What is a loser?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WL7.3 said:
It's a subjective label meant to imply failure to various degrees as a personal trait rather than as an outcome, of which the application of the term reflects the values of the labeler. No more and no less.

You're so right.

In cognitive behavioral therapy, labeling is one of the forms of distorted thinking that depressed people usually have.

Labeling either yourself or others as a loser is just going to lead you to feel bad about yourself.

From my perspective, a loser is someone who is notoriously involved in criminal activity and because of their criminal activities, they are untrustworthy and are therefore unemployable. Any person deemed as being sane who repeatedly does things to harm others is a loser IMO.

From the pop culture perspective: The individual(s) who suffers from personal psychological/emotional difficulties, i.e. ptsd, low self esteem or low self worth etc. who doesn't have the house, the wife (or spouse as may be the case), the kids, the cars, the long vacations, the sizable stock portfolio or the high salaried career is often referred to as being a 'loser' by those, uh-hem, shall we say, 'better people' in society who does enjoy the finer things in life... understand, it's just ignorance on their part. ''Just brush off your mental deficiencies and move on in your life'', they say... if only they knew.

I myself in my earlier years while in my teens & twenties enjoying life's most precious experiences, while at the same time feeling cocky about how good life was at that time, was somewhat guilty of referring to others with obvious difficulties in life as being 'lower life forms', I'll admit it.
Chalk it up to the ignorance of youth, I guess... maturity brings clarity to life.

A loser is someone who takes out their own failures and faults out on others.

No salary, status or size in genitalia has no say in regards to your general suckyness. It's only that you take it out on others is what makes you blow.

Most would consider me a loser: hardly any friends (and most of them think I'm completely useless in every conceivable way and/or are acquaintances rather than friends ), very shy for a guy, no common sense, no solid ambitions and little self esteem to speak of.

Someone who can never see anything through. Starts but never finishes.

Number of friends has nothing to do with loser status. Plenty of losers have friends.

I'm a loser because compared to my friends, those with whom I grew up, I'm still in the same place I was 10 years ago. I mean sure I make a good enough living to provide for my elderly parents and live quite a comfortable lifestyle, I can't help but feel like the black sheep when it comes to social gatherings with friends and family (and their families). Don't even get me started on my shyness and how people are so ready and willing to misread it as being "uppity".

There are no losers, just people who should not give up for their dreams, but it doesn't mean they are losers.

A loser is someone who enjoys hurting other people for sport or because it makes them feel more powerful. In my opinion, they do exist.

Skid Row 89 said:
Most would consider me a loser: hardly any friends (and most of them think I'm completely useless in every conceivable way and/or are acquaintances rather than friends ), very shy for a guy, no common sense, no solid ambitions and little self esteem to speak of.

Oh and, my god dude-you have GOT to get some love in you for yourself. And those aren't friends you speak of if they act that way. Drop them like a bad habit if that's how they behave. Why do you say you have no common sense? People who have none usually don't know it (because hey, they have no common sense :) If you really feel these things about yourself you've got to figure out a way to improve your life. Can you take up a hobby that maybe you can feel good about yourself for? A craft of some kind?

Sometimes you have to just start behaving your way to success.Start small by doing some nice things for others. Act with integrity. Work hard. Tell the truth. Some define loser financially. But we all usually consider it based on your character. If your character needs work then start today doing things that make feel like a better person. It isn't about where you are today. It is where u finish

ForGrantedWife said:
A loser is someone who enjoys hurting other people for sport or because it makes them feel more powerful. In my opinion, they do exist.

Skid Row 89 said:

Oh and, my god dude-you have GOT to get some love in you for yourself. And those aren't friends you speak of if they act that way. Drop them like a bad habit if that's how they behave. Why do you say you have no common sense? People who have none usually don't know it (because hey, they have no common sense :) If you really feel these things about yourself you've got to figure out a way to improve your life. Can you take up a hobby that maybe you can feel good about yourself for? A craft of some kind?

I don't think there's much chance of me ever liking myself, I see myself as at the point of no return for the most part (I'll be 20 by the end of this year).

Skid Row 89 said:
I don't think there's much chance of me ever liking myself, I see myself as at the point of no return for the most part (I'll be 20 by the end of this year).

Wait....20 is the point of no return? Seriously!? Unless I'm missing something here, you have decades of life ahead of you. If you don't like yourself, do something about it! Death is the only point of no return.

Locke said:
Skid Row 89 said:

Wait....20 is the point of no return? Seriously!? Unless I'm missing something here, you have decades of life ahead of you. If you don't like yourself, do something about it! Death is the only point of no return.

Yes what Locke said, and besides most people don't even know themselves by the time they are 20, and are constantly changing and growing so in no way is it a point of no return. There are people in their 80's who completely change themselves and reinvent who they are.

Locke said:
Skid Row 89 said:

Well by 20 I'd imagine most people find something they like about themselves and feel somewhat comfortable with who they are, I'll be extremely taken aback if I feel even remotely comfortable in my own skin by 30.

Skid Row 89 said:
Locke said:
Skid Row 89 said:

Well by 20 I'd imagine most people find something they like about themselves and feel somewhat comfortable with who they are, I'll be extremely taken aback if I feel even remotely comfortable in my own skin by 30.

I understand how you feel, and I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I just meant that it's never too late to make things better. There are people here in their 30's and 40's who are still trying to improve their life. And like what Garbageman posted, there are even elderly people who reinvent themselves.

Age doesn't matter if you're determined. Don't give up on yourself.

Locke said:
Skid Row 89 said:
Locke said:
Skid Row 89 said:

I understand how you feel, and I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I just meant that it's never too late to make things better. There are people here in their 30's and 40's who are still trying to improve their life. And like what Garbageman posted, there are even elderly people who reinvent themselves.

Age doesn't matter if you're determined. Don't give up on yourself.
You weren't rude. You're right.

If it's any consolation, Charlie Sheen is a looser.... A very wealthy loser.

jus sayin

Everyone is a loser to the richest man/women to the poorest man/women. In life we have all lost something or someone or fault worthless. Its just a word we place on ourselves or others place there for us or on us. What only makes someone a true loser is if they stop trying life is nothing but a twisted game with many turns sometimes your dealt a bad hand sometimes not. Just because the dice dont fall in your favor doesn't mean its time to quit the game.

Latest posts

Back