My behavior confuses me!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can you people make out what goes on in my head? I've never understood it, and I've only recently become aware I even do this.

After my mother initiated a messy, frightening divorce from my moderately abusive dad, something really spontaneous went out of me as a six year old. I became increasingly socially isolated--teased unmercifully at school for years and not supported much at home--and now I do the weirdest thing. I LONG to be in a group, and I'm not a bad leader, but then.....

Well, THEN, I do the most self-destructive things, and I'm going to try to articulate it for the first time on paper. Bear with me. I renege on agreements, I forfeit what power I have, I find fault with people (albeit silently and in my head), and before you know it, I'm out. Just like that. Happens in friendships, clubs, work, almost everything.

I'm curious how I can curb my pathological need to be an outsider-at- any-cost. Why on earth would I do such a destructive thing to myself and others? And how could I be blind to it for almost 50 years?

I can't believe I've even mentioned this--it's frightening being so naked. I'm glad you all don't know my name.

For me i had a recent event in my life which was a shocker which i guess can be compared to your 6 year old experience. Well not comparable but i guess the end result is the same.

After my shocking experiece i began to close up like a clam, school assignements were never completed (i think my grades fell faster then the stock market) debts were not paid and friendships just dried up. By the time i got out and started to fly striaght there wasnt much left in my life and like you i blamed others instead of myself.

Things are better now, stable at least but eh, gotta start picking up the pieces somewhere right?

I think once you realize your being descructive to yourself is when you can stop and start rebuilding

Yea I think ‘what if’ is meaningless thing but what if you had warm hugs at that time.
Then how about this what if I give you warm hugs now is it makes you feel difference.
(I know it quite late, Sorry for being late but I wasn’t born that time…)
If yes, thousands Hugs for you ~

Things are better now, stable at least but eh, gotta start picking up the pieces somewhere right?

I think once you realize your being descructive to yourself is when you can stop and start rebuilding
[/quote]

Maybe you're right. Maybe it is as simple as recognizing the problem. I hope what you call your shock is better--hope you're doing better. Sounds like you are. Thanks for your insight--I guess the phenomenon is kinda common. I just don't understand why I'd lie to myself for so long!

it's sort of good that you bring it to the surface and write about it..maybe in a journal.
Recognition is always the first step to recovery.

Self sabatage...porbably associated with you not feeling or thinking you're good enough.
A since of guilt most children experince when thier parents diviorce. Most children blame themselves
why the parents got a divorce.

Then carry this sort of self sabatage into adulthood.

Yes..love yourself and sort of a reparent yourself process.

Latest posts

Back