A controversial issue

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hye345

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this question belongs in this section, but here it goes.

I've been a lurker at these forums for about a month or so, and one trend I've noticed is this: whenever advice is offered that suggests that someone (usually the OP) needs to change certain features about him/herself to become more socially acceptable (assuming this is what the OP wants), there is always a group that fervently suggests that its not there fault, that its all societies fault for being too superficial, shallow, etc...

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this were. My personal opinion is that while I would not suggest that anyone change their core personality just to become more popular (baring the most extreme cases of ODing on solitary hobbies), I would say that there is a very important difference between a social preference, and a and a social weakness: the former can be a (solitary) hobby that you enjoy, or maybe wanting to have some time to yourself from time to time. The latter, on the other hand, is more along the lines of being socially awkward/isolated to the point of missing out.

So in my case, I like topics such as astronomy and history; these are stuff that I might research by myself in my free time. I would NEVER ditch these interests just to gain additional friends, because I find them fascinating and intriguing. However, on the flip side, I would admit that these subjects aren't always the best avenues through which to meet new people (though sometimes they are). So, among other things, one of my new years resolutions is to learn how to play either the guitar or the keyboard, which along with solitary enjoyment, is more likely to lead to meeting and connecting with more individuals.

To me its more about balance.
Im a mucian. I've been known to get
heavily into my music that it effects
Other area of my life. Such as relationships,
Work, personal shores...etc.

I've also had/ have hobbies that have social
Interactions..such as R/C modeling.
I enjoy music and aviation. I can talk al
Day and night about music and aviation.
Theory,mechanical, history...etc.
These interest in itself brings balance
Into relationships. It prevents me from
Losing myself in relationships or prevents
My partner and i arguing over spelt
milk if we spend too much time together.
Especially if we live together.
Ive also used to be heavlily or addicted to vedio games.

Im also a recivefing adduct. I stopped using drugs over 21 years ago.
Addictions is not exclusive to drugs.

Most addicts isolate themselves while
In their addiction. Blames anyone and
Very one for their living problems..
Society included.
Addiction is also a disease of denial.

OCPD...MEAMING I HAVE ADDICTED PERSONALLY.

I also grew up in a dyfunctional bone.

Mozt of the things people write on. Board
Is. Nkt new fo ne...
Ive read pkenty of it in recovert litterature
Or know plenty of people in recovery at
Vari stages of recovery. Weather they're
The acfual addict themselves, grew up
In a dysfunctional environment or both.

I cant fix anyone...basic recovery principles.
The oNly person i can change us myself.

The serenity prayer and the wisdom.

I agree completely that you should not ditch some of your interests just because they are unusual . Two of my main interests are the Finnish language and reading about North Korean history and society, and I wouldn't drop them for anybody. I think it is good that you are considering taking up additional hobbies which more people share, though. I joined a French group because more people speak French than Finnish, though Finnish will always be my first love.

Who you are is who you are, quirks and all. If someone doesn't like them, well that is their problem.

I think if you're naturally introverted, you should make some effort to be social and friendly. If you don't want to bother with other people and/or have a jaded view of them, that's something you need to change with your attitude.

However, I don't think anyone should ever have to change what they like doing or their own fundamental personality to find a place in society. To me that's wrong.

So really there is a call for a mix of both approaches to loneliness.

I think it depends on what the poster wants for themselves. If you're striving to be more social and people advise you to maybe dress differently to build their confidence, than I don't think it's a problem. Changing small things is not really bad advice or impossible, and people do get judged on their appearance.

However, if someone is clearly incapable of just willing themselves to change and it's clear from the post, than advising the person to change that very thing which can't be changed can just make the OP feel worse about themselves. For example, if someone has clinical depression and they make a depressing post and then you go to the post and say "Just think positively! You have to make yourself happy!" the poster might feel shitty because he's already trying to do that and is unable.

