Post Secret

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stone-rose

I don't know if anywhere here has heard of this. But Post Secret was started by a man named Frank Warren as an art project. He had a bunch of post cards pre-stamped with his address on it and gave it to random strangers on the street and told them to send him a secret anonymously. He now gets hundreds a day.

But the thing that's amazing is that all these people are willing to tell this complete stranger their deepest darkest secrets. I found out about this a few months ago and I was so inspired and touched by the postcards that people sent. Some of them are inspiring, some are heart-breaking, shocking and some are down right funny.
And still, it shows us how alike we all really are. Sure, everyone is different and we fight for individuality, but though we all want to be different there's this need to understand we're all the same. And Post Secret is something that truly proves that fact. Someone could be the happiest person you'll see but who knows what deep secret they hide. I'm everyone has something to hide that they are ashamed or embarrassed to tell. And some of these secrets, you can empathize and think "I know how they feel"

I've provided a youtube link so you can get a better idea of the Post Secret Project and also a link to the site where new secrets are posted every Sunday. I hope this really helps some people, because sometimes it really helps to know you don't suffer alone in something you feel ashamed of.

And also I was thinking maybe we can have our own post secret thread. Members could post their own thoughts or confessions anonymously signing in as guests. I say anonymously because I think it makes people feel safer and maybe we can see how much alike we really are ^_^

Youtube link (also, if you search post secret you can find many more collaborations others have made of secrets from postsecret):
Youtube Link
Another Youtube One
Post Secret Official Site (updated every Sunday-North America time):
Post Secret

ooh interesting. Reminds me of the video for "dirty little secret" by the all-american rejects.

(taken from wikipedia) .. The video is based on the PostSecret project, where people share their secrets on postcards. These cards are sent anonymously to the project, and some are posted on the PostSecret website. The video shows a montage of people holding up PostSecret postcards, which reveal a range of fears, embarrassment, love, deception, sadness, wishes and secret actions.

Stone Rose... I think you have an outstanding idea... in a sense, we're all sort of doing this already... however, this would make an EXCELLENT thread. Why not start it up?

Oh, and I haven't really talked with you much, but welcome to the forum. You add much to it, and you're a valued part of us now!

A4S

Well, I must say, thanks for introducing this to me :D

I've been lurking on that site for a few hours now just reading secrets, and some of them are really messed up but some of them are hilarious :p. Very interesting indeed.

I think the idea of having it here is is a good one but I don't know how you would make it anonymous without allowing guest access on the forum where it would be, and I think that would leave it open for fake secrets. Of course I suppose members could post fake secrets as well, but I think if you made it anonymous you geta more fake ones. I dunno, I'm rambling :p

anywho, to wrap this retarded post up, thanks stone-rose and I think it's a good idea.

Mmm, very cool idea. And tennisgirls, props for remembering that video. Though I've always been a little weirded out by the guy who likes to smell his own you-know-what. =/

Using the "guest" function might not even be necessary for our own thread, because a lot of members are already pretty open and honest. Personally, I already feel anonymous enough as it is. :)

That was beautiful

Them videos acutely made me cry,, Am feeling a bit like that just now,, Kinder reflecting on some stuff..

stone-rose, Thanks for posting that.

I've heard of Post Secret before and thought it was cool to hear all those anonymous thoughts out. And nice idea, stone-rose..could give some kind of relief to some.

Hmmm, but I don't really have any secrets. At least not that I know of. I would rather just post thing's with my name on it. For all intensive purposes everyone is already sorta anonomous, online and all.

If you have something you want to say. Feel free to take your time :)

Or let us know what you want to say and maybe we can try to make you talk to help you get it out.

Feel sorry that you feel a need to hide, even here. Though maybe I miss understand.

oh, man...I guess for this specific thread it would be easier for a person to open up as a guest. I think, only Bluey and admins would know whos who because they see our IPs.

I like the way it's going now, so far... that people can speak as they do now, showing their screenname, or else under the conditions of anonyminity... able to hide under the guest function. I don't think it's a weakness to want to be anonymous; sometimes it helps you get something out. Also, the point of post secret is that you want to get something out, but not really deal with the consequences of people knowing it's you...

e.m.e. said:
oh, man...I guess for this specific thread it would be easier for a person to open up as a guest. I think, only Bluey and admins would know whos who because they see our IPs.

This is true but in less we crossed referents every IP we would not know. That would be a pain staking job. Something I would not even contenplate doing. There is away to check an IP with the members name as well for the admin I believe. But even so None of us would give such information as that out.

bjarne would boot us out of here so fast it would be unbeliverble and quite rightly so.

armor4sleepPA said:
Also, the point of post secret is that you want to get something out, but not really deal with the consequences of people knowing it's you...

