what to do, what to do...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsten

Reaction score
I need advice!
I've been dating my boyfriend pretty consistently for almost 4 years. I say "consistently" because last year we broke up for about 5 months. We're both in college, but our schools are about six hours away. We see each other maybe once a month during the school year and then spend all summer together in our hometown.
It's been hard, especially last year when he decided he wanted to give a girl at his school a chance and dumped me. He quickly changed his mind but my trust was shattered and I refused to let him back into my life for most of the 5 months. Now we've been back together for half a year (even with the girl from last year living in the apartment next to his!), and I've been so excited because he's graduating and applying for grad school! Finally, I thought, he could be at the same school as me (I'm only a sophomore so I've still got two more years here). Unfortunately his GRE scores weren't as good as we'd hoped. In fact, they were pretty dismal. Not to brag, but my school isn't the type of school that you can get into with less than impressive test scores. We're both pretty sure that he won't be accepted. Other grad schools he is applying to are a minimum of 7 hours away from me.

I've invested so much in this relationship and I really love him..I sincerely hope to marry him one day. I just wasn't planning on being apart from him for so long. Obviously the distance is working against us, as evidenced by his slip up last year. I honestly don't know if I could handle him being away from me for several more years. I feel bad asking him to take a year - even just a semester - off, to retake the GRE and reapply to my school. I know if he gets accepted to any school his parents will want him to go there, regardless of how far it is from me. I don't know what to do :(
Sorry this is so long, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why can't you ask him to retake the GRE? If retaking it and getting a better score will help get him into a better school, it seems like it's an option worth considering.

Another option is to find a school that's **just as good as yours** closer to him if he goes to a school that's far away.

Also, I know you don't want to hear this; but if he can't get into your school, it's probably best that you just move on. I know this will ring hollow to you now, but dating a guy for four years while in high school and college and then losing him isn't much of a loss actually.

But I know losing someone that you're romantically attached to is so hard. I would take a play by ear approach, but the likelihood of a good ending if he goes to another school is extremely low.

Have you been faithful to him?
What made you decide to take him back?
Can you be sure there's nothing going on with the girl next door?

Well... you are not seeing your other choice. That is to follow him to wherever he ends up. No offense, I think long distance relationships are a lie. They are a way for you to not be single, because you are scared of being single. No offense he is not worth reworking your life for, then he is not the one for you.

Latest posts

Back