Questions for the Men

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xpendable said:
ladyforsaken said:
Would you want to be with a woman you're potentially interested in, who is terminally ill, or is bound to have a lot of health issues, on top of all her other internal issues she may have? Consider the challenging days ahead of her, the financial responsibilities, family planning difficulties etc.

Frankly speaking and morally correct answers aside. Not everyone would be totally okay with this, I'm pretty sure.

This may sound wrong but I'll do it in part for me. Because I know many men won't be willing to put themselves through that. But I also know that women will receive me with open arms; doesn't matter how I look or what I lack. Knowing her last days could easily end with no one, she would be willing to accept me in an stance in which I could probably get overlooked and dismissed. I Know it sounds bad but I feel so rejected that this would be my deduction.

Okay.

Maybe some would be desperate enough to just accept any man just so they wouldn't die alone. Though I wonder what the point is if they can't even find any connection with that man... they'd still die feeling alone. At least that's how I see it...

But that's interesting nonetheless how you saw it.

So you'd put up with all the challenges even so?

Cavey said:
I'd be fine with it. I wouldn't say that I would relish the prospect, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I managed to make 4000 miles and a boyfriend seem like nothing when I wanted someone, so I'd just do whatever I had to do to make this work too.

Sci-Fi said:
I don't know, I guess it would all depend on the connect I had with the person. Sometimes love can be stronger than anything and bring two people together even if it will be challenging at times.

You guys make some good points.

Sometimes the connection between both parties make these challenges more bearable.

Although it can be quite conflicting for the woman if she's thinking that with that connection, it will bring more hurt to the man once it all comes to an end and with that, she may not even let it happen.

ladyforsaken said:
Okay.

Maybe some would be desperate enough to just accept any man just so they wouldn't die alone. Though I wonder what the point is if they can't even find any connection with that man... they'd still die feeling alone. At least that's how I see it...

But that's interesting nonetheless how you saw it.

So you'd put up with all the challenges even so?

Well, the connection was supposed to be there according to the question. But my point is not that they have to lower any standard but set an actual standard that goes away with the common shallowness of today. I can offer everything a healthy person can give in a relationship, except material stuff. I don't own a house or a good job. I can't provide anything else right now that isn't love and care. Only when all material concerns are irrelevant, we can see a partner for what they really mean to us.

If you are in a relationship and your SO and you have a disagreement, are you more likely to talk it through/argue about it as it happens or change the subject in an attempt to keep things calm/avoid an argument, even though your feelings regarding whatever it is you are disagreeing on are quite strong. IMO, the answer to this depends solely on an individual’s personality but a guy I know has told me repeatedly that guys don’t feel the need to talk everything to death like girls do.

How do you feel about women who have one night stands and engage in casual relationships? Would you consider them as potential serious partners or would their sexual history be a turn off?

On the other hand, how do you feel about women who have had little or zero sexual experience?

Veronika said:
How do you feel about women who have one night stands and engage in casual relationships? Would you consider them as potential serious partners or would their sexual history be a turn off?

On the other hand, how do you feel about women who have had little or zero sexual experience?

Interesting point. To be honest I would be a little put off by someone who engages in one night stands. I wouldn't think they're relationship material. Not that I would turn down a chance at a relationship anyway... but even so. I would be uncomfortable knowing their experience. I would probably think they were expecting a lot, or had some high expectations that I wouldn't be able to provide.

As for women who have had no or little sexual experience. Well, I don't have any either, so I would be fine with that.

VentVentVent said:
If you are in a relationship and your SO and you have a disagreement, are you more likely to talk it through/argue about it as it happens or change the subject in an attempt to keep things calm/avoid an argument, even though your feelings regarding whatever it is you are disagreeing on are quite strong. IMO, the answer to this depends solely on an individual’s personality but a guy I know has told me repeatedly that guys don’t feel the need to talk everything to death like girls do.

I think i would more likely talk/argue at the time and try to work it out, i do like to talk things out.

My ex and i used to talk through most things which used to help we did not tend to just be angry at each other and then blow up on each other we would discuss things at length.

Although i probably talk to much lol.

VentVentVent said:

In almost all cases I'd talk things through, potentially to death. The question is whether these disagreements are about feelings or something more tangible where it's possible to lay out actual arguments for and against a certain decision for instance. I'd be more lenient when it's about feelings alone because there's no right or wrong there. They just exist - often without factual basis.

Veronika said:

1. I'd be incredibly skeptic on whether they've managed to completely disengage from their old pattern of behavior and not just bail at the first sign of disappointment or disagreement. As a somewhat asexual individual it's unlikely we'd get along anyway. Incompatible drives and all.

2. I wouldn't mind. For all I know it might be easier to compromise.

Rodent said:
Veronika said:

1. I'd be incredibly skeptic on whether they've managed to completely disengage from their old pattern of behavior and not just bail at the first sign of disappointment or disagreement. As a somewhat asexual individual it's unlikely we'd get along anyway. Incompatible drives and all.

