I don't care if my natural talents lie in more linguistic areas! I want to be a math professor!!!! :DDD!1

Thank you all for taking the time to listen to me. I've been on burnout for the last couple of days, but I should be contributing a bit more regularly now.(On second thought, I might have trouble contributing to the site regularly. It appears that my Verizon service has been cancelled, and so my Cell Phone no longer has internet access. I am writing from the desktop right now though! Good thing I downloaded all that por-er-stress relief material. Yeah, let's go with that. XD)

Wes, try a paper bag to breathe in when your breathing becomes restricted. Breathing back in a little carbon dioxide stops any panic of the restriction feeling. This is just withdrawal from your medication and will stop as your body gets used to not taking it.

a question i have is, why did you stop?
I cannot comment too much as i don't know what meds you were taking and for what, but i do know that alot of long term perscriptions as you describe are taken to try and balance something in your system that isn't being controlled naturally.
I know alot of people feel trapped or controlled by the meds, and dont ever feel balanced.. but that is simply because they may not be doing the job properly whether it be an improper does or whatever.
I hope you stopped on the advice of a doctor and not inspite of them?

Latest posts

Back