4 months of smoking 20 cigs every second day, how much did i damage my lungs?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindster

Reaction score
about 6 monts ago i stopped smoking that lasted 4 months and after that to this day i smoke mby 3-4 cigs monthly when i am at party. I know my lungs arent as healthy as before i started smoking but 3-4 cigs won't ruin me right? I also go to gym every day and i do some cardio too?

You've damaged your lungs pretty bad. My wild guess is that it'll take 1-2 years of good cardio to get your lungs back to the way they were but of course after just a week of not smoking they'll recover to 90%. Of course, some effects are irreversible. If you're young (let's say pre-20-25), your growth has been stunted for the time because cigarettes inhibit it.

This is coming from a smoker.

Are you saying you've only smoked for 4 months?

If so, lol, you've got nothing to worry about. (flame away, others)

Most damage done to your lungs is reversible before the age of 30-35.

4 months, or 16 weeks, is not going to do any long term damage at your age as long as you have now stopped.

Your lungs are pretty good at clearing themselves, and 16 weeks isn't long enough to do any real genetic structural damage - the sort of which causes lung cancer later on for long-term smokers.

I smoked as a teenager. A lot of cannabis, which is inhaled deeper and tends to do more damage. I smoked from around 15 til I was 21/22, so at least 6 years. I'm now 26 and my lungs are completely healthy, and have been for a few years. It took weeks before I noticed a difference, and a few months before my lungs were back to healthy.

As a poster above has said though, if your lungs were "super healthy" and you were athletic, it will take a bit longer to get back up to full power again. But I wouldn't worry about lasting damage at this stage.

Well done for quitting :)

So you smoked before, but six months ago you quit, lasing 4 months and now you smoke 3-4 cigarettes a month? Is this right?

If so it all depends on how much/long you was smoking before the quit. As everyone says, your lungs can heal, yes it does take time, and you're doing the right thing going the gym and whatever, but you're still slowing the healing down as you're still smoking; see what I'm saying?

There's some information here that goes into some detail.

Latest posts

Back