2. I wouldn't mind. For all I know it might be easier to compromise.

Ditto. I'm aware there can be double standards here where men aren't judged as harshly for that. Still, I'd be skeptical about their ability or inclination to commit in a way that I wouldn't be with someone with a past long-term relationship that failed.

#2, I don't really care.

Understand that most of us guys stay in constant self-evaluation mode so any insecurities lead to doubt, if your interested, try to start a conversation and see where his mind is.

SofiasMami said:
Guys - Do you prefer to be in relationships with dominant women? Not in the fetish sense but personality-wise. I also don't mean "assertive", I mean women who take charge and manage things and make most of the decisions, big or small.

-Teresa

I'm very much about equality. I don't overbear on women, but I don't take any honeysuckle either. If I'm overwhelmed it'd be nice to have someone to compromise with but I'd rather not get involved in a situation where I'd like to have someone else make my decisions for me most of the time.

VanillaCreme said:
What do some of you think about ladies who are not materialistic?

I usually end up liking them, actually. :). That question can pose a meaning of various different levels to different people though. Everyone's got their comfort zone.

ladyforsaken said:
Would you want to be with a woman you're potentially interested in, who is terminally ill, or is bound to have a lot of health issues, on top of all her other internal issues she may have? Consider the challenging days ahead of her, the financial responsibilities, family planning difficulties etc.

Frankly speaking and morally correct answers aside. Not everyone would be totally okay with this, I'm pretty sure.

I think that love is as powerful of a force of nature as Death is. Just, an opposite force. If you're truly, really in love than the illness is not frustrating because it is frustrating due to it's demands upon you, but due to it's emotional toll on you. It is very difficult, very painful, to watch someone you love die. But, people do it every day and all the time. They just don't normally really think of living as dying. Once you really become aware of life as just a giant clock, you can't become unaware of that. Regarding love?? Love doesn't care about the clock. There would be emotional pain and difficulty, but love would suggest that it's worth it. Finances, responsibilities, emotional tendencies, things like that and dealing with someone like that who's that ill and facing that. Those things all sort of become trivial, if you're really in love with the person I think.

I've learned their "history" doesn't strictly matter to me, but if that's how they typically approach relationships, it would be a red flag. I don't judge them for it, whatever floats your boat, but it just is an indicator of how they generally approach relationships, especially if this is ongoing. Also, generally it would be a pain to figure out what they actually want from you if I did go for a girl like that. It's kind of the same reason I sometimes have trouble with girls with lots of male friends- it's not that there's anything wrong with their behaviour per se, I just can't figure out if they're just being friendly or are actually interested due to the contrast of how they act with other guys

My experiences are extremely limited as well, so, wouldn't bother me personally. Though, that tends to run into the opposite problem- girls who won't give you any hint at all can be tough to read as well for me.

I guess, I prefer a middle ground. Someone actually willing to drop a guy they're interested in a hint every now and then, but not to the degree where it just seems meaningless when they do.

Looking for a bit of guy (or any female suggestions welcome too) perspective here. This isn't romantic, but I don't understand what is up. So I have an elderley relative I help out with. This relative has Carers coming in multiple times a day to do 'Personal help'. Anyway there are six of them who rotate. Two always come together. There are three guys and three women. I get on with them all except one. We chat and laugh when they come, all except one guy who doesn't look at me or talk to me. The strange thing is he is fab with the relative and I have seen him laugh and joke with the other Carers. He even talks to my son? Then when my relative was in hospital recently he texted me a message everyday asking how he was, they all knew they would be told when to resume duties by their boss. The texts were friendly too. I don't get a hostile vibe, he just seems to avoid me and when I have tried to speak to me he looks like he has pretended not to hear and moves away. Do you think it is just one of those situations were you can't get on with everyone?

Serenia said:
Looking for a bit of guy (or any female suggestions welcome too) perspective here. This isn't romantic, but I don't understand what is up. So I have an elderley relative I help out with. This relative has Carers coming in multiple times a day to do 'Personal help'. Anyway there are six of them who rotate. Two always come together. There are three guys and three women. I get on with them all except one. We chat and laugh when they come, all except one guy who doesn't look at me or talk to me. The strange thing is he is fab with the relative and I have seen him laugh and joke with the other Carers. He even talks to my son? Then when my relative was in hospital recently he texted me a message everyday asking how he was, they all knew they would be told when to resume duties by their boss. The texts were friendly too. I don't get a hostile vibe, he just seems to avoid me and when I have tried to speak to me he looks like he has pretended not to hear and moves away. Do you think it is just one of those situations were you can't get on with everyone?

Maybe he actually likes you and gets nervous about it. Who knows really.

How would you guys feel if you had a woman who did her own home-grown business? Would you support it? Have nothing much to do with it?

Latest posts

Back