Thing is, you can't always tell what the OP does or doesn't have control over or what should or shouldn't be changed. I think if the OP has a problem with some of the advice given they should say so themselves. I think people jumping to the OP's defense without actually knowing what the OP did with the given advice might be a bit presumptuous.

Advice, suggestions, or Good Orderly Directions....,
Had pretty much gone out
The window for me.lol

Im probably the worst of fhem all in real life.
READ THE BOOKS, ATTENDED THOUSANDS OF MEETINGS,
WORKED THE 12 STEPS, WORKED ON ALL KINDS SUGGESTIONS
FROM SELF HELP BOOKS.

See...this is where GOD comes into play.
Becuase Im POWERLESS.
And the GOD of my understanding, which
I don't understand.lol

You must ponder this...
Sure i want happiness, love, wealth and a good
life like everyone.

Ive bonces off the situation with Renae
With almost everyone i know in real life.
Family, friends, coiselor, spomsors, strangers.
9 out of 10 people suggests that i not pursue
Her...
Heck, even Renae herself thinks Im crazy for
Wanting to be with her, sometimes.lol
And theres been a lot of dramma and trumma.
So people can say.." i told you so"
Well...I know it so too.
Cuase if I take my own advice, I wouldn't be
Here with her either.lol

K..with knowledge and prior toxic relationship experience that narly kill me..

Here I am...
And Renae and my relationship is
Beyound text book...no , no ,no

This is were my feelings of lonelyness
comes in..
I don't live alone. I have plenty of
Friends and family.
Ive even lived with and dated women
While Renae and I wete saperated.
And those women are pretty, nice
And more well than Renae.

Ive had plenty of people questioned me
Why I broke up with Jenn.
Jenn was a pretty and nice women.
Mkst of my male friends were after her.
Jenn was basically the perfect wife.
She took good care of me and she loved me alot.
People were questioning me and telling me.
Basically advising me about Jenn.
What in the hell was wrong with me...

Have anyone here walked away from
A beautiful living kind women?

I love Renae.....
I know shes al l messed up and
Have all kinds of problems..

I love Renae very much.
And ill hate you if you tell me
To stop loving her.

Ive also been in recovery for almost 21 yrs.
Im fully awear of the fact that very few
People obtain long term soberiety.
Ive seen thousand upon thousands
Of people go through recovery then
Relasp. Most people get 2 years then relasp.
RENAE has many other issues.
Serious self inflictong wounds and mutilations
issues. Most people would rather not deal
with het and suggest that i don't.

I dont have all the answers. I do know i love her.

Love is blind

Good to hear everyone's views. I agree with the basic tone: that trying to improve yourself is nothing to feel bad about. A lot of people seem to think that somehow, if they become more socially acceptable by altering aspects of their personality, they are 'giving in' to society's whims. This would be true if they were asked to keep up with the latest TV shows, music, etc.. but being more agreeable, less argumentative/anal/abrasive, and generally being more pleasant to be around isn't "shallow", it shows maturity.

I also think that 'personality' is a more fluid concept than most people give credence for. Certainly clinging onto an aspect of 'personality' that harms you is as sane as to continue to nurse a poison close to your chest because "it is me."

That's just silly.

My problem is that, as a musician who has social anxiety, I don't perform outside of my room. I record in a home studio, and share my music online and with friends (who all tell me it's awesome), but I don't have a following outside of the internet - and I am trying to change that.

Hell, when I lived in a big city but a small community within it, I was constantly being asked to perform at places. I turned them all down, because I was afraid that I would be laughed at. I signed up for an Open Mic night, was on the billing, and then never showed...people were very upset at me for that, but not half as much I was at myself. I kept on thinking, "I could take my guitar down there, and...no, I just can't!...but I have to...but I just can't", etc etc.

Society is flawed, and yes it is unkind to shy and socially awkward people...but there is something to be said about confidence and being outgoing, because it actually gets your foot in the door. If I could suddenly change my introvert status to extroverted, I would, in a heartbeat!

Latest posts

Back