A website for those who need to meet new friends (or just get out of the house)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
I was responding to another thread when I remembered a really good website for people like us. People with no friends who need to make new ones, people who need an activity, people who need to practice socialization. People like us, who often are not in to the bar/club thing and need a different way to 'get out there'.

That website is Meetup.com. It's free and pretty cool.

Basically you can either join 'Meetup Groups' in your area for various reasons, or if you want to pay a subscription you can start your own Group. That's the only time you'll pay for anything is if you start your own. But there's plenty out there already, and people actually do come to the meetings.

Groups can focus around anything. For instance, even in my sparsely populated area, there's active groups related to:

-Singing/Songwriting
-Cooking
-Motherhood
-Outings (they go hiking, camping, or just meet for a meal now and then)
-Metaphysics

If all that (and more) is within 30 miles of me, I can't imagine what sort of groups a more populated region would have!

I really hope some of you at least check this out. I went to one or two meetups with a political group back before the primaries were even picked...we had some pretty interesting discussions and we all brought food. So it is pretty cool :) But I think this could be a good useful tool for some of us if we try it. It's the perfect way to have a shot at establishing a social network.

Let me know if you decide to join a meetup group. I'd be interested to hear your results :)

I looked through it in the other threads yu posted it in. Out of the 22 pages of meetups, I saw maybe three that i maybe might have wanted to possibly go to if I was forced.

It sucks being the odd man out.

Thanks Brian

On the other hand, I think I have too much pride to do those meet up. I figure if I can't make friends the right way via approaching people then I'm destine to failure. I rather not take the easier route even if it mean being extremely lonely. Gosh I'm stubborn, must have got it from my dad.

Chris 2 said:
Thanks Brian

On the other hand, I think I have too much pride to do those meet up. I figure if I can't make friends the right way via approaching people then I'm destine to failure. I rather not take the easier route even if it mean being extremely lonely. Gosh I'm stubborn, must have got it from my dad.

That is just ridicules. Your telling me you wont meet up with other ppl that wont the meet up and are after the same as you out of pride?

You come on here and talk to other ppl about stuff that's similar to why where here. whats the difference? Also if you wont meet them up is it the same when you see someone in class that you would like to be friends with. I mean would you not go say hallo to them cos you proud or cos your shy? There is a difference. If its out of pride I well be honest here. You need to seat your self down and have a long and hard talk to yourself me old muckier.

Oh and cool link Brian, Thanks for posting it :)

It's not like an Alcoholics Anonymous group for lonely people or anything, Chris :) Tons of 'normal' social people use the site; it's just a convenient way to connect with people of similar interests.

No different than joining a book club through a library, really.

Nice, I imagine somewhere in the US there must be a number of these in almost any area. I searched for groups in my own city just out of curiosity. There's one, apparently for computer programmers to talk about MySQL, LAMP, PHP (these terms are saying anything much to me) with a pint of beer. Not exactly my area of expertise, I'm afraid :p

I think it's a great idea. Just wish there were some in my area. Just two political groups (don't get me started on politics please. lol) and one that has to do with Boy Scouts.

Bluey said:
Chris 2 said:
Thanks Brian

That is just ridicules. Your telling me you wont meet up with other ppl that wont the meet up and are after the same as you out of pride?

You come on here and talk to other ppl about stuff that's similar to why where here. whats the difference? Also if you wont meet them up is it the same when you see someone in class that you would like to be friends with. I mean would you not go say hallo to them cos you proud or cos your shy? There is a difference. If its out of pride I well be honest here. You need to seat your self down and have a long and hard talk to yourself me old muckier.

Nah it not like that at all. From my own perspective those "meetup" would be if you were unable to make friends in real life (case in point<, but not giving up) so you go to those things in hope of making some. However it is sort off like online dating or second life, where you can't personally ask a girl out in real life, so thus you must rely on an easier alternative. I'm not saying all "meet up" is like that, but I think I prefer to find friends the hard way, at least then I know I have overcome something that is driving me nuts all these years. And anywho I don't see any young college students there anyway, I think I check all the one in my area. Bummer

Chris 2 said:
Bluey said:
Chris 2 said:
Thanks Brian

Nah it not like that at all. From my own perspective those "meetup" would be if you were unable to make friends in real life (case in point<, but not giving up) so you go to those things in hope of making some. However it is sort off like online dating or second life, where you can't personally ask a girl out in real life, so thus you must rely on an easier alternative. I'm not saying all "meet up" is like that, but I think I prefer to find friends the hard way, at least then I know I have overcome something that is driving me nuts all these years. And anywho I don't see any young college students there anyway, I think I check all the one in my area. Bummer

I think you read to much into it. Have a look, if there is someone there you would like to meet then see if she or he would also like to meet then go meet. it could not be moor simple. But of course if there is no one there you wont to meet right now then that's different.

I do get what your saying about making friends the hard way. Well there is always a reason why you make friends with someone. I have never made a friend from randomly walking up to some one in the street and start talking to them. Well-maybe I did at 5 years old or something haha.

Chris 2 said:
Nah it not like that at all. From my own perspective those "meetup" would be if you were unable to make friends in real life ...

My understand is that if you were to make friend with any of these people it is done in "real life". The PC is only a tool just like posting the notice of a gathering on a telephone pole or in the newspaper. Their idea seems to be less internet time and more face to face time or what i assume you are calling "real life".

LonelyDragon said:
I think it's a great idea. Just wish there were some in my area. Just two political groups (don't get me started on politics please. lol) and one that has to do with Boy Scouts.

Yup one political and one religious one here. That is an improvement, when i checked it a few months ago there was only the political one.

Bluey said:
Chris 2 said:
Bluey said:
Chris 2 said:
Thanks Brian

I think you read to much into it. Have a look, if there is someone there you would like to meet then see if she or he would also like to meet then go meet. it could not be moor simple. But of course if there is no one there you wont to meet right now then that's different.

I do get what your saying about making friends the hard way. Well there is always a reason why you make friends with someone. I have never made a friend from randomly walking up to some one in the street and start talking to them. Well-maybe I did at 5 years old or something haha.

I actually did but that another story. It was a long time ago anyway and it was when I was pretty "badass" if i do say so myself. Skipping school, getting in troubles, hanging out with the wrong crowd, being in the principle constantly, yup pretty much the other side off me that is pretty much a secret:p

Minus hit the nail on the head. It's basically just an organizing tool for real-life activities. Truth be told the online communications part of it is pretty minimal ;)

I wish there was a mountain biking group around here. I want to get a bike next spring and I need to find a group to ride with. I'd start one myself except I don't really have any experience at it...there are lots of people posted as interested, though...

Brian said:
Minus hit the nail on the head. It's basically just an organizing tool for real-life activities. Truth be told the online communications part of it is pretty minimal ;)

I wish there was a mountain biking group around here. I want to get a bike next spring and I need to find a group to ride with. I'd start one myself except I don't really have any experience at it...there are lots of people posted as interested, though...

You could start a normal biking club. something that dose not come across as to infusiastic to start with.

I probably should join a hiking club, a bit I think it too late to apply, but the more lonelier I get, the more lazier I become as well.

Latest posts

Back