Yes, this was the point I meant by user posting anonymously but by no means should it be mandatory. It's create that people can share something by means of their screen. I was just thinking under the traditional post secret method, because that's what it stands for.
Even in a forum community, everyone has an identity even if it is not the "real" (I think that's the term I'm thinking of lol). And posting anonymously makes it less individual and more of a group confession. I don't know if that's even understandable but it's the best I could put it XD
But by all means, there is nothing wrong with people using their screen names. ^_^.
Also, Skorian, I think you misunderstood. My choice for the secrets to be anonymous was not a personal request, it was just to go almong with the tradition of Post Secret.
^___^

Bluey,
well, no one cares anyway probably. I just remeber I used to moderate one forum a while back and we had IPs under each members name sometimes they would have couple of diff. each time because internet providers change IPs with each new connection to internet..but not all the time. Anyway, sometimes u just want to get something off ur shoulders..but actuall deep down secrets, for some reason, I can't post so exposed.lol. Its just me though

No you raise a very valid point. We should be able to do that. I have made a thread in feed back.

Ok i just watched the postsecret video on you tube and it actually brought tears to my eyes. Nothing has done that to me in far too long.

Its so amazing. I dont know how to better explain it. Thank you stone-rose for sharing this with us :)

And i think it would be great if we could somehow post "secretly" on this thread

stone-rose said:
armor4sleepPA said:
Also, the point of post secret is that you want to get something out, but not really deal with the consequences of people knowing it's you...

Yes, this was the point I meant by user posting anonymously but by no means should it be mandatory. It's create that people can share something by means of their screen. I was just thinking under the traditional post secret method, because that's what it stands for.
Even in a forum community, everyone has an identity even if it is not the "real" (I think that's the term I'm thinking of lol). And posting anonymously makes it less individual and more of a group confession. I don't know if that's even understandable but it's the best I could put it XD
But by all means, there is nothing wrong with people using their screen names. ^_^.
Also, Skorian, I think you misunderstood. My choice for the secrets to be anonymous was not a personal request, it was just to go almong with the tradition of Post Secret.
^___^

I don't want to make you feel badly Stone, but upon second thought I am going to disagree with this idea outright. Honestly, I can think of no situation where the consequences that are faced over the net should stop people from talking. I think there should be consequences for those things that "can happen" on the net. Having guests may open up the door for strangerss "or" members to say thing's that they shouldn't. Really there is no reason to fear speaking online and being recognized. It also make's it impossible to really support those people or talk to them about things directly with no way to know who is who. At first I wanted to give you a chance to think about your idea and maybe change your mind. I honestly didn't really have an oppinion at the time. Though obviously I was already leaning a little bit this way. Even still, I voted for guests. I wish I could change that vote now.

I have had enough experiance in life dealing with people who pretend to be nice and can be very nice when they want to be, but turn into raging monster's when they think they can get away with it. It's quite possible that some of the troll's that have been here are members. I am not saying that any are. Just that it's a possibility. People need to learn to behave in an appropriate manner and know that it is not acceptable to treat other's poorly just because they can. I don't really see a need to open the door to allow people to learn or further improve such bad habbits.

A person can always create an additional account and join the board with a different name so that no one will know exactly who it is (I think).

Stone. I am going to make an assumption. Do you feel that it is difficault for you to speak about something if you are not a guest? I understand if it is difficault for you to lay claim to your own feelings. I think many people have been there at one time. It start's with a first step.

If I assume wrongly and it was just an idea that you had. Don't feel discouraged. I am sure your heart is in the right place.

Just my 2 cents.

Stone. I am going to make an assumption. Do you feel that it is difficault for you to speak about something if you are not a guest? I understand if it is difficault for you to lay claim to your own feelings. I think many people have been there at one time. It start's with a first step.

If I assume wrongly and it was just an idea that you had. Don't feel discouraged. I am sure your heart is in the right place.

Just my 2 cents.

I think you completely misread what I said. But I won't try to explain it anymore cause it seems to not become clear....
Your assumption is wrong, I have no problem speaking if I am not a guest. I will leave it there. lol. But I appreciate the thoughtfulness anyways ^_^

Well, it had to be said. As I said, I was fully aware it could be some other reason. If I didn't say it and there was any truth to it, I wouldn't be very helpful.

For all anyone knows, even now you saying what you do could be a cop out. That's all up to you in the end. Just saying that it could be, not that it is. I am not a mind reader.

If you keep trying to prove that it's not. As if you care so much that someone might have the wrong idea about something that shouldn't otherwise matter all that much. That could be because it is the truth. It's not uncommon for people to shield their wounds. Real communication is a tricky thing on the best of days.

Post a secret?

Well..it's not the most exciting but..I work two jobs. One during the day (after classes)..and most nights babysitting for my professor when she has to teach night classes..

And my 'big secret' is.... that I do not own a laptop or desktop. Had a laptop and dropped it (breaking it) two years ago. So..whenever I babysit my professor's children..I am allowed to use her 'old' laptop. And basically that's the only way I get to post here.

Thought about buying a new one..but classes are so expensive..
Anyway..that's one of mine..

The guy who does post secret Frank Warren, is coming to my college, on thursday to talk, how cool is that:)? I will go and tell you all about it and I'll even try to meet him do you want me to say anything to him or anything, I don't really know what I'd say if I walked up to him...

Latest posts

Back