Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can dance you can sing like a puppet on a string...
(03-16-2020, 07:42 PM)TheRealCallie Wrote: I'll just say it again.  You should really do your research before you post.  You clearly don't have your facts straight...or right...or make much sense.  Smile

I do my research before I post on any serious topics or debates. But I don't take religion so seriously since it's just a big game of adult make believe, to take our minds off the real issues in society. But as for the stance of Christian's vs Catholics; I'm just saying what I've heard and been told by many people throughout my life from all over Canada and all over the world(online).
So is this thread about partially religious notions of free will vs. determinism or is it about the lack of freedom in an oppressive capitalist system...

Saying what you've heard from many people is not the best pathway to facts. For what it's worth, a cursory search told me that even Christians that do not believe in the trinity of the Father, his Son and the Holy Spirit are considered Christians, like Unitarians. Some prayers are directed at the Holy Spirit specifically. Some Christians, like the Orthodox, may even pray to saints. I don't have to get why, I'm just an atheist after all. But proof that these things happen is clearly there. No doubt they argue with each other what is proper, more or less Christian...but who cares, even atheists argue with each other which principles have to constitute a proper atheism.
Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I go...
[Image: d8mV4rP.gif]
(03-17-2020, 06:33 AM)Rodent Wrote: So is this thread about partially religious notions of free will vs. determinism or is it about the lack of freedom in an oppressive capitalist system...

Saying what you've heard from many people is not the best pathway to facts. For what it's worth, a cursory search told me that even Christians that do not believe in the trinity of the Father, his Son and the Holy Spirit are considered Christians, like Unitarians. Some prayers are directed at the Holy Spirit specifically. Some Christians, like the Orthodox, may even pray to saints. I don't have to get why, I'm just an atheist after all. But proof that these things happen is clearly there. No doubt they argue with each other what is proper, more or less Christian...but who cares, even atheists argue with each other which principles have to constitute a proper atheism.

Look up "basic income support policy", and it's many benefits. The major drawback (that doesn't even require explanation) is that it costs money (duh..) Like, a lot though. But if you actually read through the benefits, as well as the previous trial run results that have been tried in Canada (Manitoba 1970, and more recently in Ontario), the benefits are far more likely to outweigh the costs, especially in the long term.

To the point though, the lack of such a system is a good part of the reason I hate capitalism. The gov will spend billions to bail out people that are already billionaires, but will only spend the bare minimum to help those that truly need it. And the current policies are ludicrous.. For example, they'd build a thousand homeless shelters before they'd consider free education, and even benefits/incentives to those that are willing to undergo it in order to become skilled workers (all while bringing in thousands more immigrants and refugees; many of which end up taking jobs that require no education).

There's plenty of programs to push people back into the work force, but none to ensure that people are happy. And because of that, there's a large amount of pissed off and ignorant people in this country. And a large mentality among the working class of telling people that are dealing with severe anxiety, and/or clinical depression, to suck it up and get back to work. There's too much of that "earn your keep" BS.. Like, really.. I didn't even ask to be born, much less born here (before anyone gets ignorant about that comment; Third world countries, dictatorships, and America, are not the only alternatives to Canada, much as people would somehow believe otherwise..).. 
Honestly, I feel that we're taught to be so dependent/subservient in this society, that we see no other option but this one. Then when you even suggest otherwise, people say that you aren't patriotic.. Do people even understand the bare bones of what that means? Like, what are we being 'patriotic' to? A bunch of dead people that died so that this country could be taken over, and molded  by the rich for the rich?