My ambulance ride and ER visit

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelyInAtl

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm at dinner on a first date. We go to a Teppanyaki type restaurant and they sre serving up HUGE portions, double of what you get in Atlanta. I ordered a combination with Lobster, Filet, and Scallops. OMG, it was SO much. So I'm chowing down and about 2/3 of the way through when I start feeling sort of warm and sweaty. I sort of remember getting a bit lightheaded, and the next thing I know I'm on the floor with all these people around me and a lady who is an Army medic asking me questions. Apparently I was out for about 30 seconds. I get my bearing and feel fine after that, other than my tongue being sore (must have bit it when I hit the ground) and a HUGE knot on my head. But, they went ahead and called an ambulance. So, I get up and go sit in a chair...fried rice getting hard all over my shirt and pants. UGH. So here I am, having been unconscious, and worrying about being embarrassed and embarrassing my date! :)

So the ambulance gets there and the EMT starts asking me stuff like what day is it, the date, year, where am I, who the president is, etc. I pass with flying colors and am considering refusing treatment. However, I start sweating a bit again so I decide to play it safe and have them take me to the ER. I get out my CC to pay the bill, but my date pays for it (bless her heart!) and they walk me to the Ambulance and strap me in.

The EMt and I are BSing on the way to the hospital while he takes my O2 levels and BP. Both are normal. I get to the ER and they wheel me in (rules, once I'm on the stretcher I'm strapped on until they get me to the ER table). I get put in Cardio 9 and I'm thinking WTF? Did I have a heart attack? FYI, if you come in on an ambulance you get go go in a private entrance and get straight into a room before the hoards in the ER waiting room! :)

So they hook me up to some TV monitor and watch my heart, respiration, BP, and O2. Everything looks fine. Nurse comes in and tells me she needs blood...great.... So she takes a few vials and leaves the kit in just in case I need an IV. Well, 5 minutes later the Dr orders an IV. Then, I get to have an EKG. They don't use the three pads like you see on TV. Those are for the TV monitor. For an EKG, they hook up like 10 black stickers to you all over...just above each ankle, you arms, chest, etc. I was afraid that at the rate he was going I was getting on on my Johnson!

Then the Dr comes in and checks me over physically. Nothing wrong except for a knot on my head. As a precaution, I get to go to radiology for a CT scan. No big deal, it took 30 seconds. Don't know why people freak out over it.

So I'm wheeled back to the room and the Radiology nurse gives me the TV remote. GOD BLESS HER, she was my favorite hospital employee of the night!

So we wait for the Dr to come back in. The nurse says I was a bit dehydrated and that he is reviewing my CT scan. I think "Great, he's found a tumor or something. That's why he's taking so long".

So, he comes in and says everything was good on my blood work and there is no abnormal internal bleeding due to my head knot. He said that it could have been that I was dehydrated but couldn't get a medical reason as to why it happened. I got wheeled to registration and check-out, paid my $80 copay, and we left.

After reading, I think it could have been the huge meal I ate. Apparently the vagus nerve can sometimes so into overdrive and cause too much blood to be redirected to the digestion system. This can cause low BP and fainting, and is not uncommon.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-connection-between-the-vagus-nerve-and-fainting.htm#slideshow

I do want to mention that my date was with me through all of this, and went back to my hotel room with me and stayed until the wee hours of the morning to make sure I was ok. She was a total sweetheart through all this and it made a very big impression with me.

Of course, I'm hoping that wasn't the ONLY reason she stayed! LOL I do owe her a makeup dinner, though. :)

Oh my god LIA, i am so sorry that you had to go through all that! On a first date too! But very glad that you're alright! :) *hugs*

And isn't your date just adorable, what a nice lady. You have to tell us all about the second date!

That was one eventful first date, one I bet you'll never forget. I'm so glad you're okay though and really even more glad your date stayed with you throughout. Means she really cares! We are all looking forward to your updates on your second date. ;)

Wow, what a chain of events! I'm glad you're okay, that must have been kind of terrifying!

I'm impressed that your date stayed with you. Someone who is that caring about almost a perfect stranger is probably someone you need to hang onto. Just sayin'. :)

Well she won't forget about you! In a wierd way sounds like a great first date! Let's hope the second one goes well, but without the ER!

I'm glad you're OK an all that but I found that story hilarious haha, it's like one of those disaster dates. You must have consumed that much food that your body used energy from keeping you conscious to digest it all haha!

I do want to mention that my date was with me through all of this, and went back to my hotel room with me and stayed until the wee hours of the morning to make sure I was ok. She was a total sweetheart through all this and it made a very big impression with me.

...Then when she went home, she made a rant thread about how she had to pay for the dinner haha

:d

Thanks for all the well wishes! Well, there was a second date already the next day which went well. Looking at going back in a few weeks and buying that make up dinner. :)

LonelyInAtl said:
Thanks for all the well wishes! Well, there was a second date already the next day which went well. Looking at going back in a few weeks and buying that make up dinner. :)

Sounds good.

Just also had to mention that whilst reading the latest updates one of the ad's on here was for private ambulances. Ah, the internet. Gotta love it!

Latest posts

Back