Obsessed With Finding Someone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lost Soul

Are you lonely?
Do you constantly think about being with someone?
Do you sometimes go out of your way to find people like you?
Do you think, that when you find someone you fancy, or if they are similar to you, you automatically think that they cold be the one?
You can't help but wonder, do you stand a chance with them?
You really want to talk to and get to know someone, that has a lot in common with you or captures your interests, but you're insecure and afraid of being hurt/rejected?
Does it bother you when you see someone of your interest with a boy/girlfriend?

This is me.

This can probably go into the loneliness thread too.

Are you lonely?
Yes

Yes

No

Do you think, that when you find someone you fancy, or if they are similar to you, you automatically think that they could be the one?
The one as in the one you could spend the rest of your life with? No

Yes

You really want to talk to and get to know someone, that has a lot in common with you or captures your interests, but you're insecure and afraid of being hurt/rejected?
Yes, definatly, so I usually avoid social situations which could mean I may have to communicate with her.

Sometimes, it depends how strong the attraction is... But not if I dont know the person a bit already. :)

Are you lonely?
Yes, I guess I am. Or maybe I am just lonely because I'm missing one specific person.

No.

No, not really.

Do you think, that when you find someone you fancy, or if they are similar to you, you automatically think that they cold be the one?
No, not really. I don't really believe in love any longer but a hopeless romantic in me still sometimes have an an utopian of wish of "finding" someone wonderful.

No.

No. And anyway, I am hardly ever interested in anyone.

Overall I don't think I am obsessed with finding someone. Quite on contrary actually. I don't do anything. I think that more than anything, I am just tired. Tired of waiting for something good to happen. Tired of being in love with the wrong person. Tired of life.

Are you lonely?
Yes

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

This is me.

Are you lonely?
Sometimes.

Nope.

Nope.

Do you think, that when you find someone you fancy, or if they are similar to you, you automatically think that they could be the one?
Nope

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

This is me.

Lost Drifter said:
Do you think that finding someone will cure your lonliness?

Yes, though I rather be with some one and be wrong then never find out.

Lost Drifter said:

I can't relate to any of the original questions, but I think the idea in your question is a big misconception. It's like saying, "Oh, I have a bottle of water. I'll never be thirsty ever again," when really, relationships don't solve the issue. I think people just enjoy the idea of a relationship, rather than looking deeper into why they feel lonely. Because people in relationships can still feel lonely, even though they aren't.

I think relationships just patch up the surface for a lot of people.

VanillaCreme said:
Lost Drifter said:

I can't relate to any of the original questions, but I think the idea in your question is a big misconception. It's like saying, "Oh, I have a bottle of water. I'll never be thirsty ever again," when really, relationships don't solve the issue. I think people just enjoy the idea of a relationship, rather than looking deeper into why they feel lonely. Because people in relationships can still feel lonely, even though they aren't.

For me it helped a lot to be in a relationship; I became content with my life and could focus on other things, though I also got feelings that my life just went past my eyes, that time passed very quickly. And later on, commitment issues.
Maybe there's a deep psychological reason but I just can't see myself perfectly content with my life without a SO. I value the time alone for introspection, improving myself and doing the stuff I won't be able to do when in a relationship, but ultimately, I'm not living the best life.

I think finding someone will definitely cure my loneliness because that's the missing link for me. I've been alone and celibate for so long now. I have my own interests, I know what I want to do with my life, but I'm missing that intimacy, romance and affection. I think the answer is very subjective based on the individual. I mean, if you've not dealt with why you are lonely, then no, finding someone will just put a bandaid on the situation.

Montreal Skye said:
I think finding someone will definitely cure my loneliness because that's the missing link for me. I've been alone and celibate for so long now. I have my own interests, I know what I want to do with my life, but I'm missing that intimacy, romance and affection. I think the answer is very subjective based on the individual. I mean, if you've not dealt with why you are lonely, then no, finding someone will just put a bandaid on the situation.

Exactly the same here aswell it is also my missing link. I feel that is the main thing that keeps me lonely, maybe the only thing. I also have friends, my own interests and I have been fairly independant my whole life.
It would be wonderful to find someone to be there for... And yes I do mean for ME to be there for, not the other way around. I think it sort of gives people a little bit more of a purpose in life if you have someone to care for who appreciates the fact you are there for them always. I would love to meet someone to share things with and be affectionate, romantic and intimate with.

ShybutHi said:
Exactly the same here aswell it is also my missing link. I feel that is the main thing that keeps me lonely, maybe the only thing. I also have friends, my own interests and I have been fairly independant my whole life.
It would be wonderful to find someone to be there for... And yes I do mean for ME to be there for, not the other way around. I think it sort of gives people a little bit more of a purpose in life if you have someone to care for who appreciates the fact you are there for them always. I would love to meet someone to share things with and be affectionate, romantic and intimate with.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I wanted to say that I agree with you about wanting to be there for someone. There's a nice aspect of comfort when you know your significant other can rely on you and can count on you. It makes you feel needed and proud that you're a good partner.

VanillaCreme said:
Lost Drifter said:

That's the exact issue I wanted to raise, some people will see relationships as the cure-all, perhaps in some cases it really is but for most it is simply a band-aid to cover up the deeper issues within.

Lost Drifter said:

Not 100%, but if it were the right person I would be a lot less lonely than I am now.

Are you lonely? Not anymore
Do you constantly think about being with someone? noooooooooooo
Do you sometimes go out of your way to find people like you? sometimes
Do you think, that when you find someone you fancy, or if they are similar to you, you automatically think that they cold be the one? Nope. But that's something I'd look for for friends too, so we can have fun/understand each other. It's nice to relate to someone.
You can't help but wonder, do you stand a chance with them? No, I don't talk to people personally to see if they match me. I only want friends.
You really want to talk to and get to know someone, that has a lot in common with you or captures your interests, but you're insecure and afraid of being hurt/rejected? No.
Does it bother you when you see someone of your interest with a boy/girlfriend? I do not currently have any interest in anyone.

*Takes the quiz*

Are you lonely?
No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Sometimes. If their Partner is a Dick to them :p

Montreal Skye said:

Same here. I long for someone, pretty much all the reason for my loneliness is becuase of not being with someone, being rejected from society becuase I am different. Having someone who truely loves me, and is there for me will mean the world.

tusk said:
VanillaCreme said:
Lost Drifter said:

For me it helped a lot to be in a relationship; I became content with my life and could focus on other things, though I also got feelings that my life just went past my eyes, that time passed very quickly. And later on, commitment issues.
Maybe there's a deep psychological reason but I just can't see myself perfectly content with my life without a SO. I value the time alone for introspection, improving myself and doing the stuff I won't be able to do when in a relationship, but ultimately, I'm not living the best life.

I hear what you're saying. I'm the same way, especially now. No, I personally don't need someone to make me happy with my life. However, I really enjoy sharing it. And that's what makes me happy. I've always wanted to share what I have with someone. A part of me always thought that I'd never be able to do that... Really back when I was in school. No one ever paid attention to me in that way. I think sharing your life with people is one of the best things you can give.

Latest posts

Back